Need Kroil? Excellent deal...

I read a thread recently where machinist workshop tested all of the penetrating oils out there.

They found a mix of 50/50 ATF and Acetone to work the best of all the expensive products. It even best out Kroil.

Good deal, but it's the aerosol. I find the liquid in the can much easier to apply exactly where it is needed using a 10cc syringe. Washing machine hose was virtually welded to the spigot and the delivery team could not get it off. I Kroiled it with the syringe right at the threads, let them move the old out and new in, and suggested they try again. Came off like magic.

But, it didn't do jack shit for a snowblower wheel that was rust welded on the shaft.

Last edited:
I read a thread recently where machinist workshop tested all of the penetrating oils out there.

They found a mix of 50/50 ATF and Acetone to work the best of all the expensive products. It even best out Kroil.

From a couple videos i've watched Liquid Wrench and the ATF/Acetone mix are usually tops, with Kroil in the middle or near the bottom of the pack.

How do you like it compared to PB Blaster?

Gunsmiths like Kroil because it is safe and effective.

PB blaster is my go-to for automotive, where there is no risk of damaging an existing finish or melting an unknown plastic.

Are other things AS safe and AS effective and possibly CHEAPER than Kroil?

I dunno--maybe. 2 cans for $20 shipped seems like a reasonable enough deal.

Good deal, but it's the aerosol. I find the liquid in the can much easier to apply exactly where it is needed using a 10cc syringe. Washing machine hose was virtually welded to the spigot and the delivery team could not get it off. I Kroiled it with the syringe right at the threads, let them move the old out and new in, and suggested they try again. Came off like magic.

But, it didn't do jack shit for a snowblower wheel that was rust welded on the shaft.

Agreed. I added an 8oz can ($10) to the order.

Good knowledge being shared in this thread.

A+

I have to replace the wheel bearings on a Subaru Outback, and I will definitely give some of the homebrews a try.

I just used it yesterday and today on some 20 year old bolts into aluminum. my go to product for 20 years
if I can spray the bolt a few times, a day or too ahead of time it helps.
i'll spray any interface or joint.
it's part of my tool kit

Op thanks for the heads up, ordered, was low on stock,
I forgot to put CC expiration date on order, I get a call from Kano Labs, give them missing info and fixed in seconds.
I've been using this for more than 20 years.
This is probably can 7 and 8. used sparingly because $10/can with deal. used only to loosen nuts and bolts.
I always jumped on the deal if I need it.
I have used on surplus firearms, Once I soaked a broken off/stripped setscrew in a old black power rifle cap lock cleaning hole that was also rusted up that someone sheered off many years earlier tring to clean it.
I though it need to be drilled, but I soaked it for two weeks and it came right out like new. I probably sprayed twice a day and put the project in the corner to let sit till next day
give it time to work, spray once or twice a day for the long haul ones.
typically, If you can and let set overnight and keep it wet, ie spray 2-3 times over course of first day.
some projects when I take a look a few days ahead to see what i need to do and asses difficulty I spray the things that need it then to get a good start.

Back
Top Bottom