Need Help finding a Gun Law in Mass

Ok,
So a few months ago I went and purchased a Gen 3 NIB Glock 22. I was told by the gun dealer that since I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic in the commonwealth and I have a Class A no restrictions I can purchase any LEO approved firearm and I can have post ban Hi-Cap mags(this is hypothetical, I'm not saying I have or don't have these illegal magazines.) He said that under the public safety law any EMT, Firefighter, Paramedic, Police officer is excempt and can go off the list LEO officers can. Now I have searched and searched and I can't find this amazing law. Does any of my brothers and sisters in the LEO and fire community know if this is a urban legend? I don't care about the magazine capacity I just want to know if I can get a brand spankin new Glock.
Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
so, so wrong. you are a felon by possessing those mags. of course this is all hypothetical, riiiiiiight?

you can own the gun, but you need mags manufactured before 9/13/94.

the dealer is so full of shit.

Ya I don't own the mags or anything like that. I want to purchase a Glock new. I can care less about the post ban mags i have a bunch of prebans anyway.
And this is hypothetical.

Purchasing the gun is %100 legal on your part, and it is legal for you to own it. It's on the dealer to sell or not sell that item.

As Atilla said, the mags are the issue. Stick with 10rd mags or use your prebans.

so, so wrong. you are a felon by possessing those mags. of course this is all hypothetical, riiiiiiight?

you can own the gun, but you need mags manufactured before 9/13/94.

the dealer is so full of shit.

150% correct. Especially the dealer being full of shit in this case.

He actually isnt full of shit....maybe half full. Its assachusetts so all bets are off, but under the Glock Blue Label program it is 100% legit for you to get a brand new glock at non-fr mass prices with your id (or letter from boss). Finding a dealer that participates, whole other story. The mag issue he is wrong about though as stated. Hell, they keep trying to tell us that we are supposed to change out our standard capacity mags for 10 rounders to carry our duty weapons home!!! Idiots...
As for the "public safety law"....never heard of it. The blue label program is from Glock directly, maybe he just got confused??

He actually isnt full of shit....maybe half full. Its assachusetts so all bets are off, but under the Glock Blue Label program it is 100% legit for you to get a brand new glock at non-fr mass prices with your id (or letter from boss). Finding a dealer that participates, whole other story. The mag issue he is wrong about though as stated. Hell, they keep trying to tell us that we are supposed to change out our standard capacity mags for 10 rounders to carry our duty weapons home!!! Idiots...
As for the "public safety law"....never heard of it. The blue label program is from Glock directly, maybe he just got confused??

he's a firefighter/paramedic. i didn't know they had duty weapons.

Glock (and I suspect some others) give all EMS/Police/Mil type people special pricing on "blue label" (or mfr equivalent) guns. Problem is that MGL was written to only give that privilege in Commiechusetts to LEOs, no other category. EOPS has further dictated that NO LEO can privately buy these guns . . . and some dealers have caved in, others may not have done so.

So a dealer reading the Glock factory program info and who is TOTALLY IGNORANT OF MGLS will spout BS like what the OP reported.

Yes like I said I don't care about the Magazines I just want to know if this guy was Full of shit.

Leaving the mag issue aside. You can buy the gun as an EMT. However, even if he was full of shit he would be the only person doing anything wrong by selling you the gun. It IS legal for you to buy and own the gun. The Ma regs only limit what a DEALER can SELL. So if he is willing to sell you the gun just go buy it knowing that YOU are in no way doing anything wrong. The question of whether or not he is correct is academic.

I don't believe that you will ever find "the law" that allows this. I believe it is just part of the list of exemptions to the regs. Since EMTs and Paramedics get licensed by the state I think it groups them in to the ".gov/state employee" exemption...

I don't believe that you will ever find "the law" that allows this. I believe it is just part of the list of exemptions to the regs. Since EMTs and Paramedics get licensed by the state I think it groups them in to the ".gov/state employee" exemption...

