• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need recommendation on a solid scope base

chinalfr

NES Member
Recently, I acquired a savage 10 and looking for recommendation for a solid one-piece picatinny scope base. So far, my research from looking online vendors seems resulted many different brand and price range. Seems like there are 2 different material on making a solid scope base.

So my question will be
1. What is the difference between alum & steel based scope base? Price is vary between aluminum & steel. Steel cost twice or more than aluminum.
2. Any preferences on brand? Nightforce, EGW, Warne, Badger Ordinance, etc......
3. 0,20,30,40 MOA scope based, which one to choose?

I have no budget limitation. I'm not always looking for most expensive/best branding rather I will spend on getting a solid mount that will lasted/performed well. I will also replaced rem 700 scope based after the savage 10.

TIA.

Al,
I had a Ken Farrell steel 20 MOA mount on my Savage FP10. You can get them directly from him. I would recommend the steel over the aluminum just because it is more rigid. As far as going with a 0-40 MOA mount, I guess it would depend on what is the furthest distance your going to be shooting. The other factor would be on the amount of adjustment you have on the scope? I went with the 20 MOA as it would give me the ability to go out further than 600 yards if I ever decided to. Good luck!

Brian

EGW makes a solid product, usually for less money.

You need to determine the MOA of the rail by the scope you're using, and the maximum range you want to dial.

I have had EGW aluminum bases on several guns. Quality at a fair price. Steel is of course stronger than aluminum. Steel is also more costly to machine, therefore steel bases are more expensive. I would also recommend a 20 MOA base, this will allow you still zero as close as you want, but will also give you more elevation range to reach out to extreme range if you ever want to.

Steel because its stronger. 20 moa so you can shoot some distance if you get the chance. N/F or Badger because I trust there quality.

Back
Top Bottom