• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

need help choosing first handgun

In 5-8 weeks I will be looking to purchase my first handgun. I would like something in a 9mm semi-auto. I don't know much about different brands and models I know I want something that's simple to use and maintain, and around $500. So if anybody has any insight to a good first gun I am all ears. thanks for the help - Business

Wrong forum, but for around that price you can get a very nice S&W M&P9. Do you want to shoot competition, have the gun for home defense or carry? That will make a difference what you get, too. If you can spend more ($200 or so more), there's nothing easier than maintenance on a Sig. They break down easy and are very easy to clean.

Good luck!

This isn't the right section to post this. You may want to put this over in the General Section or use the search option and search for something like your title and I'm sure you'll find a ton of info then. This post will be deleted or moved by the moderators soon. Welcome to NES.

thanks i am brand new to nes what forum should i have used i am havin a hard time figuring this out on this site. i am looking to carry it as well as home protection i have held a s&w m&p the other day at a store liked the size and weight but thats all i knew about it. thanks for the info

Take a look at the Walther P99 because it has interchangeable backstraps (back part of the grip). The grip is the interface between you and the firearm, and it is extremely important that it fits your hand well. And the grip will also affect your reach to the trigger, so don't settle for a gun that doesn't fit you well.

I started with a S&W M&P 9mm full size. I can not compare it to much but I can tell you that I use it primarily for concealed carry and I am very happy with it. It comes with 3 different back straps for different size hands and 2 free magazines for just under $500 (mine was $489). I got the trigger worked to give it a smoother, lighter, and more positive feel. It is a bit large for a carry gun but I feel it's size is a good trade off for the comfort in my hand. Being my first pistol, I did not want to go with a tiny compact that was too small for my hand as I thought I might develop bad habits. I went for comfort in my hand first and conceal ability second. Once my technique is solid, I will start shopping for a compact carry gun.

Hope that helps.

I started with a S&W M&P 9mm full size. I can not compare it to much but I can tell you that I use it primarily for concealed carry and I am very happy with it. It comes with 3 different back straps for different size hands and 2 free magazines for just under $500 (mine was $489). I got the trigger worked to give it a smoother, lighter, and more positive feel. It is a bit large for a carry gun but I feel it's size is a good trade off for the comfort in my hand. Being my first pistol, I did not want to go with a tiny compact that was too small for my hand as I thought I might develop bad habits. I went for comfort in my hand first and conceal ability second. Once my technique is solid, I will start shopping for a compact carry gun.

Hope that helps.

+1, except I went for the S&W 9c (compact version) because it actually felt comfortable enough to me, even for the size, and seemed to allow me more carry options. If I were to do it again I may have gone for the S&W .40 however, as I believe they offer interchangeable barrels to switch between the .40 & 9 but not the other way around. Either way, I'm more than happy so far with my choice and feel it was a great deal (paid around same as MXD)

All depends on what you wish to do with it. If its your first gun you can probably get a used M&P off the forums for a little over $300, take the $200 from your 'limit' and buy a .22LR pistol to train with since constantly shooting 9mm is expensive and hard to get a hold of (if you don't reload).

If you just want a 9mm I'd go with either the M&P9, M&P 9c or a Glock 17/19.

Last edited:
I would suggest taking a ride to S&W in Springfield http://shootingsports.smith-wesson.com. They have a rental for around $25 you can rent a gun to shoot get ammo and targets and all the time you want on the range. Try a few guns see what fits your hands and fells better in your hands.

Myself I have trouble shooting small guns because of my bear paws so I tend to stay with larger guns. You can't beat going there and holding the different guns.

It comes down to what you are buying it for also, if it is going to be something you are useing at home for protection and are not going to be shooting it much you may want to consider a revolver over a pistol. Revolvers are easyer for someone with little training and in that stress time to use over a pistol.

You could even take a ride up to Sig in NH, they have a gun range also so you can try out some of there guns there.

Or take a ride to one of the club type shooting ranges. I don't no of any in the western part of the state here but there are some out in the eastern part where you mite be able to go to and get some rental time. Anyone else able to help here that's from the east as far as a (private/club) range?

Good Luck and Welcome to shooting.

Take a look at the Walther P99 because it has interchangeable backstraps (back part of the grip). The grip is the interface between you and the firearm, and it is extremely important that it fits your hand well. And the grip will also affect your reach to the trigger, so don't settle for a gun that doesn't fit you well.

Aye great gun. But get the QA (quick action) model if you go with the walther. the trigger on the AS model sucks. Also the S&W 99 is basically the exact same gun as the walther p99 but can be purchased for about $150 less than the walther about $450 used. in fact carr's sporting goods in taunton ma has one for $450 or did a few weeks ago.

thanks i am brand new to nes what forum should i have used i am havin a hard time figuring this out on this site. i am looking to carry it as well as home protection i have held a s&w m&p the other day at a store liked the size and weight but thats all i knew about it. thanks for the info

[laugh] Welcome to the forum. If you want to last (which you should as there is a lot of valuable information here), I suggest that you start by researching the use of the period in helping to define and structure a sentence. When you have that, people will allow you to move on to handgun selection. [wink]

It's a tough crowd some days...

You might want to check out the Beretta 92FS, a new one might be a little out of your price range(I bought mine used for $450), but it is still a great gun.

