• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need pointers rifle shooting

dannyk45

NES Member
Need some pointers to fine tune my accuracy at 100 yards and out. I have a Remington 700 SPS in .308 with a Barska 8x32x44 scope. Wondering if anyone has some pointers for me. Should I start shooting at closer ranges then move out gradually.I have always shot accurate as far as hunting and never have really tried for tight groups, if I could hit a soda can at 100-200 yards I was happy. Now with my rather new purchase I want a tight group.I would imagine at 100 yards this rifle should be shooting a 1" group or less is that too much to expect with factory loads, I am shooting 150 grain Remington Core lokts.

Last edited:
Need some pointers to fine tune my accuracy at 100 yards and out. I have a Remington 700 SPS witha Barska 8x32x44 scope. Wondering if anyone has some pointers for me. Should I start shooting at closer ranges then move out gradually.I have always shot accurate as far as hunting and never have really tried for tight groups, if I could hit a soda can at 100-200 yards I was happy. Now with my rather new purchase I want a tight group.I would imagine at 100 yards this rifle should be shooting a 1" group or less is that too much to expect with factory loads, I am shooting 150 grain Remington Core lokts.

You should be able to get 1 MOA or better with that rifle but possibly not with the Core lokts. You may want to find some factory match ammo such as Black Hills, Hornady, Federal etc.

Dry fire. Consistency equals accuracy, get some training rounds and practice your dry firing. What position are you shooting from? Those rounds are not conducive to accuracy. Starting off, your better off shooting 150gr FMJFB American Eagle, I generally get about .75MOA with them, easily. Once you can attain 1MOA or better with that, then switch to match ammo.

I agree with Marlet and with Wahsban. The Appleseed program is a must, for both iron sights and scope, it will really help you out, and shooting some match ammo will show you what the gun can do. I have 2 PSS in 308 and I hand load but I used to shoot Federal Gold Metal Match with 168 grain Sierra BTHP with great results. If you are ever in CT drop me a note (PM) I grab a hand full of hand loads and we will hit my 200 yard range.
Good luck

The best investment you can make at this point in time is training. The best rifle in the world and a stock pile of match grade ammo doesn't mean much of anything if you don't have your fundamentals down pat. I'd highly recommend you attend an Appleseed.

I'll echo the idea on training.

That rifle will perk up pretty well with some custom ammo.

I recommend 168 match bullets for serious target work.

I recommend the 165 grain Sierra GameKing Hollow Point Boattail for hunting work. That's an expanding hollow point, works well on deer, and has been known to take down a 575 pound moose (with a .308 mind you).

You could go to 150 gr FMJ for practice ammo, just know the accuracy isn't going to be quite as good.

I would love to attend an appleseed, but unless there in the Springfield area and on my one weekend off a month it probably wont happen.

Need some pointers to fine tune my accuracy at 100 yards and out. I have a Remington 700 SPS in .308 with a Barska 8x32x44 scope. Wondering if anyone has some pointers for me. Should I start shooting at closer ranges then move out gradually.I have always shot accurate as far as hunting and never have really tried for tight groups, if I could hit a soda can at 100-200 yards I was happy. Now with my rather new purchase I want a tight group.I would imagine at 100 yards this rifle should be shooting a 1" group or less is that too much to expect with factory loads, I am shooting 150 grain Remington Core lokts.
1 MOA is a lot to expect out of factory ammunition and a production rifle from a major manufacturer.

[rofl]

-he must have seen you shoot then. that 180 thing you do is NOT cool [thinking]

ughh.. i totally need more rumors started about me thanks! [rofl]

i was referred to as "the infamous dench" while at work last week, apparently i have one hell of a reputation on this place [rofl]

I'll echo the idea on training.

That rifle will perk up pretty well with some custom ammo.

I recommend 168 match bullets for serious target work.

I recommend the 165 grain Sierra GameKing Hollow Point Boattail for hunting work. That's an expanding hollow point, works well on deer, and has been known to take down a 575 pound moose (with a .308 mind you).

You could go to 150 gr FMJ for practice ammo, just know the accuracy isn't going to be quite as good.

You can take down a moose with most any caliber if you do it right :p. My dad and I have brought down 3 moose between the 2 of us all with .270, mine was 150gr fed fusions, his were whatever he uses for deer rounds, I think 130gr. His first one was 953 lbs at 360 yards.

Get American Eagle 150gr FMJFB, anything more wil lbe a waste of money at this point.

I generally shoot really well in other calibers. I really thought it was the rifle or the scope that was shooting bad. I changed the scope and had the same results and never thought about ammo always used the core lokts hunting with no problems, but I guess a 3-4" group is fine for hunting.

The Barska scopes have a reputation for not holding zero when moving the zoom. They otherwise hold zero fine.
I thought that might be the problem, but it seems to not be, now.

I generally shoot really well in other calibers. I really thought it was the rifle or the scope that was shooting bad. I changed the scope and had the same results and never thought about ammo always used the core lokts hunting with no problems, but I guess a 3-4" group is fine for hunting.

Shooting is shooting regardless of weapon system or caliber; the fundamentals remain the same. Ive never been a fan of Remington ammo in the first place, I am familiar with the ones your talking about, they are not conducive for the range or accuracy. I get .75MOA consistently with AE. At the end of the day as long as your shooting within the system and ammo capabilities you should be happy with how you are shooting.

I guess a 3-4" group is fine for hunting.
At what distance?

A 4" group at 100 yards is NOT going to remain so at 300.

It is impossible to give you pointers on shooting a rifle without one-on-one coaching. You have been given the advice to get good ammunition to eliminate that factor. You als NEED to dump anything that says Barska on it. They are cheap crap.

You MUST have a high quality sight if you intend to be able to shoot with any degree of accuracy. At a minimum that means a Burris Fullfield or Leupold VX2.

Besides that, you need to find someone who is a competent marksman that can teach you to shoot from various positions (sitting, standing, prone, etc) without the use of a bench.

People who use their rifles exclusively for hunting are, in general, some of the worst marksmen when real accuracy is demanded. Don't take it personally, but that's how it is.

There are several shooters here that can easily do a 3 to 4 inch group from the prone position using iron sights at 400 yards. Find them, swallow the ego, and learn from them.

Back
Top Bottom