Need help! Glock 19

seanc

NES Member
All need some help here. I have an old glock 19. I think it’s a gen 2.It has been having issues so I have swapped out all the springs and just swapped the recoil spring for a rod and Wolff spring.

it is still having an issue where, it will shoot a round, eject and load. But the trigger is not resetting. I need to open the action a bit to get the trigger to reset.

but just now. It went full auto on me. As it was having issues I was only loading 3 or 4 rounds at a time. But it stared going from not resetting to full auto.

what do I need to do to fix this? I am guessing there is one, maybe 2 bad springs here?

And NO this is an issue that needs to be fixed. Not an amusing feature.

Best bet is a detailed disassembly of the lower by someone who know what they are doing (including, but not limited to, Glock certified armorers) to check all parts. Trigger should reset based on the firing pin spring resisting the push back of the firing pin when the protuberance on the firing pin presses on the cruciform sear plate. I'd start by checking the firing pin spring and the engagement between the firing pin and sear plate using a 1/2 sized rear slide plate for visibility.

I’ll echo Rob’s comment and get the gun to a gunsmith of good repute. Plenty of good ones are on this forum.

Doesn't even rate a gunsmith. Glock armorer is WAY below the level of a real gunsmith. Using Greg Derr for something this simple is like hiring Alan Gura to fight a traffic citation.

Last edited:
Here's the best way to fix a Glock:
- replace the frame with a SIG 226 frame
- replace the slide with a SIG 226 slide
- switch out the internals for SIG 226 internals
- switch the stock Glock barrel for a SIG 226 barrel
It should work flawlessly now of you use SIG 226 mags. You're welcome.

it not seem like it is slam firing like an open bolt gun. If that means anything.

Do you think doing a completely new spring kit would likely eliminate the issue?

Easy there Glock-a-phobic Sig-boy.

[/QUOTE] I own two: a G17, milled slide, RMR, Vogel competition trigger, Vickers parts, agency arms magwell, and a G26 tlr6 in FDE. Not too shabby for a Glock-a-phobic SIG boy, I guess. What do you got? I mean, besides a fugged up 2nd gen?

Has the trigger bar been replaced? Is it damaged?
It looked ok when I put a new trigger spring in. But I probably have a stock one from my g26. When I changed that Many years ago.I could give that a try.
i threw a different plunger spring in and it seems to feel really different from before.
if this does not work. Maybe I will try a stock trigger bar.

after that I will to find somebody competen.

I own two: a G17, milled slide, RMR, Vogel competition trigger, Vickers parts, agency arms magwell, and a G26 tlr6 in FDE. Not too shabby for a Glock-a-phobic SIG boy, I guess. What do you got? I mean, besides a fugged up 2nd gen?
[/QUOTE]
For 9s (Currently)
g19
g26
pps
beretta 92
cz tac sport
p7m8
fa uzi
fa mp40

maybe a few more that I am not remembering right now? I have sold off a lot.

It looked ok when I put a new trigger spring in. But I probably have a stock one from my g26. When I changed that Many years ago.I could give that a try.
i threw a different plunger spring in and it seems to feel really different from before.
if this does not work. Maybe I will try a stock trigger bar.

after that I will to find somebody competen.
I'd start by removing all the aftermarket stuff youve added and putting back the factory parts and seeing if the problem is still there.

BLASPHEMY

Hey OP. If you're near Worcester, I'll tear it apart and check things out for you.

I went to an armorers school a year ago. We tore down Glocks, there's not a whole lot to them. That issue wasn't specifically addressed, but there's only like 3 parts that control the trigger group. Sounds to me like you have a bent/worn part that needs replacing, unless your frame is jacked and not holding stuff in the right place.

Funny, we didn't spend much time on the Glocks, then we switched to them. Should have spent more time with them.