You might want to check out the Beretta 92FS, a new one might be a little out of your price range(I bought mine used for $450), but it is still a great gun.

I second this vote, the trigger will be 10x better out of the box than an M&P and the 92 is about as easy a gun to breakdown and clean as you will ever see. Pre-ban 15-round mags are also available and easy enough to find

But obviously I am a fan. [smile]

I know you said you want an auto, but if you're new to guns you should really consider a revolver. For $500 you can find a nice used Smith and have enough left over for a holster, some ammo and a few other accessories.
A J-Frame Smith is concealable, accurate, rugged and ultra-reliable. It's easy to shoot well and almost idiot proof. Non of which can be said about a semi-auto.
For what it's worth..........

I would suggest taking a ride to S&W in Springfield http://shootingsports.smith-wesson.com. They have a rental for around $25 you can rent a gun to shoot get ammo and targets and all the time you want on the range. Try a few guns see what fits your hands and fells better in your hands.

Myself I have trouble shooting small guns because of my bear paws so I tend to stay with larger guns. You can't beat going there and holding the different guns.

It comes down to what you are buying it for also, if it is going to be something you are useing at home for protection and are not going to be shooting it much you may want to consider a revolver over a pistol. Revolvers are easyer for someone with little training and in that stress time to use over a pistol.

You could even take a ride up to Sig in NH, they have a gun range also so you can try out some of there guns there.

Or take a ride to one of the club type shooting ranges. I don't no of any in the western part of the state here but there are some out in the eastern part where you mite be able to go to and get some rental time. Anyone else able to help here that's from the east as far as a (private/club) range?

Good Luck and Welcome to shooting.

+1

This is very good advice right here. You will never know what pistol is right for you by asking others. Certainly you can gather information on reliability, what ammo works best with a certain pistol, how to maintain, clean etc, by talking to others with more experience. But when it comes down to it, you need to fire a variety of pistols you are considering before making the final decision. I would also look into the Beretta 92fs as this is one of my all time favorite pistols and I think many would agree with me. Its certainly worth checking out as well.

Bottom line, you'll know what to get when you find that piece that just feels like an extension of your arm. Best of Luck!

american firearms school in N. addelboro also rents guns.

I would say hit a rental range and try a few out and figure out what you like.

you'll kick yourself for buying a gun that you hate to shoot.

Check out the Beretta 92FS. It's a lovely, simple semi-auto in 9mm, wicked accurate, and a ball to shoot. It does run slightly higher than you specified, ($550-$600new) but it's a wonderful gun.

The Sig P226 and P229 are also really great guns, but run significantly over your price range (used $650-800, new $800-$1100).

Last edited:
First gun

No matter what you end up getting, you will inevitably end up buying another one so don't sweat it so much. I took a lot of common advice and got a .22 Sig Mosquito (for it's full size feel) and also bought a .380 Cheetah by Beretta to carry. I shoot the snot out of the .22 cuz it's cheap and great at training your habits out. I shoot the higher cal. on a more limited basis - just as frequently but fewer rounds for $-reasons.

Over time I found there were things I did and didn't like about the .380 that can only come from shooting it OVER TIME and carrying it OVER TIME. Shooting and carrying is a lifestyle change...and no matter how much you prepare everyone is different and you will end up in a completely different place a year after owning a gun. You will have experience to make choices you couldn't possibly make based on advice or without first hand experience.

My advice only comes from my experience. Get a good .22 and a simple 9mm like a S&W M&P, Sigma SW9VE, or even a Walther PPS (very small and great for carry). Glock is awesome too but pricey. BTW when I say simple...I mean a clean slide/frame without a lot of buttons and levers like Beretta's and such.

Good luck and have fun with it! No matter what you get, you will be shooting and that is all that matters. [wink]

If you decide to go with a Glock or Beretta, you have the option of getting a .22 conversion kit. You can also get a conversion kit for a Sig but Sigs are a bit more expensive than the other two.

i started out with a M&P9 for my first pistol and loved it, but with the weather warming up, i wanted something that took a bit less effort to conceal and ended up trading it for a smaller glock. i vote you take a look at a glock 19

Check out the Beretta 92FS. It's a lovely, simple semi-auto in 9mm, wicked accurate, and a ball to shoot. It does run slightly higher than you specified, ($550-$600new) but it's a wonderful gun.

The Sig P26 and P229 are also really great guns, but run significantly over your price range (used $650-800, new $800-$1100).

Totally agree. Just wanted to add that this gun has been manufactured in such high numbers for so long, that the availability of used 92's in most shops are very good, and you can usually get a really good deal if you shop it a bit.

I would recommend looking at the Walther PPS or the S&W M&P compacts (either .40 or 9mm). I have shot both, and like both, the M&P felt better in my hand, was a bit bigger, and the interchangeable backstraps are key - I use the medium and my girlfriend uses the small, so she enjoys shooting it at the range as well. I also like the M&P because it has 10 round mags, as opposed to the PPS at 7 round magazines. The only thing with the M&P though, which you can get used from 350-450s, new for just slightly more, you want to get a trigger job (60 - 100$) because the 10lb+ trigger pull is just ridiculous. (I'm not sure, this may be the same for the ma compliant PPS, I shot a 'free state' .40 PPS owned by LEO).

Back
Top Bottom