• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need new washer and dryer (and a good dealer)

chris_1001

NES Member
So, my washer crapped out and decided to replace them both. As such I need some recommendations on whats a good brand these days and a good place to get them.

Anyone have any recommendations or work for a place?

And I need a stacking set, electric dryer.

Always something...

Thanks!

Edit to add: I'm in Franklin MA

Last edited:
Speed Queen all the way. Solid built and great guarantee. From their website:

Quality describes us and our products. The reason Speed Queen washers and dryers can last 25 years in your home is because we take a mindful and deliberate approach to building the most reliable products on the market. We pay attention to every detail, we only use the highest quality parts and we never cut corners. For over a century, we’ve been earning loyal fans, simply by providing reliable washers and dryers that last.

Stay away from the high tech water sensing models with 30 different digitally controlled cycles. Investigate the issues with the front loading models including mold.

This /\. I bought a expensive front load setup. Within 6 months it was services multiple times. After a year I gave it away and bought a speed queen. They are not pretty, looks like from the 80s but they work.

So, my washer crapped out and decided to replace them both. As such I need some recommendations on whats a good brand these days and a good place to get them.

Always something...

Thanks!

PMed you

Where in MA?

Not Lowez or Seyurz. Skip em both. Go to a real appliance shop. One with a repair guy on staff already. In Taunton, that place is Ray's Appliance.

I was just in 3 weeks ago upgrading my fridge. I honestly didn't care about price. Ray's has taken good care of me for over a decade, I wasn't worried.

They came back - without asking - with the best price on the fridge I wanted. And had all the paperwork for the rebate ready for me. Fall River I've heard good things about that place on the corner of President Ave and Davol St. Appliance Somethingorother. Outside of that, I dunno.

Also - ask the appliance folks. They know what needs repairs and what lasts. And what's a deal or steal.

I had a discussion with the tech that repaired our dishwasher last month. He said that speedqueen was the brand to get for washer and dryer.

I'm hoping to avoid the usual places (HD/Best Buy/Lowes etc).

I've heard great things about speed queen, but trying to keep it to under $2K...

The ones I have now are Whirlpool. Lasted 10 years. Dryer is fine. So might sell it on CL. Sadly I need front loaders.

For washer, seriously consider fixing yours. The new models conserve water and never really soak your clothes, they simply don't come out clean. Plus the direct drive washers have no balls and can't spin a blanket, robe or mop head, they just shut down and leave you with twenty pound lump of fabric.

I dumped my old fashioned ones and bought front loaders. The new front loaders haven't had any operational problems, just design problems. I wish I'd have kept the old tub washer. As long as the washer tub doesn't rust out, these things are very easy to fix once you learn how to disassemble.

If you are close to a Sears outlet store you might check them out. I got a hell of a deal on a stacking Kenmore set still going strong after 10 years. I think there is one in Shrewsbury.

Always something...

Thanks!

Edit to add: I'm in Franklin MA
as was stated already in this post, stay away from Lowes, HD, Best Buy, etc. No service at all and many have the manufacturers build to their specs to cut costs (ie. cheaper internals). If you don't mind jumping over to North Smithfield RI my stepfather owns a small "mom and pop" appliance store right on Eddie Dowling Highway. Dannys TV & Appliance. Don't let the inventory scare you, he can get everything and anything generally next day (large scale buying group). he knows his stuff and has been in the business for 30 years...justdipping his toes in retirement, hence the lightish inventory.

I agree with the speed queen if you want it to last! my wife owns a hair salon, about 6 loads of towels a day, we were replacing bLowes washers every few years. bought a speed queen commercial unit at nate lions in fall river, 6 years now and not even a noise form it. However keep in mind it is a no frills unit top loader, even the sales person told us no to the front loader knowing what we were doing with it.

We just got LG washer/dryer. They are stacked on top of each other. They work great, are super quiet, and I can run them with the APP on my phone sitting on my couch! HA!

One pain....becuase they are stacked, the dryer cord was 2 inches too short to reach down to the 3 prong plug! ARGH. And, cords longer than 6 feet are hard to find. I ended up un-screwing the plug recepticle from the wall and pulling an inch or so of slack up to make it reach.

I bought a Maytag Duet frontload set best thing I ever did uses less than half the water of the top load and I haven't had any problems in almost 10 years.

If you do decide on the frontload make sure you get the platforms that they stand on. If you don't get used to loading them on your hands and knees. The platforms have a drawer in them good for storing detergent fabric softener and other things.

We bought all our appliances from Poirier in Norwood. Certainly not the cheapest but they have great service. We had a few minor problems and they jumped right on them. One problem occurred a day or two after the warranty ran out and they covered it without question.

I dealt with the owner and he was a straight shooter. They know their products and more importantly have a solid service department. Another member here on NES turned me on to them. The other member had purchased a high end appliance, Viking/Sub-Zero I think, and another dealer couldn't get it to work right. Viking/Sub-Zero referred the guy to Porier who fixed it right away.

Anyone here ever buy used washer/ dryer? Recently had an accepted offer and need to get that and a fridge. Leaning towards Craigslist.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Anyone here ever buy used washer/ dryer? Recently had an accepted offer and need to get that and a fridge. Leaning towards Craigslist.

Like anything on Craigslist buyer beware. Older refrigerators seem to run forever, I would not buy used unless I saw them run.

Whitco in Spencer is a good place for appliances and they are having a sale on all appliances.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife has had good luck getting stuff on the Facebook market place.

I'd avoid newer Maytags. The old washer/dryer from the early 90's I have are only just starting to die. The newer kitchen stuff I have is falling apart at the seams (about 5yrs), probably the QC has leaked over to the washer/dryers.

We bought a GE set when we built our house 2 1/2 years ago. Washer died a couple months after 1 yr warranty was up. Salesman had recommended Speed Queen. We cheapes out and it cost me in the long run.

I've been told to keep away from the Korean stuff (Samsung, LG) as parts are tough.

Speed Queen all the way. Solid built and great guarantee. From their website:

Quality describes us and our products. The reason Speed Queen washers and dryers can last 25 years in your home is because we take a mindful and deliberate approach to building the most reliable products on the market. We pay attention to every detail, we only use the highest quality parts and we never cut corners. For over a century, we’ve been earning loyal fans, simply by providing reliable washers and dryers that last.

Stay away from the high tech water sensing models with 30 different digitally controlled cycles. Investigate the issues with the front loading models including mold.

THIS X2. The Speed Queen stuff might fool you - no blinking LED's, no multicolor display panels, not connected to your iPhone. But they work and they don't break.

For washer, seriously consider fixing yours. The new models conserve water and never really soak your clothes, they simply don't come out clean. Plus the direct drive washers have no balls and can't spin a blanket, robe or mop head, they just shut down and leave you with twenty pound lump of fabric.

I dumped my old fashioned ones and bought front loaders. The new front loaders haven't had any operational problems, just design problems. I wish I'd have kept the old tub washer. As long as the washer tub doesn't rust out, these things are very easy to fix once you learn how to disassemble.

Stay away from High Efficiency washers, they simply dont do the job.

Back
Top Bottom