Need help with SKS FTE, stovepipes

I bought a YUGO SKS from a person here a few months ago and have not shot it until today. I know this person would not be the type to sell a lemon so don't worry about that. I only mention it so that you know this is not a "unissued in cosmo" rifle from a store. Rifle has some bluing wear but appears to have sharp rifiling. Rifle was disassembled, cleaned, some extra cosmo cleaeaned off (minimal) wiped down and reassembled. No corrosion in the gas tube evident or anywhere else although I am new to the SKS. No lube on the bolt. Left pretty dry everywhere. Ammo: Wolf lacquered steel that has worked fine in my AK.

Please note: gas shut off valve is in the correct "to the right" position and not in the middle. Gas piston area inside is dry and clean.

Total of 10 rounds. First round, spent casing trapped between bolt and breech sideways with mouth facing in, live round half way into chamber. Pulled bolt back slightly to remove spent casing and next round chambered as normal. Third round same thing. Fourth round, bolt stays in locked position. Forceful taps on bolt to try and bring it to the rear and eject spent casing mert with no success. Empty mag through bottom and try again, after several raps the bolt moves to the rear and round is ejected.

Reload. Another stovepipe round. Another failure to extract. It seems that it takes a good ten seconds of hitting the bolt with my palm to get the action to finally "unlock"

End of session with me swearing that I must have the only SKS that doesn't eat everything. Tried dropping a round in with the bolt back and the round slides in and falls out if the rifle is tipped, seems to be nothing holding it in or obstructing it.

Bolt snaps home easily. However if it is ridden it hangs up about 1/8 of an inch from battery and then "snaps" in place if touched slightly.

I am not at all aware of what would be considered "normal" wear on a SKS for the bolt and other parts. Hammer has wear marks in the bluing, bolt itself appears to be used as it has wear and is not "bright machined" like a new bolt would be. The rifle, bolt and other parts all appear to be numbers matching.

Any help would be appreciated.

Should the rails and the "cam" between the bolt and the charging handle? be lubed?

BTW: Rifle shot well at 50 yds condsiering the issues I was having and lack of concentration (and skill) I have.

Last edited:
It wouldn't hurt to put a little lube on the bolt carrier but I think the problem is either the gas tube seal or the valve itself.

Its comon in Yugo 59/66 SKS types and the SKS boards is filled with fixes such as a paper clip bent and used as a gasket on the gas tube where it meets the block, to new valve assemblies from a place called CNC Warrior.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=1

Here is some detailed info with pics on gas problems with Yugos: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=4191.0

Be sure your gas cut off is in correct location. Also there is a small hole for the gas to go through to the chamber. Make sure this is clean. A lot like remington 1100s. Its been some time since I looked at a yugo. I do believe they make a better gas valve or one that gets rid of the selector type for the launcher

When I first got my Yugo I had almost the same thing happen. It was driving me nuts because I knew the gas valve was clean and in the correct position.

However, it wound up being that the gas valve was pushed too far over to the right and past the point where it "clicks in" to place. This resticted the gas flow just enough to bind up the bolt when it cycled. A very slight nudge to the left and the button popped up into place and it ran flawlessly ever since.

Did the paper clip o ring trick and now just need to bring it to a range and test it. May be a while as I do not beling to any local clubs. :( FYI I went and disassembled and went over the whole rifle again. No issues I could find. Gas piston had carbon from the 10 shots only on half of it. Almost split down the middle.

Gas valve seems to be in the right position but it is what I would consider a "loose" fit in the fitting. I dont know how tight it should be but it does move easily.

Need to get out and join a few!

Thanks for all the info, hopefully there is a fix somewhere in there.

Not sure if the bolt is partially retracting and then reinserting the spent case back into the chamber as some of the forums and fixes talk about. Considering some stovepiped and some shot ok, I hope it is just a weak gas system.

Hopefully next weekend I can bum a place to shoot and check it out.

I have fired this gun, no problems with wolf fmj. (about 5 clips full. ) what are you shooting for ammo? hmm saw it was wolf FMJ.
If you want to come out sat afternoon, (western ma ) we can take it to where I shoot and work on it. other wise maybe some time next weekend. (I am the seller)
I have another one that I haven't fired that we can swap parts off of if needed.

Last edited:
No problem WW. I assume that after I cleaned it I left it dry and maybe that was it. I assume it is something basic so no biggie. Hoping to get somewhere this week as my weekend is pretty full with the family.

Thanks for the offer though.

Have some other ammo I am going to try also. EDIT: just noticed that the strippers may have been loaded with Brown Bear ammo as the can has several brands of ammo in it. Am going to load a couple strippers of each brand that I have (3 kinds) and try that.

Thanks all for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom