• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help with gun-fearing, liberal friend...

Get a new friend. Until he's robbed, beaten up for no reason or somehow wronged by Progressives and their "forward thinking" policies, he's lost to the real world. I tend to ignore people who try to act "liberal", which is really "Progressive", they bring nothing to the table.
It is funny to watch when they get bit in the backside, by the dumb positions they tend to take. Or they get hit in the pocketbook when taxes and prices go up. Priceless!

Get a new friend. Until he's robbed, beaten up for no reason or somehow wronged by Progressives and their "forward thinking" policies, he's lost to the real world. I tend to ignore people who try to act "liberal", which is really "Progressive", they bring nothing to the table.
It is funny to watch when they get bit in the backside, by the dumb positions they tend to take. Or they get hit in the pocketbook when taxes and prices go up. Priceless!

Problem is, when you live in MA (like I and him do) it becomes normal to think you need to ask permission for your right to bear arms... let's see how a lib feels if they were told to ask permission to use their right to free speech and religion....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Problem is, when you live in MA (like I and him do) it becomes normal to think you need to ask permission for your right to bear arms... let's see how a lib feels if they were told to ask permission to use their right to free speech and religion....

Yes, the social programming has been strong and pervasive here. Having not grow up here, it is like living in the twilight zone where all the ugly people think the normal ones are disfigured.

Which is why I think it worth while to try to educate people that many write off as beyond hope. It acts like a virus replacing their programmed people with ones who won't respond to the "ban guns now" interrupt. They might even pass their knowledge to another previous anti...

They don't have to end up card carrying libertarian, or conservative, or even "pro gun" but when Bloomingidiotberg or Rosencrantz stand up and pound the pulpit they get a lot of blank stares of people wondering what the hell they talking about.

The "anti" message is nonsensical to someone armed with the facts. They will sound like "the end is nigh" crazy guys on the corner to an informed person. Because they are spouting crazy talk.

Eh, just click the unfriend button. I don't waste my time anymore with friends who don't agree with me, nor do I waste my breath and stress myself out anymore trying to offer a different opinion. Even other questions where I have experience on the subject and the other person doesn't. They ask for my views, don't accept it, then say something along the lines of "that's stupid," or "why would I do that." Screw these people. I don't help anybody anymore.

If he is a good friend... dont' force your opinions on him. I have a few real good friends from childhood who just don't want to think or believe what I or others believe in. Which is your right as an American..

I'd just shelf the gun talk and go back to what made you friends in the first place and crack a 30 rack and forget it...

Get him on a range with an adult gun. I took a friend of the wife out who was born and raised in Chicago. The level of skill that it took to accurately fire a gun blew his mind. He took some steps toward the light.

If he wants to meet you half way and have an actual discussion then great. Otherwise he needs to STFU about it. Besides the women folk need some children to protect.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Eh, just click the unfriend button. I don't waste my time anymore with friends who don't agree with me, nor do I waste my breath and stress myself out anymore trying to offer a different opinion. Even other questions where I have experience on the subject and the other person doesn't. They ask for my views, don't accept it, then say something along the lines of "that's stupid," or "why would I do that." Screw these people. I don't help anybody anymore.

That's a loss. I have friends *because* the disagree with me on some things. Otherwise you live in an echo chamber and never learn anything new.

Though I don't have friends who refuse to discuss any disagreements.

Roger that Crono sounds like you are certainly on the right track. He'll come around. Funny thoughmy wife has made a complete 180 since we meet. Wonderful woman who can certainly hold her own.

See, what's different with him is that he's not about making some stand on gun bans. He's just pretty vocal about his opinion and his feelings on those that "think" (in his words) that they should be able to carry a gun. This is the same guy that will shoot air rifles and paintball guns too - and have a great time doing it. Those are apparently alright when used responsibly, but actual guns - in his mind - only make people irresponsible.

I asked him how many times he's ever seen me pull out my carry gun, and he answered never. Said he trusts me, just not everybody else. My answer - "Well, I don't necessarily trust everybody else either - that's why I carry. I can trust another person that carries though, because they've been checked out thoroughly and are allowed to fulfill their second amendment right."

As I stated above - I've shot air rifles with him. Done paintball with him and 20 other people. He has shown a vague interest in maybe going to the range, but as of yet, he has not joined me. Once he figures out that a good guy with a gun isn't the problem, I know I'll have him hooked.

See, what's different with him is that he's not about making some stand on gun bans. He's just pretty vocal about his opinion and his feelings on those that "think" (in his words) that they should be able to carry a gun. This is the same guy that will shoot air rifles and paintball guns too - and have a great time doing it. Those are apparently alright when used responsibly, but actual guns - in his mind - only make people irresponsible.

I asked him how many times he's ever seen me pull out my carry gun, and he answered never. Said he trusts me, just not everybody else. My answer - "Well, I don't necessarily trust everybody else either - that's why I carry. I can trust another person that carries though, because they've been checked out thoroughly and are allowed to fulfill their second amendment right."

As I stated above - I've shot air rifles with him. Done paintball with him and 20 other people. He has shown a vague interest in maybe going to the range, but as of yet, he has not joined me. Once he figures out that a good guy with a gun isn't the problem, I know I'll have him hooked.

Tell him to put the toys away and grow up. And if you do take him to the range, make sure he pays for his own ammo rather than sucker you in to paying for his fun.

I've never once charged gun guys at the range to shoot, I won't offer that courtesy to someone who willfully berates me, my hobby or my rights.

Tell him to put the toys away and grow up. And if you do take him to the range, make sure he pays for his own ammo rather than sucker you in to paying for his fun.

I've never once charged gun guys at the range to shoot, I won't offer that courtesy to someone who willfully berates me, my hobby or my rights.

That's basically what I've already told him. I sold my paintball equipment years ago and moved onto louder guns ;)

You sound like you know him too good though - he's a 30 year old teenager. No kids or wife... he's the perfect candidate to put together a decent arsenal of guns haha ... too bad he's stuck with the toys. Maybe that's where his "real gun" mentality comes from. Real means real... and that's scary to a "child's" mind.

He is a good friend though, so I plan to offer whatever I can to alter his views.

Oh... and good idea with the ammo. Letting him see that owning guns also costs big money might change things too :)

Last edited:
To the OP:

Your friend has a lot of objections. You will not overcome them, en masse.

Break it apart.

First: Is his fear of the object, or the people with said object? If it's the first, get him to the range. If it's the second, ask him if he's afraid of you.

Once you get the main problem defined, you can move on. If he's gone to the range with him, he'll either be fully in mental lockdown, as it was as bad as he imagined, or his eyes will be open. If it's the second, he'll either run away, or his eyes may be opened.

Baby steps.

Good luck.

You can talk all you want but this guy needs real facts he already knows you are biased. Ask why he feels the way he does on each concern. Where does he get his information. Show him articles as someone said where people have defended themselves.

This is a great article from Massad Ayoob. We all know who that is so make sure this friend knows he is an expert. Massad Ayoob » Blog Archive » WHY GOOD PEOPLE NEED SEMIAUTOMATIC FIREARMS AND ?HIGH CAPACITY? MAGAZINES ? Part I

I'd also make sure he knows that most of the people legally carrying have been through some sort of training as opposed to the thug on the street.

He is lumping all gun owners in the same group and needs to be clear on who the good guys and bad guys are.

Then if he's simply afraid of guns take him shooting as everyone said.

- - - Updated - - -

"He feels that people can't be trusted with guns in general, and that having a gun on you will only create a feeling of empowerment that can easily turn ugly whenever one chooses...

Does he have a bad temper? Maybe he's afraid of what might happen if he carried?

Last edited:
"He feels that people can't be trusted with guns in general, and that having a gun on you will only create a feeling of empowerment that can easily turn ugly whenever one chooses...

[/B]
Does he have a bad temper? Maybe he's afraid of what might happen if he carried?

He has a problem with criticism and with accepting others opinions. I'm fairly sure he's never shot a gun. He says when he held one it scared him though.

I agree completely that he is taking his fear of what he may do if he carried and placing that fear on everybody else that carries. And that includes me. He says he trusts me, by its with hesitation. Its just lack of knowledge and training on his part. Media has ruined him basically.

This is what I've been trying to get him to understand. Carrying comes with a hefty responsibility to react rationally. He can't see that because he's never carried. I bet if he had a gun connected to him for one day, he would truly see how different he reacted and thought about everything.

