Need Help from someone with a Mauser 1914/34 pistol.

I am working on a 1914 Mauser Pistol in 32 ACP and am having trouble understanding what the problem is. If one of you have the same pistol and could check something for me I would appreciate it.

Here is what I need to know. The 1914 has a magazine safety. I need to know what happens when you try to fire the gun when cocked but no magazine in it. Does it make a clicking sound but the striker does not go forward or does nothing happen at all?

I cannot get the gun apart because I cannot release the striker. I am trying to determine if it is a magazine safety issue or something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The firing pin stays in the 'out' position when cocked and the magazine removed. It does not release without the magazine; there is a heavy odd click instead.

1. Rack the action with the magazine in
2. Remove the barrel
3. Remove the magazine half way and return. Keep your forefinger on the slide; the action will move forward and stop, exposing the rear of the firing pin.
4. Remove the magazine half way or completely and the slide will come off, leaving the firing pin in the cocked position.
5. With the magazine half in or out, return the slide all the way back, it will lock open.
6. Replace the barrel.
7. Insert the magazine in, and the action will close itself.

T

Thanks Majspud... that info has helped rule a few things out. The gun does not fire at all. The sound you describe with pulling the trigger with or without the magazine inserted or loaded or not loaded is all I get. I have followed yours and a half dozen other variations on the web to get the slide off and it is always the same. It is a real puzzle.

But this part is real important. 4. Remove the magazine half way or completely and the slide will come off, leaving the firing pin in the cocked position.

I was operating on the concept that the striker would be decocked. You are saying that the striker remains cocked when disassembled. Then there must be something else keeping the slide from coming off.

This is where I am getting stuck. It moves forward more than before for step 4 but then stops here
DSCF4482.JPGDSCF4490.JPG

I cannot get past this place. Something inside is hitting something else and being blocked. The only conclusion I can come to is that something is missing or broken inside that is keeping the gun from firing and from being disassembled.

It is a puzzle and I am going to take a break as I am flustered. This one has me really stumped. But at least, thanks to you, I now know what the striker does not have to be decocked to take the slide off. That means the two problems may not be related.. I think. :)

Push up on the magazine latch toggle - it should be way up by the firing pin like mine. Yours is too low, and the front of the latch is catching. Pull the slide back a little is its hard to move and under pressure.

T

Push up on the magazine latch toggle - it should be way up by the firing pin like mine. Yours is too low, and the front of the latch is catching. Pull the slide back a little is its hard to move and under pressure.

T

We are getting closer as to what the problem is. I cannot move that up anymore. Now I need to find out why. Thanks again....

My first pistol; spring of '09, $300. My carry piece until I got the M35 Beretta.

Keep wiggling it; it should go.

T

Last edited:
Bingo... that is it. The slide is off. I have to pull off the mag catch all the way out. Thanks Majspud... you helped me know what area I needed to look at. If you are ever in ME let me know.. I will buy you a beer.. or two.... :)
When I get if working and oiled up I will post some pics.

Good for you. Looks like an interwar import with 'Germany' on the side.

I'll have to take mine to the range again after my vision clears up.

T.

Be careful around it with the firing pin locked back. If it lets go, start looking 10-15 yards downrange...ask me how I know. Also it is very easy to bend the spring re-cocking it if you do that.

Last edited:
Thanks again Majspud. The reason it did not fire and the reason I could not get the slide off were the same problem. Some one before me did not put the magazine catch back in right. The spring end of it was behind the nub and not before it like it should be. Thanks to your help, I was able to focus on the magazine catch which is also the spring for the mag stop. It is together, c;leaned, oiled and working. I just test fired it into my wood pile and it works sweet. Also, now the slide stays locked after removing the mag like it is suppose to. Also the slide is released when I insert a magazine as well like it is suppose to. The only problem is the mag catch does not spring over the bottom plate of the mag too well. Either the spring is week or the previous owner messed with it and bent it trying to figure out how it worked.

I got it very cheap because it did not work. Glad I took the chance. It was fun. :) Thanks again for the help Majspud.

The serial # on mine is about twice as yours. But the business name has not changed on the slide yet. So... I think it is probably late 1920's but not after 1929. I will have to get it to the range and see how accurate it is. :)

DSCF4496.JPGDSCF4495.JPGDSCF4494.JPG

I've thought about it, but then I'd be opening Pandora's box with another caliber that I would have to get more examples of...

T

Back
Top Bottom