Need input on a Firearms purchase

paracarry

NES Member
I have owned a lot of 1911's over the past 40 years, that said I am in the market for a full size 1911 in 9mm, have pretty much narrowed it down to 2, The Springfield Armory R.O. Elite Target, or the Kimber Target II, they both have 5" barrels fiber optic front sights (aging eyes) and a fully adjustable rear sight. These are the 3 things I want in this Range/target gun. Don't tell me to buy a .45 acp a little arthritis has made me go to the 9mm. Any input from anyone who owns or has shot one is appreciated. If anyone knows of any other make or model that meets my criteria that I can get in this state I'm up for suggestions.

I have several 1911s but none in 9mm. I think it will be a mild shooter. Just a word about fiber optic sights. I too have old eyes and at first thought fiber optic sights were the cat's ass but not anymore. The first one flew out and I replaced it. Now the replacement rod is about to come out. I'm going back to regular steel sights.

FWIW, I have a front fiber optic sight on some Glocks and they have held up just fine.

Wait tI’ll @drgrant sees this. He has very colorful words regarding kimber quality over the years.

The last Kimberly I had was about 25 years ago and it was a very nice 1911... but I think I’d lean towards the RO Elite right now.

What about a Dan Wesson PM 9

I picked up the same SA last year for steel challenge, it is definitely one of the most accurate in my collection. On the negative side took a bit of work to make it run which seems normal for these in 9mm, replacing and adjusting the extractor made it work along with running Wilson mags. Its also got lots of sharp edges on it no where near the finishing detail of say a Sig 1911.

I should have mentioned that I have had a few 1911's in 9mm over the years, currently have a Sig ultra compact, and a SA EMP4 Champion, I have heard that there have been issues with the Kimber. I am leaning more toward the Springfield Armory model.

I have a SA RO 9mm target sights, and added the Dawson’s FO front. Thing is a tack driver and I love it. Only issue I had once was the adjustable sight wiggled loose, but SA solved it fast.

Personally between those two I like the SA better, but that's just an opinion and worth what you just paid for it. I have heard too many tales of Kimbers needing to back for rework.

Thanks for all the input, once I heal up from my surgery and can drive, (in about 3 weeks) I will venture out and get one. I had figured on the Springfield Armory coming out on top. Thanks again.

@paracarry i've been thinking about a 9mm 1911 for years and never got around to going any further than just that damn thinking about it stage. do keep us informed along the way after you get it...ya can't go wrong with springfield armory.

Kimber 👎 All hype and over priced at this point. 100 years ago they made good guns (ok, maybe 20)
SA, maybe.
Colt gold cup trophy. IMO best production gun at its price point and it should meet your criteria

I have a Para P-18 that I like. I know some people don't like Para but it's served me well. I also have a S&W Pro Series 9MM that is a great gun. I've heard mixed reviews on the Colt and Springfield. Contact me if you want to try mine out.

Buy them all and just sell the ones you don't like on the Classifieds with a steep NES/Karma discount!

I'm looking at a SA RO Operator in .45 cal. with fixed night sights. Randy what's your opinion? I don't want a SS finish.

Wait tI’ll @drgrant sees this. He has very colorful words regarding kimber quality over the years.

The last Kimberly I had was about 25 years ago and it was a very nice 1911... but I think I’d lean towards the RO Elite right now.

What about a Dan Wesson PM 9
Krapber is a "press your luck" gun. That's being polite. Some of the old ones hold up pretty well though. A lot of people get functional guns but some are not fitted properly etc. Ugh. The 2004 anniv edition i had was a dumpster fire. Lou @ Bec basically saved that gun. Let's put it this way though, even the frame was f***ed on that gun, wilson 47D's wouldn't drop free without buffing the shit out of the magazines.... never had a 1911 with a magwell that far out of spec.

Dan Wesson would be my obvious choice here. Even the cheapo guns they make are better than Krapber and many others.

In my stable of 1911's I have two that are 9mm's. A Colt competition that I customized to my liking, and a frankengun that I bought from a fellow NES'er years back. I shoot steel matches fairly often and years back I decided to switch from .45 to 9mm for anything steel-related. Mainly for the cost, but also my recipe for 115gr 9mm does just fine knocking stuff over at Wall of Steel, and runs great in any of my other 9mm guns too. (Glocks, Lugers, Sig P938 etc...)
The Colt is my go-to gun for steel matches and the franken is my backup in case something breaks on the Colt mid-match. They will all break something eventually, you put enough rounds through them. ;)

You can't go wrong with the SA though. And honestly they tend to work right out of the box without needing TLC, compared to Colt's offerings.

Update, I put money down on A Colt competition in .38 Super, picking it up Monday. Kind of an impulse buy but a caliber that I always wanted to try. I guess I can cross that off my bucket list.

I have several 1911s but none in 9mm. I think it will be a mild shooter. Just a word about fiber optic sights. I too have old eyes and at first thought fiber optic sights were the cat's ass but not anymore. The first one flew out and I replaced it. Now the replacement rod is about to come out. I'm going back to regular steel sights.

My eyes were never great, and as I've gotten older... meh.

If fiber isn't your bag, a gold bead is about the same as a decent fiberoptic, and it looks really fine on a 1911.

unnamed.jpg

Back
Top Bottom