Need Help Mice in Attic

gxx9sdb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Mice are once again having a party in the attic and it is driving me nuts. Attic has blown in insulation so I need to figure out where they are entering the house and cut them off there. Any tips on how to do that?

I did plug some holes in the garage a while back with steel wool and thought I was golden. Apparently the latest cold snap encouraged the buggers to find a new way in.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
What kind of foundation you have? Dont say fieldstone...

Check any penetrations (sillcock, electrical service, plumbing). They like to squeeze under doors also.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Bucket, metal can, small rod, peanut butter, water and antifreeze:

Problem solved.
I was also going to suggest this, numerous people have said It works well. I also heard to change up the bait.
Also seal up any hole, anywhere, everywhere, no matter where in the house it is

Or possibly leave a huge snake up there.

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Victor snap traps. There's a reason they've been selling them for multiple lifetimes. Place them along walls and in narrow places. Mice don't run out in the open.

Use peanut butter for bait. I've read studies that show peanut butter works best.

Oh, and plug the mouse leaks in your house.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most effective is the cheap old school snap traps. They're a buck or two for four traps at Home Depot. Get the cheap ones with the metal bait holder I think they are made by Victor. Put some peanut butter and repeat until they are gone. I'm not sure what the deal is this year but there seem to be a lot of them.

rocket500

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
We've had a lot too. At one point I bet I had 50 traps baited in my attic. I went through about 10 mice and now I hardly get any.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Plug holes eliminate food sources...think they are only in your attic?
Little buggers would climb up the drain pipes. Sounded like elephants. How those little buggers make so much noise is beyound me.
My cat was useless. Kills everything in the yard...but wouldn't touch anything in the house.

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The bucket doesn't need to be reset or rebated. That's why I switched away from victor or sticky pad traps. Google the bucket method. Plenty of people catching 10+ mice between checks.

rocket500

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
My wife does a variant of this outdoors. 5 gallon pail, water, sunflower seeds and a board. Set the board from the wall in the garden to the pail and the dopey mice just dive in and die, along with chipmunks. Even a couple of squirrels although they can swim and have to be "corrected".

Gator9329

That Guy
NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Question, Do you think having baited traps in the attic would attract the mice? I want to set some traps with peanut butter to see if I have anything up there. I don't want the mice to seek out the bait from outside.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
You've got a problem. Such a large space, such a little creature. Block one hole, they'll find a crack. Block the crack, they will eat a hole. They know the warm refuge is there and probably have some food stores there. You need Decon, a lot of it. Search for the food stores. Replace it with Decon. Try http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pest-A-Cator-Plus-2000-Electronic-Rodent-Repeller-12200/100617624#. You need a couple of them, even though they say they work over 2,000 square feet. We have 3 in 2,000 square feet. They have to be hungry and uncomfortable to move out. A few dead mice, no food and ear piercing noise should do it. Of course, a cat will too.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Question, Do you think having baited traps in the attic would attract the mice? I want to set some traps with peanut butter to see if I have anything up there. I don't want the mice to seek out the bait from outside.
They will lick the peanut butter right off the trap and you'll create a nice food source. You need to squish Tootsie Rolls on the trap and change the bait and clean the trap ASAP or they will eat the Tootsie Roll off the snapped trap while standing on the body of their dead friend.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.6%
40   1   0
They will lick the peanut butter right off the trap and you'll create a nice food source. You need to squish Tootsie Rolls on the trap and change the bait and clean the trap ASAP or they will eat the Tootsie Roll off the snapped trap while standing on the body of their dead friend.
So mice are democrats?

BostonVI

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you go with snap traps make sure you test the sensitivity of the catch. I had a few snap traps setup at my old place and while browning through NES I watched one of those bastards eat the peanut butter right out of the trap, then go back to hiding. I eventually got him, but man was I pissed!

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I was also going to suggest this, numerous people have said It works well. I also heard to change up the bait.
Also seal up any hole, anywhere, everywhere, no matter where in the house it is

Or possibly leave a huge snake up there.
I use a bucket trap similar to the one that xtry51 posted except I use old fryer oil instead of antifreeze. When peanut butter stops working, switch to fruit roll-ups, then back again.

I don't plug the holes either. I'm thinking of making new holes with bait trails right up to my trap.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Snap traps are a waste of money. I see them in crawlspaces and comm closets all the time at work with the traps tripped, no dead mouse and the bait gone.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Get a cat.

I once lived in a house that was built in 1790 - it had mice everywhere. We had them leaving their little poops in the drawers in the kitchen cabinets. You could hear them running thru the walls.

Within 1 week of getting a cat in the house - they were gone. I used to let him down in the basement and he would spend hours down there. He would sit near the holes in the foundation and wait for them to come in.

I lived there for a year and a half after that and never saw another mouse.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
But then... how do you get rid of the cat?
You can do it the hard way or you can do it the easy way. There's a reason why farmers keep cats and until every mouse in the world ceases to exist that reason will always exist.

If you don't like cats then you can spend the rest of your life planting traps and chasing small holes in your foundation - your choice.

Top Bottom