• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help with gun-fearing, liberal friend...

Old thread, but I believed it needed an update. Since posting this, that friend has gone out shooting with me multiple times. He even tagged along for this past June's Dave Hanan Car Shoot! He loved every second of it. And about a week ago, he told me he's putting money into getting his LTC now. ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

the Dark side is better we have cookies [cheers]

Awesome job! I'm new here(getting my license in the next couple months) and I too have a best friend liberal. Hard going, but now I know there's hope!

Awesome job! I'm new here(getting my license in the next couple months) and I too have a best friend liberal. Hard going, but now I know there's hope!

Well welcome to NES, and start saving money now for the guns you'll be able to buy soon. :) And yeah, it is nice to know there is hope lol

Hey guys (and girls), I have an issue with a friend. This guy has been a close friend for years, and he has never shared in my interest in guns, which has always been fine. He recently started a discussion with me a couple weeks back about his thoughts on guns. A few of his thoughts include things such as thinking that there is no need to carry a handgun anywhere other than maybe Chicago or Detroit (any big city with higher crime rates I guess). He believes that there is really no need for a person to need anything that holds a lot of cartridges, as his though is that one bullet will stop somebody. He feels that people can't be trusted with guns in general, and that having a gun on you will only create a feeling of empowerment that can easily turn ugly whenever one chooses...

Obviously, I've tried to direct him differently with multiple arguments for every single un-educated opinion he has, but without really hurting his feelings I have found it almost impossible for him to understand that his thoughts are unfounded, irrational, and naive. Even using small little quirky sayings like, "A gun is like a parachute - you may only need it once, but if you don't have it, you'll never need it again" doesn't even make him wonder. His response, "I know where cliffs are, I don't know where everybody with a gun is." just makes me want to pull my hair out. I'm not trying to sway his opinion, but I would like him to realize that his fear is irrational and his own fear is based on himself and shouldn't be put upon people who are competent and able to carry a gun without such craziness as he feels comes with the territory.

I'm sure others have dealt with this and I'd love any input that might help me get him to come around. And yes, I fully intend on convincing him to come shooting with me... If I can, that is. Haha

Meh..people have different opinions. I have friends like that and just keep it off the table of discussions with them. I also tell them to call me when they are in a jam and the police arent showing up, so he can let me watch what happens on Skype :)

Sent from the blind

Back
Top Bottom