• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need fallacies!

If you want to get real controversial you can talk about the new town incident. Like how Adam lanza was the solo shooter, fallacy :).

But better ideas..

1. Background checks will prevent criminals from getting guns. Fallacy
2. A new AWB would prevent gun violence, fallacy
3. North Korea is going to nuke the United states, fallacy
4. Obama is a non-muslim,native born american. Fallacy :)
5. The FSA rebels are the "good guys". Fallacy
6. Pistorius didn't mean to kill his GF. Fallacy

Need more?

I haven't read whole thread, but has anyone posted the 'if you want evil assault weapons, you must want nukes, which is insane, therefore you should not have evil assault weapons'?

That one drives me nuts.

Awesome Finaly...

PT stop trolling, seriously. Like we'd give out full-auto info on a public forum. [rofl]

Here we go... SHOW ME THE POST THAT SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT FULL AUTO. You guys are wayyy worse then liberals who post bad info. Guy 1 "rah u said FA"! Guy 2"OMG U said FA!! did you hear that?? He said FA!!". Guy 3 reads guy 2 and 1 "ahh he said FA". Meanwhile, I NEVER said anything EVER about FA anything. In fact, I talked about the M4. Hey boys, it aint full auto.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't read whole thread, but has anyone posted the 'if you want evil assault weapons, you must want nukes, which is insane, therefore you should not have evil assault weapons'?

That one drives me nuts.

Nope, no one is going there (including myself). It was about the title, the name AW.

A few more:

1. The Constitution is a "living document" (if it was "living" and subject to reinterp why include an amendment clause?)
2 The AK is better than the AR :)
3. Everyone needs to go to college (Does one really need a degree to manage a Walmart, people did it for years without them)

A few more:

1. The Constitution is a "living document" (if it was "living" and subject to reinterp why include an amendment clause?)
2 The AK is better than the AR :)
3. Everyone needs to go to college (Does one really need a degree to manage a Walmart, people did it for years without them)

I would love to do this one, considering its a college class and it's helping me get a useless degree [rofl] good call!

Well said, it's a hunting rifle. What do you think an AW is? Difference is the AR is for hunting deer (although illegal to use in mant states, lol) and the AW is for hunting humans. So is the day one gets turned on a human (not often thank god) not in war, does it then become an AW?

Does an unmodified Galaxy 500 become a race car when it is driven on the track at Charlotte?

No.

And you are presupposing that it is somehow unseemly for civilians to own "assault weapons". As you undoubtedly know, the Supreme Court has repeatedly SUPPORTED the individual right to keep and bear those same arms that the military uses. IMO (and no, I am NOT a sitting judge on SCOTUS) that simple fact invalidates the acts of '34, '68 and '86 along with every other piece of legislation ever passed that limits in any way civilian gun ownership.

Show me the crime wave that justifies passing laws that "prevent" people from committing "other" crimes.

Are you aware that it is already illegal to walk into a school and shoot a bunch of people? Do you believe that designating schools as "gun free zones" has saved any lives?

What is the benefit to society to bar someone that has never committed a crime from owning a firearm regardless of it's design, given the statistical certainty that he won't go out on a killing rampage?

Does an unmodified Galaxy 500 become a race car when it is driven on the track at Charlotte?

No.

And you are presupposing that it is somehow unseemly for civilians to own "assault weapons". As you undoubtedly know, the Supreme Court has repeatedly SUPPORTED the individual right to keep and bear those same arms that the military uses. IMO (and no, I am NOT a sitting judge on SCOTUS) that simple fact invalidates the acts of '34, '68 and '86 along with every other piece of legislation ever passed that limits in any way civilian gun ownership.

Show me the crime wave that justifies passing laws that "prevent" people from committing "other" crimes.

Are you aware that it is already illegal to walk into a school and shoot a bunch of people? Do you believe that designating schools as "gun free zones" has saved any lives?

What is the benefit to society to bar someone that has never committed a crime from owning a firearm regardless of it's design, given the statistical certainty that he won't go out on a killing rampage?

wow wow wow, hold on, please. I NEVER weighed in on IF GUYS SHOULD OWN THEM. ALL I was referring to was the nomenclature. The title. The name. That's it. So please, trying nicely, don't assume what I do or don't think about anything.

[/B]

I would love to do this one, considering its a college class and it's helping me get a useless degree [rofl] good call!

It would tick people off. There are plenty of articles out there about the education bubble about to burst and how people spend 60k or more on a liberal arts degree only to make 30k a year. Cost to benefit analysis is not there. I say do it! Use an BHO quote about how all kids should go to college.

PT, you caught the part where I said the military commissioned a military version of the civilian hunting rifle known as the AR-15, right? Shocker that some parts (NOT all) are interchangeable. It's almost like one was modeled after the other.

The M-16 is an assault weapon. The M4 is. The AR-15 is not and never was. It was meant for hunting varmints like 'yotes.
Nope, this too is a fallacy.

1. It _could_ be called an "assault rifle" based on the German Sturmgewehr ("storm rifle").
2. In actuality, it is a rifle capable of full-auto fire which the DHS deems to be suitable for PERSONAL DEFENSE.

