Need help finding a rifle

I just went into the local shop and was looking at a .22 Mag. I think it was either a Savage or a Stevens. It was an OK gun, maybe even a fine gun, but was well enough used. It had a 5 (or 7?) shot magazine and decent but not fancy wood stock. They were asking $249. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't new ones around the same price? Or maybe slightly more, around $300 tops?

New ones would have more modern sights or scope mounting options, plus a barrel that has not been used for 60-70 years. It may even hold more than 5 rounds. I also probably has a MUCH nicer trigger. Granted, the wood would either be cheap, or non-existent, with a plastic stock.

I'm just wondering if I'm off here, or they are. Maybe there is room for negotiation on the price. I haven't really looked too hard at anything yet, but can't imagine a 50 year old gun would hold that much value.

Maybe alot of room for negotiation. If gun dealers claim to make $20 or so on a new gun they should also make $20 or so on a used gun. If you can figure out what they paid for it.. maybe see what they would give you for a gun you'd trade in. Then offer a relative value of about $20 more than what the trade in would be. Its good profit for a gun dealer so they should be happy to take that amount.

Maybe alot of room for negotiation. If gun dealers claim to make $20 or so on a new gun they should also make $20 or so on a used gun. If you can figure out what they paid for it.. maybe see what they would give you for a gun you'd trade in. Then offer a relative value of about $20 more than what the trade in would be. Its good profit for a gun dealer so they should be happy to take that amount.

They're making much more than $20 on a used gun and 10-15% on new guns

They're making much more than $20 on a used gun and 10-15% on new guns

typical consignment fees are 15-18% on used guns and the person consigning sets the price. I don't think they're making anywhere NEAR 10% on new guns, probably more like 5.

typical consignment fees are 15-18% on used guns and the person consigning sets the price. I don't think they're making anywhere NEAR 10% on new guns, probably more like 5.

If you go to an ffl to sell or trade your gun they're going to offer 50-70% of what they can get for it. That's just how to run a business.

Before you buy any 22 mag, make sure you can actually find ammo and that you're willing to pay more than .223 for it. My dad loves to shoot his Marlin 22 mag, but when I can find ammo at all, I pay a fortune for it.

I see .22 Mag ammo at Walmart all the time, and this was actually one of the reasons I was considering it.

Looking for a .22 Mag. I want something simple and classic looking. Lever or bolt or single shot.

Should have some clean lines like these:
cz-usa-cz-452-scout.png

Ruger-9622.jpg
Ruger_96_22m_rimfire_rifle_350.jpg
wm_4604140.jpg

wm_2198063.jpg

The one I shot was an Anshutz ..Supposedly it was one of the best. Made me want to buy one, and this was back when ammo was cheap and I liked to shoot whatever was the funnest one because the cost of ammo wasn't a factor.

There are a bunch of different ones available IIRC, and some are collector items.

Win 94/22M
Henry
Marlin XT (very hard to find in 22WMR)
CZ 457 (best quality for the money)
Browning T-bolt
Anschutz (about $1400, top of the line)

I’m a fan of the CZ bolt action rimfires. I have a handful in 22mag and 22lr. Love the 22mag Varmint heavy barrel. Stupid accurate with 30gr vmax.

Last 22mag bolt action I bought was the Ruger American Rimfire with the threaded barrel for my suppressor. I put a Timney trigger in it and it’s awesome. It works great as a backyard varmint setup with a little more punch than 22lr but still quiet.

I have a Henry Goldenboy in 22mag as well. It’s good but the front brass beed is huge!

I can get a new Marlin or Savage bolt for $200-350. I know Henry's are great, but a bit pricey. That Henry pump is cool, but $950 I might rather pick up a new Marlin AND a Sig 365.

I'm looking for something older, classic lines, hardwood. I don't mind some wear, dings, and scrapes, as long as it is safe, reliable, and accurate. I prefer the rounded handgrip over the straight.

See the pictures I used as reference. Are there other sites and makes/models to look at?

Back
Top Bottom