I doubt it. If this were true, then everyone who has a drivers license would be covered. Not to mention plumbers, barbers, electricians, as well as doctors and lawyers. Every licensed profession would be included.

Except paramedics and EMTs, because they are certified, not licensed. There is a significant difference between licensure and certification.

I wish that this was true, because then I could order a new S&W NYPD 3914 DAO and have it shipped to a dealer in MA.

Since EMTs and Paramedics get licensed by the state I think it groups them in to the ".gov/state employee" exemption...

Huh, where did you get that extension of logic?

Would that make car drivers, LTC-holders, plumbers, electricians, doctors, real estate agents, etc. all ".gov/state employees"?? BTW, there is NO exemption for ".gov/state employees" in any MA gun law.

Would that make car drivers, LTC-holders, plumbers, electricians, doctors, real estate agents, etc. all ".gov/state employees"?? BTW, there is NO exemption for ".gov/state employees" in any MA gun law.

Great minds think alike! ;)

no shit.

people, if you're going to post stuff--cite it.

no, paramedics and joe blow the shit rag man do not get exceptions and can't possess post-ban mags, nor can a dealer legally sell them off-list guns. if you have post-ban mags good for you, if you have an off-list gun that's also good for you. legally the mags could jam you up, and the sale of the gun could jam up the dealer so kindly keep your mouth shut about the (misinformed) dude who sold it to you as there's a current case where a dealer was arrested for selling off-list guns.

it's stupid as hell, but do you want to be responsible for landing someone else in prison because you think that your job somehow makes sales to you exempt from state law? dick move IMO!

no shit.

people, if you're going to post stuff--cite it.

no, paramedics and joe blow the shit rag man do not get exceptions and can't possess post-ban mags,<snip>

Ok and your ranting about mags in response, to a response about something I said? The first line in my post was "Leaving the mag issue aside" Nothing in my post had anything to do with mags.

As for those who cited the difference between licensing and certification, that is just semantics. If you knew what I meant then you knew what I meant.

Ok and your ranting about mags in response, to a response about something I said? The first line in my post was "Leaving the mag issue aside" Nothing in my post had anything to do with mags.

As for those who cited the difference between licensing and certification, that is just semantics. If you knew what I meant then you knew what I meant.

if my post was directed at you, you wouldn't be asking whether it was or not. the mag statement was thrown out there to beat it into the heads of anyone who already doesn't know somehow.

....BTW, there is NO exemption for ".gov/state employees" in any MA gun law.

Coincidentally I just happened to read this yesterday, granted it only pertains to transporting in a vehicle. MGL ch 140 s 131C (d):

(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) any officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth or any state or the United States; (ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States; (iii) any duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the commonwealth; provided, however, that any such person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to carry or possess the weapon so carried or possessed and is acting within the scope of his duties.

Saves them a few bucks if they get busted transporting incorrectly and an immediately revoked license, but I'm sure there are significantly more punitive sections elsewhere in MGL for doing this. Consistency throughout it not MGLs strong suit.

Last edited:
Boy, it's tough to separate out the good information from that bad here.

Glock may have a program geared towards public safety personnel, and others, (I've been offered a cut rate gun by Glock), but that gun still has to be transferred by a dealer who is subject to both the EOPSS list and the AG's regulations - such as they are. I don't care if you're an EMT-P, LEO, DEA, FBI or HLSSS, a MA dealer is still subject to the same restrictions as they would be transferring a firearm a schlub like me.

Just to add fuel to the fire, I'll throw out my opinion that since most or all 3gen Glocks are on the EOPSS list it is actually 'legal' for a dealer to transfer or sell them to residents. The rest is a pissing contest. We all know you can be charged with things that aren't actually illegal.

And just to repeat what others have said: If you can get the gun into your grubby little hands it's yours! The rest isn't your problem.

Back
Top Bottom