• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help choosing first radio

flippedr6

NES Member
I'm getting ready to go for my license soon and have it narrowed down to two mobile radios. The Icom id-5100a or the Kenwood tm-d710ga. I know I don't need that nice of a radio to start but I'd rather have a radio I can grow into. The pay once cry once way of thinking. I'm not to sure if arps or dstar would be better in Mass.

Last edited:
Why not study for the general and then think about a radio. Once you have your general, ham radio will be open to the world for you.

Why not study for the general and then think about a radio. Once you have your general, ham radio will be open to the world for you.

It's my understanding that the antennas for HF don't tolerate short garages, short bridges, etc. so a UHF/VHF rig for a car is probably most practical whereas HF for the shack makes sense.

I bought ID-5100As for my cars and they are quite complex rigs that take a lot of real estate in most of today's cars, posing a real challenge to mount the faceplate.

I have a Toyota Tundra so space isn't an issue. How do you like the 5100 and is there much activity dstar wise? Also you are on the right track I want to keep it vhf/uhf dual band because of a really bad hand injury I'm at MGH multiple times a week. So mounting/dismounting an antenna to park in there garage would suck.

Also HF will come in time but I don't want to tackle to much at once. I figure one of those two radios will keep me busy for a long time.

It's my understanding that the antennas for HF don't tolerate short garages, short bridges, etc. so a UHF/VHF rig for a car is probably most practical whereas HF for the shack makes sense.

I bought ID-5100As for my cars and they are quite complex rigs that take a lot of real estate in most of today's cars, posing a real challenge to mount the faceplate.

Last edited:
I became licensed (General) in April but have yet to transmit.

Listening, there is a guy in Scotland (thick accent) that frequents locals on the Westford D-Star repeater, I've also picked up a handful of North Shore folks on D-Star. I can easily pick up FM from 30-50 miles away, 2-way conversations on various repeaters with no issues.

I have the Kenwood radio. Very nice rig. I use it for base station work, so I can't really speak to how it works in the car. The one thing i love about that radio is the dual tuners and the really wide reception range. It will receive the aviation band, 136-174, 220 band, 320MHz range, 420-512MHz, the 900MHz band and the 1.2GHz band. It can transmit on 2m and 440. So, I run the left tuner for my 2m stuff and then I use the right as a Police/Fire/EMS scanner at the same time. Works great.

Good luck on either radio and good luck on the test.

APRS and D-Star are apples / oranges. Both are cool, though. Perhaps you are thinking about DMR vs D-Star? This is a "holy war" type of question and would suggest spending a bit of time researching each, look at which repeaters are in your general area, and then asking for the forum opinions. From a handheld perspect, the Kenwood D-74A has both APRS and D-Star. Not certain which mobilr rigs have both APRS+D-star or APRS+DMR, etc built in...

This.

While in the 'ham-technical-learning' mode- go for Amateur Extra without the distraction of a radio yet..... If you can... then get the decent dual bander in your truck as the reward...

But, to maintain the thread's subject I contribute this answer; I have a Yaesu 7900 in the truck and it works. DMR is very cool and interesting but no experience with Dstar except decoding Dstar text with a DVB-T dongle and software.......

One radio I am looking at has dstar one has aprs. I guess I was just wondering which would serve me better around where I am. I know about dmr I just haven't noticed any mobile radios from the big three that do it.

APRS and D-Star are apples / oranges. Both are cool, though. Perhaps you are thinking about DMR vs D-Star? This is a "holy war" type of question and would suggest spending a bit of time researching each, look at which repeaters are in your general area, and then asking for the forum opinions. From a handheld perspect, the Kenwood D-74A has both APRS and D-Star. Not certain which mobilr rigs have both APRS+D-star or APRS+DMR, etc built in...

I am studying my butt off believe me. I am out of work due to a work injury, I have all the time in the world. Thank you for the input on the 7900.

This.

While in the 'ham-technical-learning' mode- go for Amateur Extra without the distraction of a radio yet..... If you can... then get the decent dual bander in your truck as the reward...

But, to maintain the thread's subject I contribute this answer; I have a Yaesu 7900 in the truck and it works. DMR is very cool and interesting but no experience with Dstar except decoding Dstar text with a DVB-T dongle and software.......

Well after a lot of reading and watching videos I left HRO today with a Kenwood TM-D710GA.
Congrats on the new radio. I am afraid to visit the store, I would come home with maxed out credit card bills and still no idea of where I want to go in this hobby! So much to learn, just when I start to feel comfortable with a radio choice, I get other thoughts. I think a visit to a local radio club will help narrow my choices down based on what is happening/popular locally.

Congrats on the new radio. I am afraid to visit the store, I would come home with maxed out credit card bills and still no idea of where I want to go in this hobby! So much to learn, just when I start to feel comfortable with a radio choice, I get other thoughts. I think a visit to a local radio club will help narrow my choices down based on what is happening/popular locally.

I was like that as well, when I went there today I had it narrowed down to two radios. I spent time playing with the radios on display that's how I choose the Kenwood.

Congrats on the new radio. Been looking and reading up on all the options out there. I have only changed my mind a dozen or so times on which radio I want to start out with. I am leaning towards the Yaesu FT-857D with HF and 2 meter. Hope to have all in place by the end of October to get up and running.

Congrats on the new radio. Been looking and reading up on all the options out there. I have only changed my mind a dozen or so times on which radio I want to start out with. I am leaning towards the Yaesu FT-857D with HF and 2 meter. Hope to have all in place by the end of October to get up and running.

That's one heck of a first rig!!! I hope your time frame works out.

FT-857D was my first and still my only HF rig. I move it between the car and shack desk that has a 20A, 12V supply for it. I think the filters and audio quality aren't as good as some of the big rigs, but for a does-all, compromise rig it's a great rig in a small package.

Back
Top Bottom