• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need NES's help

Infinite Jester

Navy Veteran
So the situation is this; We have friends coming up on Sunday (tomorrow, super short notice). They are a couple in their late 20's from Boston. My wife used to work with the woman. Neither one has shot a gun before, and both have expressed interest in firing mine. Here's where the problem comes in. When we left Massachusetts, we left our membership at the range in Georgetown. We haven't had any time to research places to shoot up here in NH. I'm really not interested in the Firing Line. Does anyone have the ability to host us somewhere? Any chance to get new shooters into the sport is always a worthwhile cause. Oh, and I'm willing to compensate someone for their efforts. I have plenty of 5.56.

Wish I could help, but I'm in Mass and my club is a bunch of Fudds.
Good luck and good shooting.
~Matt

So the situation is this; We have friends coming up on Sunday (tomorrow, super short notice). They are a couple in their late 20's from Boston. My wife used to work with the woman. Neither one has shot a gun before, and both have expressed interest in firing mine. Here's where the problem comes in. When we left Massachusetts, we left our membership at the range in Georgetown. We haven't had any time to research places to shoot up here in NH. I'm really not interested in the Firing Line. Does anyone have the ability to host us somewhere? Any chance to get new shooters into the sport is always a worthwhile cause. Oh, and I'm willing to compensate someone for their efforts. I have plenty of 5.56.

Maybe you shouldn't have told them your going to the range just yet...[wink]

What's wring with MFL? that's one of the ranges I like to go to, I think it's a great place [thinking]

On the weekends from November-end of March, whenever it's below 60 degrees MFL is mobbed, and if you don't have one of the colored cards in your wallet (like I do) to enable a reservation you're not getting a lane without a lot of waiting, you might get one, possibly maybe, if you're camped out there when the door gets unlocked, or you show up in the early evening. Also, if you have several people the lane fees add up pretty fast and it gets expensive- with 4 people who are all non-members you're looking at like $64/hr and the more people you pad on a lane the less shooting you all do because you can only run one shooter in the lane at a time. A lane doesn't really scale past like 3 people because then you have people just sitting around racking up time on the meter and not shooting. Course if you have a crap ton of magazines preloaded and 2 staplers loaded you can seriously cut down on the time wasted between shooters as then all you really have to do is add/remove targets periodically and you can rotate people in and out faster.

Two of these are also people who have never fired a gun before. Training new shooters on an indoor range completely SUCKS. Nobody can hear anything and with all the other shooting going on its a distraction you don't need when you're dealing with newbs. You're also running up against time constraints/expense. For newbs you really need a few hours, there's no getting around it.

-Mike

On the weekends from November-end of March, whenever it's below 60 degrees MFL is mobbed, and if you don't have one of the colored cards in your wallet (like I do) to enable a reservation you're not getting a lane without a lot of waiting, you might get one, possibly maybe, if you're camped out there when the door gets unlocked, or you show up in the early evening. Also, if you have several people the lane fees add up pretty fast and it gets expensive- with 4 people who are all non-members you're looking at like $64/hr and the more people you pad on a lane the less shooting you all do because you can only run one shooter in the lane at a time. A lane doesn't really scale past like 3 people because then you have people just sitting around racking up time on the meter and not shooting. Course if you have a crap ton of magazines preloaded and 2 staplers loaded you can seriously cut down on the time wasted between shooters as then all you really have to do is add/remove targets periodically and you can rotate people in and out faster.

Two of these are also people who have never fired a gun before. Training new shooters on an indoor range completely SUCKS. Nobody can hear anything and with all the other shooting going on its a distraction you don't need when you're dealing with newbs. You're also running up against time constraints/expense. For newbs you really need a few hours, there's no getting around it.

-Mike

Thanks for typing all that out and saving me the trouble.[smile] I was contacted by Soloman, so we'll probably head out his way.

Soloman02 is good people. Went to a Black Sabbath concert with him and his brother.
He's running for rep. up there by the way. [wink]

~Matt

Soloman02 is good people. Went to a Black Sabbath concert with him and his brother. He's running for rep. up there by the way. [wink] ~Matt

He certainly is. Big big thanks goes out to him. I want to thank him for showing up with some fun toys to play with. My 3 non shooter friends were able to shoot multiple handguns thanks to him. They couldn't have been happier, and wanted me to let him know how much they appreciated his patience with them. Between the two of us, we were able to run them through the experience of shooting handguns, 5.56, and 12 gauge. A fun day was had by all.

My pleasure. Always good to get non gun owners to fire off a few rounds in a controlled and safe environment.

Back
Top Bottom