• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help on how to purchase a donated shotgun

Cars&Guns

NES Member
Someone donated an old shotgun with no serial or identification markers on it to a thrift store. The only thing it says is "steel barrels"
How would I go about purchasing if no one at the thrift shop has an LTC or any type of paperwork of where the shotgun came from. I'm sure there is a simple answer but I just wanted some clarity.
Thanks

The lack of a serial number is not an issue unless its been obliterated,

Call your favorite FFL and ask them if they'll do the transfer if you walk it in?

The lack of a serial number is not an issue unless its been obliterated,

Call your favorite FFL and ask them if they'll do the transfer if you walk it in?
Ya that's what I was thinking but didnt know if it being donated with no record of its origin would be a problem.

Maybe just buy it and delete this thread, and enjoy your freedom gun :)
exactly my thoughts. if they're willing to sell, just plunk down the cash and walk out the door with it. i'm still surprised people come on and ask that or similar stuff.

exactly my thoughts. if they're willing to sell, just plunk down the cash and walk out the door with it. i'm still surprised people come on and ask that or similar stuff.
All true, but in this shit state there is still the slight possibility that this is a "sting". But, that's just me. I don't trust anyone. Jack.

no serial number (assuming not removed) means its pre-GCA of 1968 so C&R eligible, so if you have a C&R you can buy it directly from a non-licensed entity

no serial number (assuming not removed) means its pre-GCA of 1968 so C&R eligible, so if you have a C&R you can buy it directly from a non-licensed entity
federal law, yes. MA law, no. MA does not (yet) recognize the C&R. Even once they do it does not help in this case.

federal law, yes. MA law, no. MA does not (yet) recognize the C&R. Even once they do it does not help in this case.
A MA CMR recognizes a C&R FFL as making one a "bona fide collector" - the only reason for a MA machine gun license other than trainer of LE.

A MA CMR recognizes a C&R FFL as making one a "bona fide collector" - the only reason for a MA machine gun license other than trainer of LE.

This +1

Inquiring about a green card the first question I was asked, "Do you have your C&R?" Then I was told "Now convince the chief you are going to begin collecting machine-guns."

This +1

Inquiring about a green card the first question I was asked, "Do you have your C&R?" Then I was told "Now convince the chief you are going to begin collecting machine-guns."
Like everything else, it depends in the PD. I've had the 03 for 40 yrs now and my PD could care less when they issued the original green card and have done all the renewals.

Back
Top Bottom