Need gunsmith for Browning 78 Falling Block

Hi All,

Ive already asked a few who I deem to be competent gunsmiths and none of them could re-install the firing pin in my Browning 78 Falling Block. Any suggestions out there? I’m not opposed to shipping the gun out of state. Thanks

Is it not just held in with a pin/screw?
Is the pin/screw fubar?

Last edited:
Correct Mac 1911. They were removed by previous owner. I heard it a can of worms to drop the action.
I think for a “rolling block” design its a bit over engineered but other than stripped and or rust frozen parts they are not terrible.
Im a mechanic and have always liked to tear into things so I have a different view.
Maybe post some pics of your problems?

I think for a “rolling block” design its a bit over engineered but other than stripped and or rust frozen parts they are not terrible.
Im a mechanic and have always liked to tear into things so I have a different view.
Maybe post some pics of your problems?

I think its worth pointing out that a Browning 1878 was actually built by JMB and his brothers in their Ogden gun shop and would've been hand-fitted together. There's an estimated 100 of the guns still around. Definitely not something I'd try to work on at home, especially if local gunsmiths are outright refusing to touch it.

Hi All,

Ive already asked a few who I deem to be competent gunsmiths and none of them could re-install the firing pin in my Browning 78 Falling Block. Any suggestions out there? I’m not opposed to shipping the gun out of state. Thanks
So I have to ask is this a original model 78 or is it the newer reintroduction B78 that is really a 1885 inside?
Alot of these lever guns can be tricky to get together ,
I have been searching all over for at least a good diagram of the model 78. Appears to be a field service manual available but I have not found a source yet
If its a B78 its a 1885 inside, few less parts but still a pita sometimes. You just need 3 hands and some thumbs where your pinky is!

Last edited:
Yup Mac, That’s why I’m gonna surrender to someone with ginger fingers. I’ve had bad experiences with my stubbornness. Thanks for all your help

Yup Mac, That’s why I’m gonna surrender to someone with ginger fingers. I’ve had bad experiences with my stubbornness. Thanks for all your help
Is this a original 78 or the reproduction.
Did someone take it completely appart?
Or do you just need a firing pin.

As far as I know, it was mfg in early 80’s. In my estimation, the previous owner took it to the local hack shop and said make it inoperable but save the pieces.

As far as I know, it was mfg in early 80’s. In my estimation, the previous owner took it to the local hack shop and said make it inoperable but save the pieces.
Ok so Im pretty sure its the 1885 guts inside. Which is good it has less parts.
The problem with gun smiths taking on boxOparts guns is they can waste time with a might work vs doing work they can get out easily and make money.

i would start with a parts diagram and make sure all the parts are there.
Im not a smith but i would buy it from to get it back together.

PS make sure they did not plug the barrel.

Rust Blue Gunsmithing in Natick. He's a damn good machinist if need be and does a fantastic job with restorations. Had a 1906 Win 1894 in .38-55 that had a number of boogered up and or seized screws that needed to be very carefully extracted. He did a fantastic job.

I'd trust him with any of my heirloom firearms.

Back
Top Bottom