All need some help here. I have an old glock 19. I think it’s a gen 2.It has been having issues so I have swapped out all the springs and just swapped the recoil spring for a rod and Wolff spring.

it is still having an issue where, it will shoot a round, eject and load. But the trigger is not resetting. I need to open the action a bit to get the trigger to reset.

but just now. It went full auto on me. As it was having issues I was only loading 3 or 4 rounds at a time. But it stared going from not resetting to full auto.

what do I need to do to fix this? I am guessing there is one, maybe 2 bad springs here?

And NO this is an issue that needs to be fixed. Not an amusing feature.
I bought a Glock 19 2nd generation. Used from a local gun store. I called glock about a tune up and they told me that if I sent it to them they would replace all the internal parts at no cost. When I got the gun back they had even replaced the magazines. The turn around time was 2 weeks . I hope this helps

Hey OP. If you're near Worcester, I'll tear it apart and check things out for you.

Seriously. OP - It needs a stripdown to small parts, cleaning, reassembly. There are also some simple things one can do to detect whether worn parts are an issue, especially the sear/cruciform. I'm confident Roland knows those from things he's posted over the years. Just run through it. Your sticky trigger reset/slam fire is part of a syndrome of dirty and/or worn parts. Him or some gunsmith/armorer. Or send it in to Glock. It's a really simple machine.

I'd take out all non factory parts and replace them with real Glock parts.
For god sakes that is what is needed!

Don't put aftermarket crap into a Glock and expect it to work properly.

I bet the cruciform on the trigger bar is out of spec or has been polished.

There is a slide cover plate used to test this. It is orange and does not cover the whole back of the slide.

When this orange slide cover plate is installed, you will notice that the firing pin lug is not correctly engaging the trigger bar.

1-7-jpg.310732

1. The purpose of an armorer’s slide cover plate is to allow you to see the firing pin lug and trigger bar extension engagement (arrow), and to observe the trigger bar and drop safety operation when the trigger is pulled rearward. The firing pin lug engagement should cover no less than two-thirds of the rear trigger bar tab for safe operation. If the engagement passes inspection, remove the armorer’s cover plate and install the new Rival Arms cover plate. Never fire a gun with an inspection plate installed.

Attachments

• 1-7.jpg
    1-7.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 556
have you cleaned out the striker channel? reset issues likely due to gunked up channel causing binding of the striker.

FA is a separate issue im guessing trigger bar and firing pin block are off. if it’s going FA i would send it back to glock but given its gen 2 you may not be able to get a replacement. as noted above aftermarket parts gotta go.

BLASPHEMY

I think we know you well enough to believe this is an honest offer. But I still have to wonder whether you would show up in uniform.

1. Op posts about a 9mm Glock going full auto
2. LEO offers to come take a look-see...

;)

I was guessing trigger bar is damaged. And possibly striker is gunked up super bad with foul. Odd that it would fail in go mode though. I would have thought it would be more likely to fail in "not able to set" mode.

Last edited:
have you cleaned out the striker channel? reset issues likely due to gunked up channel causing binding of the striker.

FA is a separate issue im guessing trigger bar and firing pin block are off. if it’s going FA i would send it back to glock but given its gen 2 you may not be able to get a replacement. as noted above aftermarket parts gotta go.
I would suspect that the 2nd Gen frame will work just fine after the parts get replaced.

Glock will have no problem sending it back to the owner.

I think we know you well enough to believe this is an honest offer. But I still have to wonder whether you would show up in uniform.

1. Op posts about a 9mm Glock going full auto
2. LEO offers to come take a look-see...

;)

I was guessing trigger bar is damaged. And possibly striker is gunked up super bad with foul. Odd that it would fail in go mode though. I would have thought it would be more likely to fail in "not able to set" mode.

I'll help the shit out of any civilian

i agree with everyone to take it or send it to a professional, but for conversation, and since you did some work yourself already.

UNLOAD FIREARM;
to check for free striker channel, dryfire and continue to hold trigger, shake pistol, you should here the striker moving freely in channel, a "tink, tink" noise

you say you did new springs, check the position/ install of trigger spring,
when looking at the side of trigger housing with connector, trigger spring should look like an "S" when installed
it is very easy to install trigger spring wrong and have reset problems,

Back
Top Bottom