Need help deciding between two rifles

Get a second rifle over buying a stock. Nothing wrong with having a basic 10/22 in addition to a super killy assault 22lr.

What is the use case?
I currently own 2 ruger 10/22. My wife hasn't used hers in 6 years. My current thinking is for my daughter. She is 8 and im looking for a plinker we can both use. She is 100% attentive to the safety aspect but gets very frustrated truing to use iron sights or a scope. My thoughts is a plinker that i can collapse the stock to fit her better and put a red dot on it so she can gain some confidence using it. Of course i will be using it as well but i am less picky

If one of the options is you get to buy a new gun, that would be my choice :)

PLUS you can still get the stock later without another background check. ;). So if a scratch ticket comes across your desk, you get BOTH!

Or you could go for the GSG 22, this gun is so much fun to shoot View attachment 410477

giphy.gif

I've got a GSG. Mine is kind of. . . . plain. LOL

I currently own 2 ruger 10/22. My wife hasn't used hers in 6 years. My current thinking is for my daughter. She is 8 and im looking for a plinker we can both use. She is 100% attentive to the safety aspect but gets very frustrated truing to use iron sights or a scope. My thoughts is a plinker that i can collapse the stock to fit her better and put a red dot on it so she can gain some confidence using it. Of course i will be using it as well but i am less picky
depending on the age and size of your daughter
the SW might be a better fit?
Do you have a AR?
if so a nice 22lr upper like a tacsol and A RRA entry stock make for a nice little set up
Mine is set up for my daughter optics only for 100 yard plinking.
The 10/22 IMHO , does not fit anyone well especially kids. That said I have a Titan stock for my 10/22 and really like it. HEavy beast of a rifle but I built for prone shooting mostly

I am between the m&p 15-22 or converting my ruger 10/22 with the archangel stock. Any opinions?
Ruger 10/22 is excellent. Last May, I gave one to my daughter for her 8th birthday. Bought it in Alabama while visiting family. The Alabama gunsmith fitted it with a stainless fluted heavy barrel and a fixed 4X Leupold scope. Tack driving accuracy. She is very happy with it.

I know I'm against the grain, but I prefer a good bolt action 22 over the 10/22. I got my son a CZ 455 Scout when he was about that age. He still shoots it, even though it's too small for him.
And then I switched him to a dedicated 22 SBR.
This Christmas he's getting a CZ 457 Varmint in an XLR chassis.

If I had it all to do over, I would have gone with a full length barreled CZ/Tikka and put it in a chassis to adjust the LOP. That way he could have just kept the same rifle from youth to precision rimfire

Said no one... ever. Just kidding, I mean not really, but whatever floats your boat. I bet you prefer a manual tranny to an automatic too.

Well, actually yes. Except for in stop and go rush hour traffic

I know I'm against the grain, but I prefer a good bolt action 22
that is how i`ve learned to shoot, with my granddad teaching me at 7 yr old age - that really is a best approach, one shot at a time.

The 15-22 is a lot of fun! I've been very impressed with the reliability so far. Remington Goldens, love them or hate them, have gone off every time for the last 800 rounds or so. Having the ability to adjust the stock is a plus as well when it comes to younger shooters.

It's also a great way to introduce new shooters to the sport. Have them practice on the 15-22 for a while then move on up to the actual AR. Controls are all in the same place, and the sights may be the same as well.

I know I'm against the grain, but I prefer a good bolt action 22 over the 10/22. I got my son a CZ 455 Scout when he was about that age. He still shoots it, even though it's too small for him.
And then I switched him to a dedicated 22 SBR.
This Christmas he's getting a CZ 457 Varmint in an XLR chassis.

If I had it all to do over, I would have gone with a full length barreled CZ/Tikka and put it in a chassis to adjust the LOP. That way he could have just kept the same rifle from youth to precision rimfire
Well, in our home, it was a compromise. Little Jill wanted a 10/22 for her first rifle, but I did not want to hand a bullet hose to a 6 year old. We got her a Savage heavy-barreled bolt action instead. She honed her marksmanship skills over the course of two years, with the promise of a 10/22 as a reward for her hard work on the range and in school. She got the 10/22, custom fitted with a heavy stainless barrel, for her 8th birthday. She passed down the Savage bolt action rifle to her younger sister, 6 year old Lexi.

10/22 because they accept larger magazines than the M&P, and while pricey, there are pre-bans if you look...
(I think you've illuminated a blind spot of mine.
I'd rather just sell my house and move to a free state,
but verry interresting...).

I know I'm against the grain, but I prefer a good bolt action 22 over the 10/22.
For Day One of a yout's intro to gunz, that's reputed to be the way to go.
But depending on circumstances, the bolt action might get real old real fast.
I wouldn't blame someone for skipping that step if they don't have the budget.

BTW, I find it an interesting pair of actions to compare.

I might actually have bought a 15-22 by now,
but the persistent stories of accidental discharges that were last seen
disqualifying them for Appleseed made me decide I didn't need one
that much in the short term.

And on the other hand, while The Bride likes the 10/22 best,
she can never get the hang of working the studip 10/22 bolt lock.

(For a piece of stamped steel, its function seems really unruly.
Imagine if the FP-45 Liberator worked like that -
not one Nazi would have had a cap busted on them
by a member of the Underground).

I'm sure a little kid can pick up the 10/22 manual of arms in no time.
There's a reason it's such a popular rifle.
We'll have to work on The Bride...

Back
Top Bottom