Need info on RI/MA firearm laws

After taking a break from shooting for college, living in FL and moving back to RI,i want to get back into it again. I understand RI's gun laws are comewhat relaxed compaired to CT and MA. I just got my blue card, so i can purchase a handgun, but i dont have a need for a LTC. If i were to own a rifle, do i need to registar it or anything in RI if im a RI residant? Can i transport it to MA to shoot it there? Im thinking of joinging the Somerset Sportsnamn Club and I live in Bristol RI. What if i want to stay with my girlfriend who lives right down the road from the cun club, would i need a non residant permit or something?

No registration is required for rifles possessed in RI. You can bring rifles to MA as a non-resident without a MA permit to shoot at the range, but certain restrictions apply (no large capacity weapons, for instance). Storing it at your girlfriend's house while you're there overnight is theoretically allowed under S 129C (p), but questionable. If you are going to be regularly bringing any kind of firearm into MA for non-hunting purposes, I'd suggest getting a non-resident LTC to avoid inconvenience, at least, if you are questioned by a LEO. Also be aware that you cannot bring any post-ban assault weapons or post-ban large capacity magazines into MA regardless of whether you have a non-res LTC or not.

What would be defined as an Assault weapon? Would a Stag Arms Model 6 be an assault weapon? I dont see how it would considering it is heavy as hell, has a 24" barrel and 30 round mags make it hard to shoot prone

You're making the mistake of trying to come up with a rational definition of an assault weapon. The federal government, and now our wonderful state of MA, didn't bother being rational. [thinking]

If you do a search here, you can find lots of information on the definition of an assault weapon. But the short answer is that an assault weapon is a semi-auto rifle with a detachable mag and that has certain 'evil features'. A Stag Arms Model 6 would not be considered an assault weapon because it only has one evil feature (the pistol grip) and it needs two to be considered an assault weapon. The other evil features being a collapsible or folding stock, a bayonet lug, a flash suppressor or threaded barrel that can accept a flash suppressor, and the ability to launch grenades.

However, the 30 round mags are probably illegal to bring into MA, unless they were manufactured before the '94 ban date. You either need older, pre-ban mags (and a non-res LTC A to possess them) or mags that can only hold 10 rounds or less.

my mags are 20 round mags, I was thinking about east warren, however, somerset has a 300 yard range

fyi... If you are willing to join a MA club, check out Woodcock Rifle Range(100 Woodcock St.) in N. Dartmouth. It is actually owned by the City of New Bedford and operated by volunteers. Sixty dollars a year for membership if you don't live in New Bedford. If i remember correctly, they have at least an outdoor pistol,50,100,200 & 500 yard range.You become a member the same day you fill out the application and pay.

What about 10 and 5 round mags?

What about doing the minimal actual research necessary to learn what "pre-ban" and "large capacity" mean, instead of expecting to be spoon-fed at every step of the way? [rolleyes]

The SEARCH function is on this, and every other firearms forum I am familiar with. Try it.

Ever heard of GOOGLE? Use it.

ALL of the information you need is available to you with just a few key clicks. Perhaps if you bestirred yourself the minute amount necessary to familiarize yourself with even the basics, you'd understand the answers already provided.

Aahhh yes, the Scriv. must have just gotten off the potty and learned a new word from the thesaurus.
However, I agree with him. You can, and should research all your questions in full utilizing the resources that are abundant on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom