• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

need help on choicing first shotgun

Looking at the benelli supernova and Winchester sxp. The supernova cost $600 in camp and the sxp cost $490 in camo. I am a sophomore in high-school so I am on a budget. Looking to use it for waterfowl, upland birds, small game and deer. What do you think is better out of the two and what color camouflage should I get realtree algorithm or max4 I don't like how black stocks looks and have heard the new 870 express's quality has gotten worse. Probably going to go look at some guns after my birthday in may

Look for a used Remington 1100. I have a magnum and regular. Both I got for around $350. I used my magnum for upland bird, hasn't let me down yet, i will probably be looking into the 11-87 If I get more into bird hunting, but that depends on my ability to train my dog. My other one I used for sporting clays, trap, skeet, 5 stand and I have a rifled barrel for it as well. It is definitely a universal firearm and parts are inexpensive for it.

I would recommend the Benelli. I have the Nova pump, and my friends have the Supernova and SBE and they're all amazing. Max 4 is good for waterfowl and upland hunting.

OP:

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU TRY THEM ON FOR SIZE!

If you would not buy a pair of boots for $50 without putting them on your feet, don't drop several hundred bucks on a shottie without trying it on.

You have to get a gun that fits you, especially as you want one gun to do it all. Your choices are not bad, but buying a name brand or a label is not the best way to go, IMO.

Go to your local club, and let the shotgunners know that you're looking for a new gun - you'll likely get offers to try on a selection, and you can make an informed choice.

I'd buy a Remington 1187A with full set of chokes...with these chokes, you can shoot trap, skeet, and waterfowl.....used about $700. I bought one for use in trap, had the right choke, patterned my shotshell reloads, and been averaging19-20 and had a high of 23 out of 25 competing with those with $2 & 3k trap guns. and I have only been shooting trap two years. HOWEVER, it is VERY important to have the stock measured to you and cut to your size. Did this to my Citori skeet barreled shotgun in the early 80's. My gunsmith, Rustblue Gunsmithing [email protected] in Natick, the town I moved from to retrire here west of Worcester 10 years ago, is an expert in this field and fitted my 1187 perfectly..cost $120 and if it's not right, he'll adjust at no charge. Also does all my gallery match pistol work. Funny, he moved in to a house three houses down from me where I used to live before reting west out here. [grin]

Try them all on your shoulder.

That being said, the supernova is VERY hard to beat. Which model are you going with? I'm going to be picking up the 18.5 tactical as soon as I can find a place that actually has one on the shelf.

Hey Justin!

If those are your two choices, I would personally chose the Benelli Super Nova, I think it's a much better shotgun. But as always, you should always try out the gun and other guns and find out if they fit. If the gun doesn't fit, you're not going to hit. Any camo choice should do you well, it's all preference. I wouldn't discount any other shotguns though, many will do you well! I'll let you shoot my 1100 sometime or my 870. The 870 Express may not be the Wingmaster of old, but it'll still do the job well.

-EJ

Go green and get a raffle ticket.

Pan Mass Challenge Raffle: Benelli Supernova Tactical

Rockriver has one up for a raffle.

See what fits you but out of those two...the benelli supernova... I just picked one up about a month ago in max4...awesome firearm! Look around..I got a used one with m,f,ic and a turkey choke, turkey hunting stand and a few boxes of ammo for $400.

You can find a nice used semi- auto up at kittery trading post for around 4-500 dollars last time I checked

Dicks sells a mossberg 500 field deer combo for 300 bucks... you get a bird barrel and a slug barrel with a cantilever scope mount.... Best deal in shot guns out there!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom