Need Help With A Gun Light

In God We Trust

NES Member
So gents, I am pretty confused. I'm looking at a Remington 870 "Magpul Edition" and I want to mount a light on it. There seem to be a million options for sale, but I'm not sure what would work with this furniture.

8892126bd74782c1c61b3186904efa9e.jpg

I'm not worried about price (within reason) and want something quality.

Any help is appreciated. [emoji106]

I've got the TLR-1 HL on a pistol and it's BRIGHT. Honestly for indoor use it might be too bright. I like the option for momentary or stay on but would prefer not to have the strobe. Hitting momentary twice too quickly turns on strobe and could be a real PITA if you didn't mean to do that.

One of these days I'll get a regular TLR-1 to compare. I could see moving the HL to a rifle.

I just checked and Streamlight even makes a mount for the 870 that goes on under the mag tube nut. Read the reviews because it doesn't fit under some of the forearms.

Yes Streamlight. And stock up on CR123s.

Full disclosure, I have an ElZetta mount on my 870 with a 2AA 4Sevens light which I have never identified a need to replace. I like to have the ability to recharge my batteries and keep them all fresh. But I do have a few Streamlights on my other guns and a pile of CR123s in my desk drawer. They are definitely brighter and more ergonomical and "tactical." If I were buying a light for a new 870 I would go with Streamlight.

I actually have a TRL but I use it on my 1911. I don't really like it for a shotgun.

I have seen some that have a wire that runs down towards the trigger with a switch, but I worry about the wire getting cut or snagged.

I already have a few "tactical " type flashlights so I may just get one of the barrel mounts

What did you hate about it (other than the price)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The cheap plastic mounting system, the weak throw and brightness level. I had it mounted on my G21 HD gun and on this particular pistol the lense is right in the flash zone and after 10 rounds there was so much reside on it it was dim. I did not think the construction was all that and changing the battery is a pain in the ass.

I have a Surefire on my LWRC go to hell rifle, but in general I think they are highly overpriced.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like the TLR's, but have no use for a strobe feature. I think it's gimmicky at best.
I would agree with that, but another thing that I like on the TLR vs the X300 is the actuation switch. It sucks on the surefire.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Have a friend activate the strobe mode on you in a dark room at 5-10 yards. I have done this and it disoriented the poop out of me. That is its purpose and I keep it at the ready for exactly that.

Disorientation is a two way street with strobes. Besides, the purpose of a weapon light is to use it to quickly turn it on to gather information and find threats, and then turn it off. Keeping it running, whether a solid beam or strobe telegraphs your position.

the TLR is better suited for a pistol. on a shotgun go with something brighter and bigger. there are tons of options such as a streamlight polytac or an inforce WML. options are abundant.

and OP not sure if specifically this is your question, but with the magpul forend you will need an MLOK adapter. there are picatinny rails that mount to the MLOK, which would then allow you to mount just about any flashlight. there may also be an MLOK-flashlight mount out there but none of which i am personally aware.

the elzetta mount is quite nice but more useful if the furniture cannot already accept a flashlight. the whole point of the magpul furniture is to have this functionality, so a separate elzetta mount sort of negates the whole point of the magpul furniture.

Inforce WML's are structurally weak. There's plenty of YouTube videos that can attest to this. The polymer housing is prone to cracking, which would be a concern with the recoil of a shotgun.

Inforce WML's are structurally weak. There's plenty of YouTube videos that can attest to this. The polymer housing is prone to cracking, which would be a concern with the recoil of a shotgun.

Well mine has held up very well to nothing short of abuse. Im sure its not built strong enough for all the tactical tards and keyboard commandos out there, but for my purposes the WML is legit. Either way, this entire theead is about mounting a TLR to a shotgun, which is flat out silly.

what has been your experience w the inforce WML?

Well mine has held up very well to nothing short of abuse. Im sure its not built strong enough for all the tactical tards and keyboard commandos out there, but for my purposes the WML is legit. Either way, this entire theead is about mounting a TLR to a shotgun, which is flat out silly.

what has been your experience w the inforce WML?

I actually had one for about six months and got rid of it.

the TLR is better suited for a pistol. on a shotgun go with something brighter and bigger. there are tons of options such as a streamlight polytac or an inforce WML. options are abundant.

and OP not sure if specifically this is your question, but with the magpul forend you will need an MLOK adapter. there are picatinny rails that mount to the MLOK, which would then allow you to mount just about any flashlight. there may also be an MLOK-flashlight mount out there but none of which i am personally aware.

the elzetta mount is quite nice but more useful if the furniture cannot already accept a flashlight. the whole point of the magpul furniture is to have this functionality, so a separate elzetta mount sort of negates the whole point of the magpul furniture.

Thanks dude. This is the answer I needed.

I ordered an Odin Works MLOK mount from Amazon after reading this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A...odin+works&dpPl=1&dpID=31qTqg11YLL&ref=plSrch

It seemed like it was the best mounting position (giggity!) and the price was right. Im just not sure if I will like having the light on the forward grip.

If it doesn't work for me, I will try the Elzetta.

Back
Top Bottom