• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help picking safe....3 days to decide!

The Murphy Clause. When planning time, money, or any measure of capacity, make your best estimate and then make it 50% bigger.

If you have to move it around consider a snap-safe. They disassemble and can be assembled in place. Mine is alright. No drywall - they use fire blankets and the fire protection is better than most safes on the market. If you're going up a flight of stairs - as I did - there's nothing easier. If you do end up going with some unit that doesn't break down then have them (the safe co) install it for you. They have special lifts to use on stairs, etc. there is physically no way you and your buddies can get it up a set of stairs safely. tight quarters means you can only get one dude on the bottom and one on the top. the dude on the bottom is the one in real danger and that means each has to shoulder 1/2 the load which could be in excess of 200+ pounds per person... If that thing starts to go over - the buddy on the bottom is..... well...... you'll be attending his funeral. Not worth it IMHO. I like my friends enough not to endanger their lives and I like myself enough to not endanger my own. Not for the couple hundred to have someone with proper tools do it right. If you have enough guns that you now need a safe - then you can afford this. No excuse...

Last edited:
Hi there. First of all - you wanna safe or cabinet? If you have many rifles or other stuff like sniper bag, powder measure, reloading press, etc, you probably need to go for a cabinet. Otherwise, safe is more durable and secured (fireproof, waterproof). In the best gun safe under 1000 you'll probably find one you're looking for.

SPAM. GTFO. Nice review site to drive up Amazon referral $ to yourself.

why does NES insist upon insserting my replies as a double post....

Apparently NES thinks you have a lot of good things to say that are worth repeating. ;)

IMHO buy the biggest thing you can afford + fit through your door.

Wish I did that years ago instead of having the hodgepodge of crap I have now.

Also, its foolish to assume that you won't need the capacity. Just ask anyone that has gotten "that call" from a friend or relative that, for a myriad of reasons, cannot hang onto their guns at a given time, either due to legal or health issues, etc. I never thought id get that phone call, but I did, and basically we had the additional problem of having to orchestrate storage in short order.

-Mike

I hear you but the space is limited where I want it to tuck it away. If I didn't mind having some massive safe sitting in the living room, size wouldn't be an issue but this thing at 30" wide is already pushing it if I want it out of sight (which I do). I was thinking if space becomes an issue in the future, I may just keep my most valuable guns in this safe (which will be in the house) and just bolt down a couple of those secureit metal gun lockers in my locked shed as there is open space for a few against one of the walls.

I also don't want to end up with one massive unmovable behemoth in case I want to move it around or in the unlikely event that I move to a new house in the future. I feel like its better to have one decent size but manageable safe close by with all my most valuable guns and a few lighter gun lockers out of the way for the rest (if needed).

If you have to move it around consider a snap-safe. They disassemble and can be assembled in place. Mine is alright. No drywall - they use fire blankets and the fire protection is better than most safes on the market. If you're going up a flight of stairs - as I did - there's nothing easier. If you do end up going with some unit that doesn't break down then have them (the safe co) install it for you. They have special lifts to use on stairs, etc. there is physically no way you and your buddies can get it up a set of stairs safely. tight quarters means you can only get one dude on the bottom and one on the top. the dude on the bottom is the one in real danger and that means each has to shoulder 1/2 the load which could be in excess of 200+ pounds per person... If that thing starts to go over - the buddy on the bottom is..... well...... you'll be attending his funeral. Not worth it IMHO. I like my friends enough not to endanger their lives and I like myself enough to not endanger my own. Not for the couple hundred to have someone with proper tools do it right. If you have enough guns that you now need a safe - then you can afford this. No excuse...

LOL it's honestly going through 3 stairs max strapped to a dolly. Shouldn't be too difficult with two guys gripping the top and one below to guide it down. If I wasn't recovering from hip surgery, I would throw on a belt and try to do it with just my brother. Would be my deadlift workout for the week :p lucky for my back, I'm a small weak cripple right now so I'll just be watching...

We just ordered an Eastern Security Sportsman 40; added lighting. About double the size we really need...today. For the money it appears to be a ripping good deal compared what you would get at the big box stores. My wife went there just to talk to them (she works a mile away) and see what their offerings were like. 1,100 safes on the floor to choose from. They were incredibly nice to her. I called later with some questions and they were very helpful. There are certain things I feel should be purchased from people in the business; a safe is one of them. Plus it is an opportunity to support a local business that has been serving the community for a long time.

With that said, any secure box is way better than nothing at all. Heaven forbid that your gun gets stolen and into the wrong hands.

I went to Dependable Lock in Nashua at the beginning of this year and got the previous year model for about $400 or so off being a leftover and ended up with a Liberty safe a couple of levels better for under my budget. I'd see if they or any of the other reputable dealers have a leftover that would work for you. You might be able to get a better deal than you think.

There are a host of reasons to not finance anything. The biggest one is risk. If something happens in the near future like a job loss you may end up paying the interest that was free earlier. The minimum payments will not get you to 0 in 18 months so if you don't pay it off on the last month you get to pay interest. And my favorite are the 0% interest loans that if they aren't paid off in 18 months make you pay all the interest you didn't pay for the previous 18 months.
Finally since you have the money why would you want to make payments? That 18 months of "return" don't add up to shit. Even if you made 10% per year on it $1000 only adds up to $15. The average Credit card interest is 18%.

uhhh... do that math for me one more time.

His math was right as it was based on 18 months or 1.5 years.

There's 3 types of people in this world, those that can do math and those that can't do math.

His math was right as it was based on 18 months or 1.5 years.

There's 3 types of people in this world, those that can do math and those that can't do math.

Even if you ignore the fact that he didn't compound, its still wrong. Sorry.

I try not to correct people unless I am sure. Makes for fewer embarrassing foot-in-mouth moments. Doesn't always work, but you can't win them all.

Last edited:
Even if you ignore the fact that he didn't compound, its still wrong. Sorry.

I try not to correct people unless I am sure. Makes for fewer embarrassing foot-in-mouth moments. Doesn't always work, but you can't win them all.

Ok, I stand corrected. It should have been 0.10% instead of 10% Easy mistake to make when in a hurry during lunchtime.
However, my comment about, "There's 3 types of people in this world, those that can do math and those that can't do math." still stands. lol

But, but he was in a hurry during lunchtime. Easy mistake to make he said.

Sounds like he just doesn't know that he just doesn't know.

Plus, he threw in a stupid “lol.” That is supposed to make it alright.

But, but he was in a hurry during lunchtime. Easy mistake to make he said.

Sounds like he just doesn't know that he just doesn't know.

Plus, he threw in a stupid “lol.” That is supposed to make it alright.

You guys just don't get the joke.

In this market, getting a 10% return from even a cookie cutter fund is not too difficult. I'll take my interest free money, thanks :D

I went to Dependable Lock in Nashua at the beginning of this year and got the previous year model for about $400 or so off being a leftover and ended up with a Liberty safe a couple of levels better for under my budget. I'd see if they or any of the other reputable dealers have a leftover that would work for you. You might be able to get a better deal than you think.

This is where I went today. Showed up near closing like an ass but could not get there any sooner. Guys at the shop were great, very professional and honored an agreed upon price despite me showing up to the wrong location after dealing with a different manager at different location. Yes, I did take advantage of the 18 months 0% interest.

Honestly, I underestimated how hard it would be to get the safe in. I bought my buddies dinner, filled the truck with gas, and forcefully gave them a little something for the hassle and still feel bad. I owe them big time, especially with how fricken cold it was today! Very fortunate to have friends who are so loyal and just as crazy (wouldn't let me call it off this morning when I told them its too cold because they already "gave me their word" lol I love those guys)

Also, at one point, for some idiotic reason, stupid me with one crutch in one hand tried to "help" hold some of the safe's weight coming down the stairs....6 weeks post fricken hip surgery :( the hip QUICKLY let me know its had enough and my friends let me know how stupid I am when they noticed my crippled ass being stupid! Looking back, I can't believe I even attempted that crap. Very fortunate to not have messed it up again :oops: I owe God an extra thank you prayer tonight.

It was an interesting day....oh, the safe is pretty nice too :cool: time to continue filling it up.

Last edited:
In this market, getting a 10% return from even a cookie cutter fund is not too difficult. I'll take my interest free money, thanks :D

This is where I went today. Showed up near closing like an ass but could not get there any sooner. Guys at the shop were great, very professional and honored an agreed upon price despite me showing up to the wrong location after dealing with a different manager at different location. Yes, I did take advantage of the 18 months 0% interest.

Honestly, I underestimated how easy it would be to get the safe in. I bought my buddies dinner, filled the truck with gas, and forcefully gave them a little something for the hassle and still feel bad. I owe them big time, especially with how fricken cold it was today! Very fortunate to have friends who are so loyal and just as crazy (wouldn't let me call it off this morning when I told them its too cold because they already "gave me their word" lol I love those guys)

Also, at one point, for some idiotic reason, stupid me with one crutch in one hand tried to "help" hold some of the safe's weight coming down the stairs....6 weeks post fricken hip surgery :( the hip QUICKLY let me know its had enough and my friends let me know how stupid I am when they noticed my crippled ass being stupid! Looking back, I can't believe I even attempted that crap. Very fortunate to not have messed it up again :oops: I owe God an extra thank you prayer tonight.

It was an interesting day....oh, the safe is pretty nice too :cool: time to continue filling it up.

Congrats on the safe. And yes, you will earn more than .01 or $10 on your $1,000 in a year's time (not including compounding). Since Trump's election on 11/8-9/16, as of 11/8/17, the Dow is up 28%, but with the typical disclaimer, futures, stocks, and options trading involve risks that is not suitable for all investors.

Dow’s 1-year gain since Trump’s win is its biggest post-Election Day rise since 1945

Back
Top Bottom