• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need new .223 sizing die help. UPDATE

TZCHRIS

NES Member
My Lee .223 sizing die is beat, not sure why? I clean and tumble brass before decapping and sizing and always use dry lube but lately my brass is getting stuck in the die to the point where I need to use a hammer and punch to remove it. I have sized about 6K rounds and now its time for new die. Is this 'normal' for the dies to wear out after 6K rounds?

Looking for new sizing die only. Want to get something that will last. Found these but why are their 2 dies? What should I get that will last?

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Ma...nlabel=index&productId=2119&route=C09J042N142

Thanks, Chris

UPDATE POST # 27

Last edited:
You don't want those dies (in your link). That's a neck size set. If you're loading for anything but a bolt gun (or single shot) or for more than one rifle, you need to full length size.

What do you mean by dry lube? Have you given your die a really good cleaning? Try this stuff: Frankford Arsenal Case Lube 8oz Pump

I've put more than 50K cases through through an RCBS FL .223 sizing die (using the lube above) and it still works.

I had a problem similar to yours it was caused by not lubing dies up before storing them. I used a dremell with a polishing wheel with some compound, it did the trick. Also always had trouble with dry lube, try rcbs case lube and use it sparingly. And like eddie says only use neck sizer if your loading for a bolt gun.

I would think with a shell plate and die set you would be good to go.

Just saw the price of a new loadmaster in 223. $245. For that price it might be worth buying a new press instead of messing with changing your primers, powder measure etc every time. Just need a bigger bench. [smile]

I would never by another Lee product again, just my opinion, QC has been going down hill for a long time now. The only dies I buy now are Hornandy or Redding

Code:
Scotchbrite is pretty mild, what would you recomend for cleaning, dremel and polishing wheel would remove more material than scotchbrite.
It's not about dimensions. The interior of a case sizing die has a polished surface finish and Scotchbrite makes that go bye bye.

Does anyone know what they polish them to? 16 microns? 8?

Solvents and a rag get my sizing dies clean just fine.

That pump spray lube I linked to is isopropyl alcohol with lanolin dissolved in it. You spray it on the cases and roll them around to coat them. The alcohol evaporates off leaving a thin film of lanolin on the cases.

I've sized over 100K cases using that lube (either the Frankford arsenal or Dillon - some guys here make it themselves) and I've never stuck a case or had a shoulder dent with it.

Over on Brian Enos' forum the traditional wisdom is Dillon spray for rifle, Hornady one shot for pistol. Or make the Dillon yourself with the formula provided by EC.

Over on Brian Enos' forum the traditional wisdom is Dillon spray for rifle, Hornady one shot for pistol. Or make the Dillon yourself with the formula provided by EC.

I use the Dillon stuff for most of my rifle brass, never had any problem with it. For very small batches I use the lyman lube on a pad.

Code:
It's not about dimensions. The interior of a case sizing die has a polished surface finish and Scotchbrite makes that go bye bye.

Does anyone know what they polish them to? 16 microns? 8?

Solvents and a rag get my sizing dies clean just fine.

What he said!

Yeah, the one shot spray works great for me on 9mm. You don't even need to lube pistol cases, but I find it makes things run a lot smoother on a tapered case like 9mm.

I would contact lee directly. Ttheir warrenty is strange. 2 years and lifetime. So far customer service has been 100% for me.
They replaced a 38/357 die set of mine. Best I can describe it is the dies started to scale or flake....they where well over 2 years old. They have sent replacement parts for my pro 1000 free also....

While we're on the subject, I have a Lee loadmaster in 9mm. What dies and other items do I need to reload 223?
You'll need a #4 shell plate, a turret, and a set of dies. You will also need something to remove the primer pocket crimp from many brands of brass and a trimmer to trim your cases.

Last edited:
My Lee .223 sizing die is beat, not sure why? I clean and tumble brass before decapping and sizing and always use dry lube but lately my brass is getting stuck in the die to the point where I need to use a hammer and punch to remove it. I have sized about 6K rounds and now its time for new die. Is this 'normal' for the dies to wear out after 6K rounds?

Looking for new sizing die only. Want to get something that will last. Found these but why are their 2 dies? What should I get that will last?

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Ma...nlabel=index&productId=2119&route=C09J042N142

Thanks, Chris

How old is the die? Lee has a warranty on their product. Lee also refurbishes their dies. A Lee sizing die ought to be good for 100,000 rounds easily and probably triple that. I have maybe 25,000 .223 cases through mine and it is barely broken in. There should be a warning label on Hornady lubes stating that this lube does not actually lube.

I haven't had a single stuck .223 case since switching to lanolin about 14k cases ago.

When I was using one shot they were very common. That lube sucks for rifle cases.

Need new .223 sizing die help.

Crazy question. Can you post a pic of your can of lube?
Hornady makes a lot of different items under the one shot name.

Could you possible have the lube used for reloading machine or firearms and not the actual case lube?

I use Hornady spray lube for pistol resizing, for rifle I use Imperial Sizing Die wax. Redding and RCBS small base dies work the best for me for 223's in my AR.

223 is one of the few calibers highly prone to stick in a resizing die.

It's almost guaranteed to be a lube malfunction.

As to wearing out reloading dies, I'll tell you this. I have yet to wear out a sizing die, and neither has my father.

And, I reloaded (and do now) professionally. As in Type 06 FFL professionally.

Used to resize about 6000 6.5 Carcano a year, many years in a row, never wore out the CH die. Same with 7.35 Terni and an RCBS die. And, that's just 2 calibers.

This stuff worked great! Thanks. Now I have a broken decap pin with small piece stuck RCBS, how do I get the piece out? My fault, going to fast on my Lee Pro and shell was not straight, grabbed the pin and bent it, tried to straighten it but it broke, now a small piece is stuck inside?

This stuff worked great! Thanks. Now I have a broken decap pin with small piece stuck RCBS, how do I get the piece out? My fault, going to fast on my Lee Pro and shell was not straight, grabbed the pin and bent it, tried to straighten it but it broke, now a small piece is stuck inside?

Use a center punch to tap it out of the nut. Straighten it with pliers as best you can first.

The expander ball unscrews from the mandrel. Take it off and tap out the remnant of the pin (if it doesn't fall out on its own).

If the mandrel itself is bent, either do an incredible job of straightening it or replace it with a new one. If you leave it bent, the last thing you drag through the neck will be a crooked P.O.S.

Back
Top Bottom