• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NEED HELP AND INFO ON TRANSFER FROM NH TO MA

Be Corbs

NES Member
My wifes grandfather is 98 he lives in NH and his mental health is deteriorating. Pretty much not capable of taking care of himself or making good decisions. My mother in law and her brother have asked me to take possession of his guns. He only has 2 a M1 carbine and a browning pistol. What do I have to do to transfer them from him to me without him getting involved because he won’t allow that to happen. My wife’s uncle is the power of attorney but lives in Arkansas and doesn’t want to go through the trouble of bringing them back there. Oh and the kicker is he obtained these guns a very long time ago when they didn’t have to be registered in the state of NH probably the 40’s or 50’s, so no paper work. any accurate information or point me in the right direction to talk to someone is appreciated. Thank you.

1) you can take possession to store them, or use for sporting purposes.

2) The long gun you could transfer at a FFL in NH with Mom in Law claiming ownership.... trust me keep your mouth shut and just do it. You can then bring that back to MA in your car and do a electronic recording of the purchase.

3) The pistol will have to go FFL to FFL in theory. Run it by your local MA FFL to see if they will take the transfer, then bring it and MIL to a NH FFL willing to do the transfer.

OR

4) take them for safe keeping but do not claim ownership, which is legal under Federal Law, and once he leaves us for the big shooting range in the sky have M.I.L. transfer them to you at a FFL in NH. The long gun can go home with you , the pistol will have to go FFL NH to FFL in MA, unless you are named in the will as the recipient of them, then it is a different story

2) The long gun you could transfer at a FFL in NH with Mom in Law claiming ownership.... trust me keep your mouth shut and just do it. You can then bring that back to MA in your car and do a electronic recording of the purchase.

3) The pistol will have to go FFL to FFL in theory. Run it by your local MA FFL to see if they will take the transfer, then bring it and MIL to a NH FFL willing to do the transfer.

OR

4) take them for safe keeping but do not claim ownership, which is legal under Federal Law, and once he leaves us for the big shooting range in the sky have M.I.L. transfer them to you at a FFL in NH. The long gun can go home with you , the pistol will have to go FFL NH to FFL in MA, unless you are named in the will as the recipient of them, then it is a different story
This is good advice.

Only adding ... some FFL are scum and will try to charge you "sales tax" on the transfer. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT pay any taxes on the transfer. The few stores that try to pull this on people are f***ing scum.

One more time ... DO NOT, EVER, pay sales tax on a transfer in MA.

Last edited:
This is good advice.

Only adding ... some FFL are scum and will try to charge you "sales tax" on the transfer. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT pay any taxes on the transfer. The few stores thet try to pull this on people are f***ing scum.

One more time ... DO NOT, EVER, pay sales tax on a transfer in MA.

I’ve done transfers at a lot of FFL’s in MA without sales tax. One place near Woburn always charges me tax on consignment guns. They say it’s because they have logged it into inventory before disposition but that’s how every transfer is supposed to work, so I thought? Am I missing something? Thanks.

And for the OP- “Moms the word”
Ask forgiveness not permission. But don’t break the law however you perceive it. “Intent” works for Hillary and “Interpretation” works for Maura.

I’ve done transfers at a lot of FFL’s in MA without sales tax. One place near Woburn always charges me tax on consignment guns. They say it’s because they have logged it into inventory before disposition but that’s how every transfer is supposed to work, so I thought? Am I missing something? Thanks.

And for the OP- “Moms the word”
Ask forgiveness not permission. But don’t break the law however you perceive it. “Intent” works for Hillary and “Interpretation” works for Maura.
I dont know how consignment works. I never bought a gun that way. I would assume it works like a transfer, since that is what they are doing.

Maybe someone else can answer that part.

Last edited:
What about a bill of sale written and typed by the power of attorney, which is my wife’s uncle. Will that be the first step in the process of gaining ownership of the guns. And then bring to ffl to have transferred to be in ma?

Oh and if I misspoke about the nh not having a registry I apologize. I’m not to familiar with NH laws. I was just told there is no paperwork and he got the guns when they didn’t have to be registered or there was no registry. If this doesn’t sound right sorry. Remember he’s 98 and he was a USMC Marine Raider in the South Pacific. Hence why he has an M1 carbine.

OR

Thank you for the advice very informative. I just had a question regarding number 2. Mother in law lives in MA, can she still claim ownership for her fathers gun who lives in nh?

OK I assumed MIL lived in NH, so that wipes out just about everything I have said so far.

For the moment you can keep the guns for safe keeping, and can only use them for legitimate sporting purposes. Do not claim ownership.

We will deal with the legalities of transfer later, and it may be easier to wait until he passes to do so

Can you go up there , clean the guns up all nice and find a spot to store them for the time being?
After dealing with 2 family estates with out any will or plan for the estate it was a CF. Get your name tagged to those items so you inherit them.
IIRC it will make things easier for you especially on the pistol transfer.

Back
Top Bottom