need help with starting a AR build

ok guy I need some serious help. ive been looking into building my own AR but need help choosing a kit. ive been on del-ton and saw this kit but wasn't sure if I could get it http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt103.htm Also I wanna get a lower at a gun show doesn't matter which one and don't know if I would be breaking the law with anything. I have also been on www.jtdistributing.net and was looking at there kits too.

I say forget about a kit and piece it together to ur liking... Ive built a few ars simply because i dont want to buy a basic rifle and start replacing parts... If u buy that kit and start replacing thinks like the handguard, stock, brake, etc, it will probably end up costing more... Unless ur doing a budget build $500 for everything but the blank lower seems like a good deal.

I say forget about a kit and piece it together to ur liking... Ive built a few ars simply because i dont want to buy a basic rifle and start replacing parts... If u buy that kit and start replacing thinks like the handguard, stock, brake, etc, it will probably end up costing more... Unless ur doing a budget build $500 for everything but the blank lower seems like a good deal.

ya I wanna do a budget build first due to this being my first one. I just wanted to make sure this fell within the law of MA and I wasn't breaking any laws.

When u buy a lower its the same process as buyin a gun... The lower will be transfered to u... Unless u buy an 80% lower

You'll have to pin the stock into a single position (making it fixed) and then get the muzzle device/brake pinned and welded for it to be MA compliant. Read up in the MA Laws section to make sure you are in compliance with the build. Also Nanny MA wants you to file the FA10 within 7 days of having the rifle able to fire a round. I've read some shops charge up to $75 to pin/weld the muzzle device (just for that service). So, if you can find an upper that's already MA compliant for less (total), get it. You'll still need to molest the stock though.

For a lower, look over what's posted about on the boards, and then pick one in a price range you can handle. If you want a sweet one, look at what PPF (Precision Point Firearms) is selling (their own branded lowers).

- - - Updated - - -

When u buy a lower its the same process as buyin a gun... The lower will be transfered to u... Unless u buy an 80% lower

80% lowers kick ass. Especially if you know how to finish them. Or know someone that does, and has the right tools to do that. [smile]

ya I wanna do a budget build first due to this being my first one. I just wanted to make sure this fell within the law of MA and I wasn't breaking any laws.
Forget a budget rifle. Build the best rifle you can on a tight budget! Been there done that. I built a few 500.00 budget guns buying the least expensive stuff I can find. Then as I learned and my desires and wants changed I built the guns I wanted with good parts for only a few hundred more.... http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/235080-my-last-ar-build
This entire set up ran me 850.00 including the 95$ I paid for the scope in 1986

Last edited:
Ok I will check the MGL out. I do know about the stock and bayo lug I just wasnt sure about the brake. I also looked into model 1 and m and a but heard mixed things about them.

I like to know what barrels they use. I have come to like Wilson match barrels used on my last 4 builds and not nuch more money for what I say is a improvement in accuracy vs the green mountain and the? ?????? What ever barrels came with the first 3 "kits" I got.

Most of these online uppers will not be ma compliant unless its put on a pre ban lower... Welcome to building an ar in ma... Dont get discouraged tho.

One thing you can do also is go with a non threaded barrel. That way you can change out hand guards or what have you with ease with out needing to hack axmuzzle device off.

I bought exactly that kit, and for exactly the same reasons as you.

I got a spikes lower on Gunbroker for 95$ and shipped to my FFL.

It is accurate as hell, no problems at all. I did knock off the FSB and put a low profile gas block, and then put on a scope (Bushnell 223 BDC)

Do yourself a HUGE favor and buy some roll punches AND roll punch starter punch, AR armorer wrench and poly blocks for your vice.

Some fair priced pre-ban mags can be found here too.

Good luck, and watch out for those tiny roll pins shooting across the room.

The wrench that Fourrunner has the ongoing group buy for kicks ass. I have one of his AR15/AR10 wrenches and know others with either the same one, or the dedicated AR15 wrench. The OP would need to go green in order to get one of those. IMO, that wrench will last 100+ years (unless you melt it).

Punches are more for removing pins. Not needed to assemble an AR. If the OP has a pair of vise grips, those can easily drive the pins home (with less hassle than trying to hammer them in). IF the OP does get roll pin punches, do NOT get the ones from Harbor Freight. Get a quality set that will stand up to use. Spend the little bit more and you won't regret it.

If you are interested in a wrench, please send an email to [email protected] and will get you hooked up. Have plenty of AR15 wrenches available.
I will secound this! Great wrench 4 builds since I got mine and its worked on everything. Even the lock ring on my rra handguard free float and the butt stock jamnuts. Up there in the top 3 of nes buys!

Back
Top Bottom