• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need law stating pre-ban mags legal in Ma.

turbo38gn

NES Member
I was trying to purchase some CZ-58 pre ban mags online, everything went fine, I asked if they were pre-ban, response was yes so I said I'll take therm. When it came time to ship I get a call saying, "no can do" cause 30rd mags are illegal in Ma.... Ok, I go over the pre ban deal as I know it, she said show me where it says it's legal.... can anyone show me the legal statement....

Thanks for any help..

Part of the problem here is a misunderstanding for how the law works. The law tells you what you cannot do NOT what you can do. In this case, large capacity feeding devices manufactured after September 13 1994 are banned. Ipso facto, all large cap mags mfg'd before that date are legal.

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/awfacts.html

I was trying to purchase some CZ-58 pre ban mags online, everything went fine, I asked if they were pre-ban, response was yes so I said I'll take therm. When it came time to ship I get a call saying, "no can do" cause 30rd mags are illegal in Ma.... Ok, I go over the pre ban deal as I know it, she said show me where it says it's legal.... can anyone show me the legal statement....

Thanks for any help..

^ exactly. the law doesn't list everything that is legal - OP, you were dealing with a moron.

Same thing here. I found a source of pre-ban magazines for a pistol I own but the company in question won't sell or ship any magazines into Massachusetts. It is just generally assumed that anything firearms-related must be illegal in Massachusetts. [thinking]

The vendor you are dealing with is a moron for the reason's otehrs have cited. Laws restrict rights. They don't grant them.

With that said, you should do what I've done. Get yourself a UPS store or PO Box in NH or VT and have things shipped there. Its perfectly legal, as long as whatever you buy is legal for you to bring back into MA.

The vendor you are dealing with is a moron for the reason's otehrs have cited. Laws restrict rights. They don't grant them.

With that said, you should do what I've done. Get yourself a UPS store or PO Box in NH or VT and have things shipped there. Its perfectly legal, as long as whatever you buy is legal for you to bring back into MA.

Do you also register a CC to that out-of-state address? I've tried ot buy stuff before and have it shipped out of state but they denied the sale because of the CC address (MA).

Do you also register a CC to that out-of-state address? I've tried ot buy stuff before and have it shipped out of state but they denied the sale because of the CC address (MA).

There is no "registering" . You just log into your account and change the billing address on the CC to the PO box.

Then set up paperless billing and your statements come to your email box.

All done.

Here is the response I received back this morning....

Mr. Cotton,

I have read the attachments you sent us and to my understanding you may keep / possess hi cap magazines If YOU had them in YOUR possession BEFORE 1994. It does not say I can ship hi cap mags to a MA individual.

Therefore we will not be able to sell you the VZ58 mags.

Sorry for the confusion but the last thing I need is problems with some liberal Ma state attorney. I know….. It is extremely frustrating for me to!!

Best,
Mike
Michael A. Davis
Clearview Investments Inc.
102 Fieldview Dr.
Versailles, Ky 40383
800-225-5790 Office

859-873-9877 Office

859-873-6229 Fax

Here is the response I received back this morning....

Mr. Cotton,

I have read the attachments you sent us and to my understanding you may keep / possess hi cap magazines If YOU had them in YOUR possession BEFORE 1994. It does not say I can ship hi cap mags to a MA individual.

Therefore we will not be able to sell you the VZ58 mags.

Sorry for the confusion but the last thing I need is problems with some liberal Ma state attorney. I know….. It is extremely frustrating for me to!!

Best,
Mike
Michael A. Davis
Clearview Investments Inc.
102 Fieldview Dr.
Versailles, Ky 40383
800-225-5790 Office

859-873-9877 Office

859-873-6229 Fax

Man that is so sad.

His house, his rules.

[rolleyes]

Yup.

Ship them to either a po box or a friend out of state.

Remember, in free America, cigarettes are more regulated than 30 round mags.

If he ships them to a friend of yours, your friend can just ship them to your house.

One other thing. With online account management, even if you don't have a PO box, you can change the biling address of your CC for just a few days, then switch it back.

His house, his rules.

[rolleyes]

hehehe... yep... it stinks, but the bottom line.. u nailed it. Just speaking with a friend... he made the same statement. But I have to add, I visited his website, sell lots of AK kits.. here is a list of the laws in Ma according to his website...

Massachusetts Handguns must be on the Massachusetts Approved Weapons Roster
No Semi-Auto Shotguns
No Semi-Auto Rifles
Ammo requires FFL
No Mags over 10 rounds
Mags over 10 rounds will be removed from firearms and/or parts kits

Don't waste time arguing with vendors. Either trick/manipulate/wallhack them (eg, free america drop point) or move onto the next one. Getting them to change their mind is futile.

Don't waste time arguing with vendors. Either trick/manipulate/wallhack them (eg, free america drop point) or move onto the next one. Getting them to change their mind is futile.

Right on the money Mike... I let go, his loss... part of me wants to throw a few digs his way.. but F-it.. I'll poke around and find some elsewhere..

Right on the money Mike... I let go, his loss... part of me wants to throw a few digs his way.. but F-it.. I'll poke around and find some elsewhere..

I had one vendor (I forget the name) who refused to send me 8 round 1911 magazines. I was like "Are you ****ing kidding me? These aren't even controlled items IN MA!!"

-Mike

I had one vendor (I forget the name) who refused to send me 8 round 1911 magazines. I was like "Are you ****ing kidding me? These aren't even controlled items IN MA!!"

I know it's just an old adage but some folks outside of Massachusetts take it very seriously. [thinking]

Last edited by a moderator:
Aim won't ship anything semi-auto to MA. Even if it doesnt have a detachable magazine.
Like a SKS or Garand.

They won't even ship ammo to a FFL.

Just tried Ohio Ordnance for the mags, called them up, all they would say is they can't send them to Ma...
It really is a royal pain in the ass. But again, I'll say this: The only thing that ticks me off more than an out-of-state entity not understanding MA firearms law (or even wishing to deal with it) is an in-state entity that doesn't understand it or wish to deal with it either. [angry] I'm talking about all those dealers who will not do a transfer in from out-of-state of anything no matter how legal and conforming the transaction would be... just because MASSACHUSETTS. [angry]

Try searching on Gunbroker too ... Ive found a few sellers on there who are ok with shipping these kinds of things to MA with the proper documentation.

Maybe 1 out of every 20 I contacted tho lol ...

Aim won't ship anything semi-auto to MA. Even if it doesnt have a detachable magazine.
Like a SKS or Garand.

They won't even ship ammo to a FFL.

That's actually not true: AIM ships police trade-in Glocks to MA dealers all the time.

Back
Top Bottom