• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need ID help: coyote, coydog, coywolf ?

Caught this female basking in my back field @ 12.30 pm, to her right and out of sight was a very big male. Last night about 5.30pm I was tossing a ball in the same area my German Shepard was so focused on his ball he missed the big male trotting out to challenge him. I suspect a den is nearby and suspect there will be blood. Can't really shoot him nor do I want to but I'm seeing this as a problem. Range here is about 350'. Measured her using background brush as a marker ....32" height to tip of ears
147283F7-29B8-42F6-943D-C484C54BAC6B.jpeg

Looks well fed. We had one that size come up on our patio earlier this year

" Can't really shoot him nor do I want to but I'm seeing this as a problem."

It's a problem I would easily solve by shooting. If there is a den and they have pups they will be more aggressive. Your GS might be in some trouble.

Caught this female basking in my back field @ 12.30 pm, to her right and out of sight was a very big male. Last night about 5.30pm I was tossing a ball in the same area my German Shepard was so focused on his ball he missed the big male trotting out to challenge him. I suspect a den is nearby and suspect there will be blood. Can't really shoot him nor do I want to but I'm seeing this as a problem. Range here is about 350'. Measured her using background brush as a marker ....32" height to tip of ears
View attachment 340739
Yote, all day long......ahhhh.....why is he still standing......

Yep, coyote. Good size, but that's common in NE. Mix of yote, wolf, and dog DNA. A good 'tell' for coyotes is that they go about their business with their tail curved down, domestic dogs typically curved up. Watch your GSD.

How big is your GSD now? Like that pup pic? I'd be super careful if yes. If full size and you are with your dog, the coyotes will stay away unless you / your dog threaten an active den and they still might just hide. Anyone with an unattended cat or small dog nearby is just asking to feed the coyotes.

Honestly, if the yotes are 350 yards away that's still live and let live distance. Less than 100 yards a concern and a den 50 yards away takes some vigilance. Don't take your dog but go poking around where you see them as if you are hunting. Go armed of course. Unless they indeed have a den they won't like the pressure and tend to move elsewhere.

Even though the coyotes here are much bigger, they run from our Rott and GSD even if they outnumber the dogs. I just leave them alone. In TN, we did have problems with them and some of the small neighborhood pets disappeared and some medium size dogs were chewed up. We took care of the problem with a puppy in distress predator call and a lead injection.

It's a coyote. All those other silly names are just.....silly names.
But if it falls of a cliff and holds up a sign that says Yikes! It's a western coyote.

Perhaps, but there's an element of truth in the silly names.

In 2014, a DNA study of northeastern coyotes showed them on average to be a hybrid of western coyote (62%), western wolf (14%), eastern wolf (13%), and domestic dog(11%) in their nuclear genome

I live behind a graveyard and I just witnessed two coyotes stock a dog walker behind my house. I was on my second floor deck yelling at the dog walker to the presence of the coyotes. The dog walker turned dog runner and headed over the hill away from me with the two coyotes following behind. Is this normal for coyotes to hunt in the daytime in a semi-urban area?
As the day heats up I am sure to see some more Corona walkers out and about walking the graveyard. Things will get interesting if any off-leash walkers show up.

Will even the Chinese eat coyote? Anything on how it tastes? When chit goes to hell I'm hunting anything I can BBQ fckabunch of licenses.

I've tried it. Prepared like steak tips, and washed down with a beer, it's palatable. It's probably not as bad if you're not the one doing the butchering. Skinning them, they smell like wet dog. And that kinda hangs in the back of my mind.

I live behind a graveyard and I just witnessed two coyotes stock a dog walker behind my house. I was on my second floor deck yelling at the dog walker to the presence of the coyotes. The dog walker turned dog runner and headed over the hill away from me with the two coyotes following behind. Is this normal for coyotes to hunt in the daytime in a semi-urban area?
As the day heats up I am sure to see some more Corona walkers out and about walking the graveyard. Things will get interesting if any off-leash walkers show up.
I've seen them in the daytime on many occasions.

How big was the dog? Snack size? Yeah, that's fairly bold in broad daylight.

Back
Top Bottom