Some people just shouldn't carry, some people are not able to handle the responsibility, maybe he understands this so he has to take the position his has. I wouldn't wast much time trying to flip him.
Sounds simple; keep him as a friend, put up with the shit, and try to manage the topic in his presents (not something I would do; way to much work) OR dump him...
Good luck...

Some people just shouldn't carry, some people are not able to handle the responsibility, maybe he understands this so he has to take the position his has. I wouldn't wast much time trying to flip him.
Sounds simple; keep him as a friend, put up with the shit, and try to manage the topic in his presents (not something I would do; way to much work) OR dump him...
Good luck...

Not trying to get him buying guns and carrying and all. I mean, if he were to choose to do all that, then that's great. I just want him to realize that just because it's not for him, doesn't mean other people are in the wrong. And i have stopped bringing it up with him - Problem is, he brings it up with me. And 2A support is not something I'm about to ignore when a gun-banner is bringing it up. ;)

Not trying to get him buying guns and carrying and all. I mean, if he were to choose to do all that, then that's great. I just want him to realize that just because it's not for him, doesn't mean other people are in the wrong. And i have stopped bringing it up with him - Problem is, he brings it up with me. And 2A support is not something I'm about to ignore when a gun-banner is bringing it up. ;)
and that's the thing, we don't need "the other half" to be like us, they just have to not use the violence of government against us to force us to live helpless and in fear like they do.

The objective is to educate them so that they can differentiate between the truth and what we see in the media. If they don't want to carry or still don't like guns, they should be as free to not buy them as we are to buy them.

and that's the thing, we don't need "the other half" to be like us, they just have to not use the violence of government against us to force us to live helpless and in fear like they do.

The objective is to educate them so that they can differentiate between the truth and what we see in the media. If they don't want to carry or still don't like guns, they should be as free to not buy them as we are to buy them.

Exactly this ^^

Tell him he is a pussy, and you will protect him if the need arises. The government will not.

That's a loss. I have friends *because* the disagree with me on some things. Otherwise you live in an echo chamber and never learn anything new.

Though I don't have friends who refuse to discuss any disagreements.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I only have friends that agree with me. It's just a couple buddies who ask for my opinion, dismiss it and continue down the same path. I just keep my mouth shut now and laugh on the inside.

Old thread, but I believed it needed an update. Since posting this, that friend has gone out shooting with me multiple times. He even tagged along for this past June's Dave Hanan Car Shoot! He loved every second of it. And about a week ago, he told me he's putting money into getting his LTC now. ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Old thread, but I believed it needed an update. Since posting this, that friend has gone out shooting with me multiple times. He even tagged along for this past June's Dave Hanan Car Shoot! He loved every second of it. And about a week ago, he told me he's putting money into getting his LTC now. ;)

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![rockon]

Nice. At least a few times a year you should remind him how much of a scared little sheep he was before he finally grew up and realized responsible adults are responsible for their own safety and protection of their family and home. Good for him and good for you.

Well I'll be damned. Good for you. While you're on this roll. Explain to home that 30 to 50 % of his income is being seized to pay for stuff he doesn't want or need by the .gov.

Good work crono1000! You took and anti and added one to the PRO-2A side!

Thanks... It only took over a year!

Well I'll be damned. Good for you. While you're on this roll. Explain to home that 30 to 50 % of his income is being seized to pay for stuff he doesn't want or need by the .gov.

I think that's an even slower road to get him down. Lord knows I've tried... Baby steps I guess :D

Thanks... It only took over a year!

I think that's an even slower road to get him down. Lord knows I've tried... Baby steps I guess :D

Once you pull back the curtain on actual adult-hood, the house of cards starts to fall in many cases. It takes a while since the programming to remain a child/subject has been beaten into them from every aspect ("is this legal? do I have to register it?") of their existence.

Life for a progressive rank-and-file is decades of "mother may I". Progressive leaders drink, drive, kill, rape, steal, etc... because they know they have a stranglehold on their subjects who don't know who to ask for permission to stop their leaders from abusing them or their power.

It really does all boil down to seg-faulting that basic programming of "OBEY", "YOU ARE NOT CAPABLE OF TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF"...

Some will never get over the fear and will overdose on blue pills trying to get back into the machine... Some/many will eventually get over it if prodded.

Back
Top Bottom