• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need Luger help

stoneypete

NES Member
I just traded into this Luger. I've always wanted one and the price was right. All I was looking for was a shooter and I got one.[smile]
View attachment 16551View attachment 16555

My question is about this pin. I did not notice it till long after when I got home. It looks like someone put a roll pin in that serves no purpose I can comprehend. I've looked all over the web and cannot find one picture with one like this. However I don't want to pull it out and learn that it serves a real function. What is it?
View attachment 16554View attachment 16553View attachment 16549

Holster that came with it. I don't think I'll be keeping the holster. Anyone have a ball park value?
View attachment 16552View attachment 16558View attachment 16550View attachment 16556

Can't wait to get this to the range.

Last edited:
I have never seen that on a Luger before. I do not know what function that would have. Also for your information, your Luger is not just a "shooter" These are collectable as these are VOPO Lugers used by the East Germans post war. It should have a marking on it that looks like a sun on the receiver. Take a few more pictures of the markings. Someone may have just put VOPO grips on it. You can tell by the circle in the checkering.

Pete,

You might try calling Paul Dias, collector/FFL/auctioneer. He told me to always call before dropping by as he's a one-man show and not always at his shop.

30 East Washington St, Rte 58
Hanson, MA 02341-1126
(781) 447-9057

Feel free to tell him that I referred you. Maybe he knows something about this. It does look strange (pin and slit).

Does the pin go straight through into the trigger bar area? Ive seen one DMW with this mod about 10 years ago that my friend got, and came to the conclusion was result of a lazy gunsmith or owner. if its the same it sticks down a hair under that lip, with intent to keep the pistol from going full auto due to a week trigger bar/spring. We fired the gun with the pin in, worked ok, pulled it out, full mag dump in a micro second. he returned it to where he got it, havent seen any since. The cut has me scratching my head as well.

Does the pin go straight through into the trigger bar area? Ive seen one DMW with this mod about 10 years ago that my friend got, and came to the conclusion was result of a lazy gunsmith or owner. if its the same it sticks down a hair under that lip, with intent to keep the pistol from going full auto due to a week trigger bar/spring. We fired the gun with the pin in, worked ok, pulled it out, full mag dump in a micro second. he returned it to where he got it, havent seen any since. The cut has me scratching my head as well.

If a gunsmith did that to one of my lugers I would pistol whip him with it. :LOL: Springs are not that hard to come by and they are not hard to change.

Maninblue1861 is probably right. The only other thing I could think of is the arm that raises when the safety is on.... Some kind of stop to keep the safety from over traveling???

Maninblue1861 is probably right. The only other thing I could think of is the arm that raises when the safety is on.... Some kind of stop to keep the safety from over traveling???

The safety has a bend in it underneath the receiver that actually stops itself when raised. The bend hits the top of the reciever inside so I dont believe that the pin was for that.

I removed the pin and shot the pistol yesterday. Ran fine for several mags and then started jaming. I had wiped off some oil removing the pin and forgot to bring some so I am confient that is why it jamed. All in all I'm OK with the purchase. Wish I'd done a bit more research before hand.

If a gunsmith did that to one of my lugers I would pistol whip him with it. :LOL:.

Ageed LOL! Seeing theres 2 in the area now that im aware of, makes me think it was a gunsmith, rather than a rougue owner, as drilling a hill there has to be a pain in the a$$, let alone doing it on 2. if it doesnt go full auto then your lucky. imagine the surprise i got when his did on me... lost part of the webbing in hand. if its jamming sounds like a mag issue as stated. get a few mecgear repro mags, and should solve the issue.

Look at picture # 5 of the group. Is that cutaway in the top of the sideplate with the hole showing usual? I havent handled a Luger in years, but I dont remember anything like that, and in all the pictures I've searched I havent see it any of them. Maybe something was mounted to the gun?

My question is about this pin. I did not notice it till long after when I got home. It looks like someone put a roll pin in that serves no purpose I can comprehend. I've looked all over the web and cannot find one picture with one like this. However I don't want to pull it out and learn that it serves a real function. What is it?
View attachment 16554View attachment 16553View attachment 16549

Your Luger was fitted with a sear safety found on Lugers issued to Police units/depts during the Nazi era, this included new production Nazi era Lugers as well as used Prussian and Wiemar era Lugers that were re-issued to Police units. The sear safety is missing from your gun, the pin that's left was used to hold it in place. If you do a Google images search for "Luger sear safety" you'll see what they look like properly installed.

Your Luger was fitted with a sear safety found on Lugers issued to Police units/depts during the Nazi era, this included new production Nazi era Lugers as well as used Prussian and Wiemar era Lugers that were re-issued to Police units. The sear safety is missing from your gun, the pin that's left was used to hold it in place. If you do a Google images search for "Luger sear safety" you'll see what they look like properly installed.

Nice catch Big Joe. I had totally forgotten about the Police sear safeties!!!

Thank you my friend. You just made my day. I was concerned that Bubba had gotten to this Luger. Over on gunboards, I've got a line on a guy that can replace the sear safety. Not sure if I'm going to do it, but one can never know.

She sure looks like a VoPo rework. As she is a S/42 the blueing is too dull and rough.
No idea about that pin either, as well as the cut on the l/h side of the frame.

Click HERE I'm not sure yet, but I think the cut on the left of the frame "may" have something to do with the Magazine Safety. You will see it on the page I linked above.
A magazine safety would have been installed after a Prussian police directive of August 30th 1933.
In 1937, the magazine safeties were directed to be removed. Some / most were actually physically removed and the hole where the clip of the safety held onto the frame was welded in and reblued. A few you see are like this, almost completely there, with the last bit clipped off. See the next two pictures, one showing the clip, the next the outline of the clipped area.

Turns out I was correct. The cut in the frame is from the failed magazine safety.

In the text above we discussed some of the rumors and mysteries surrounding this model of Luger. In the picture on the left, the first arrow on the left in the picture points to the top of the chamber and the second arrow points to the top of the front toggle link. Notice here that in both places there are no manufacturers marks as seen on other Lugers such as the 1939 Mauser 42 code.

In the photograph on the right, we can see the added Schiwy(Sear) and magazine safety. These parts were installed at a Prussian police arsenal and not at either the Mauser or the DWM factory. This addition or rather failed improvement was added to the Luger some time after August 30, 1933 by order of the Prussian police. The sear and magazine safety was a police and not a military requirement. The magazine safety was not successful and most were rendered inoperative some time after 1937.

The point of arrow number one is resting on the sear safety(Schiwy). Arrow number two is pointing to a 1mm by 6mm slot that has been cut into the left side of the frame. This slot is used to help anchor the magazine safety in place. Arrow number three is pointing to the magazine safety. The magazine safety comes from behind the left grip panel and works it way around and under the trigger. On a large number of these Lugers, this magazine safety has either been removed entirely or a pat of it has been removed so that it will no longer function. The tip of the third arrow is pointing to where the magazine safety has been cut on this Luger. The part that extends under the trigger is no longer in place.

Pictures can be found Here about half way down the page.

Last edited:
Nice Big Joe. Didn't think too many folks knew about the police issue sear safeties. I was all happy to be able to help my buddy Pete out and let him know his Luger is NOT BUBBA'D!!!!. Ya beat me to it. [grin]

Nice catch Big Joe. I had totally forgotten about the Police sear safeties!!!

Facepalm ! Joe's right on the spot.
Gotta buy me a Luger w/ the "Schiwy" safety to remind me of this.

Thank you my friend. You just made my day. I was concerned that Bubba had gotten to this Luger. Over on gunboards, I've got a line on a guy that can replace the sear safety. Not sure if I'm going to do it, but one can never know.

Good one BigJoe. None of my Lugers have the sear safety, (although one should). I've never seen one installed.

Nice Big Joe. Didn't think too many folks knew about the police issue sear safeties. I was all happy to be able to help my buddy Pete out and let him know his Luger is NOT BUBBA'D!!!!. Ya beat me to it. [grin]

[thumbsup] [smile] .

Back
Top Bottom