• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need Help With Wood Stock Repair!

I have a pretty new Walnut stock to my shotgun that got dented. A friend walked up to me and his barrel bashed into my stock and left a ring indentation of the end of his barrel on a perfect stock. (I was so pissed but didn't go off on him )I tried the iron it with a wet cloth and use steam approach to pull it out but it only worked so much. The dent was deep. If you knows any other tricks or even ff a putty or something that will fill it and hold up it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Learn to accept what you cannot change.

If the dent is so deep that the raising of the wood as you described, it may permanent. If the muzzle that hit it was sharp, it may have cut wood fibers....

Filler will never be "good enough" on a nice piece of wood. If it's not where your tender flesh contacts, don't worry.

Or....if it really fries you bacon, talk to your friend, and see if he'll replace the damaged wood.

If you use the gun, it will get dings and ouchies......

Last edited:
I was on the skeet field when a fellow was shooting his top line shotgun worth about 7K. On station 8 another guy hit the target and a big piece of clay imbedded itself in that 7K shotgun stock. He did not get through one round without an irreparable damage. It cost him about a grand and a half for a replacement. Stuff happens.

How deep is the ding? What kind of finish is on it? Where is it on what stock?

Sanding it out if it will not come back with steam is the only way unless you match the wood and patch but that is just too costly in time and money.

rubbing alcohol will raise the wood its a trick they use in finish carpentry if something gets dented.

Back
Top Bottom