It is a tool like any other. Whether it is used for "assault" or "defense" is up to the meatbag holding it.

Only governments and criminals "assault". I "defend".

Primus, he is correct, that it requires a pivot pin hole for the auto-sear, a different selector and a different trigger. Some guns require less different parts functionally (open bolt MGs), so the ATF has required alterations to the semi version to make it harder to convert.

MG fear is yet more hysterical nonsense from the 30's over crime stats that never existed.

Joe Biden's double barrel has committed far more crime and killed more people in this country than full auto fire, legal or not.

Last edited:
Fallacy: The Supreme Court decides whether a law is Constitutional.

- - - Updated - - -

Fallacy: Slaves were only counted as 3/5ths of a "person" because The Founders were racist.

- - - Updated - - -

Fallacy: The Revolutionary War was fought over taxes.

Nope, this too is a fallacy.

1. It _could_ be called an "assault rifle" based on the German Sturmgewehr ("storm rifle").
2. In actuality, it is a rifle capable of full-auto fire which the DHS deems to be suitable for PERSONAL DEFENSE.

It is a tool like any other. Whether it is used for "assault" or "defense" is up to the meatbag holding it.

Only governments and criminals "assault". I "defend".

Primus, he is correct, that it requires a pivot pin hole for the auto-sear, a different selector and a different trigger. Some guns require less different parts functionally (open bolt MGs), so the ATF has required alterations to the semi version to make it harder to convert.

MG fear is yet more hysterical nonsense from the 30's over crime stats that never existed.

Joe Biden's double barrel has committed far more crime and killed more people in this country than full auto fire, legal or not.

Thank you for the explanation of the pivot pin hole, didn'tknow that and I appreciate the info. But again, I wasn't talking about full auto versus semi. I was just sayin that the M4, three round burst not full auto, is similar in every way but that switch. Someone else threw the FA thing in there. I'M NOT talking about A1s or A3s.

Past my bedtime, but carry on without me!

Cekim, point taken and thanks for the scope/clarification.

PT, worrying about the nomenclature is as useful as arguing how many angels can dance on a pin. Call them Bunny Slappers. Call them Baby Killing Machine Guns. Doesn't matter. We have a natural right that is protected by the Constitution to keep and bear them.

It is right and proper that a man be able to (if he so chooses) defend himself, his family and his country with these tools.

I'm sure you've picked through various google searches and wikipedia pages.

I think many of the examples made here are more contradictions, paradoxes, or false oxymorons (this last one is very common, but doesn't seem to have a real name).

This is actually one of my favorite resources for attacking bad arguments:
List of fallacies

So here's a few (I'm sure with lots of errors on my part):
Appeal to probability - "you'll shoot your eye out", "you're more likely to shoot a family member than an intruder"
Ad hominem - (a personal attack) - "Linsky cheated on his taxes, so he's wrong on gun control"
Argument from fallacy (fallacy in argument does not mean the conclusion is false) - Person A: "Linsky cheated on his taxes, which so he's wrong on gun control", Person B: "That's an ad hominem fallacy, therefore that proves Linsky is right on gun control".
frenchman brought up a french version of No true scottsman
Appeal to ignorance - "nobody has proven why they need an AR15 / 30 round magazine", "there's no evidence of voter fraud"
Appeal to the people - "most people want gun control", "92% of NRA members want background checks"
Begging the question - (A implies A, circular reasoning) "guns kill people, so people die from guns"
Appeal to emotion - "we need gun control, think of the children"
-->Wishful thinking - "Gun control will prevent spree killers"
-->Appeal to fear - "your child could be killed at school, we need gun control"
-->Appeal to ridicule - "look at all those crazy gun nuts, they're f***n crazy, we need gun control"
-->Appeal to pity - "look at these sobbing parents who just lost their children, we need gun control"
Appeal to motive - "The NRA sold guns to all the criminals, and now they want to sell guns to us. It's a hell of a business plan!"
Genetic fallacy - (unjust origin fallacy) - "2A rights have racist roots"
Judgemental language - only an a**h*** wouldn't think of the children, we need gun control! Gun nuts!
Straw man - A: Background checks! B: No, I'm against them. A: You want children to die?

This one has a good name:
Texas sharpshooter fallacy - eg. sampling murder rates only in urban areas and calling it an epidemic

Two wrongs make a right - Children are dead, so we're going to trample on your rights

Thank you for the explanation of the pivot pin hole, didn'tknow that and I appreciate the info. But again, I wasn't talking about full auto versus semi. I was just sayin that the M4, three round burst not full auto, is similar in every way but that switch. Someone else threw the FA thing in there. I'M NOT talking about A1s or A3s.
As far as the ATF is concerned > 1 is "full auto", so burst/full does not matter. The burst trigger has more parts and a different disconnect (additional disconnect). It has more parts to make that magic work, but starts with the additional parts that full-auto has and then adds the clock-works of the burst.

PT, reading your posts is slowly giving me cancer.

ThisThreadGaveMeCancer.jpg

I hope he never gets banned. Hearing his outrageous theories on the 2nd amendment and general ignorance of firearm law just make my day, all day every day. Also a HUGE fan of the snarky, misspelled quips he includes in his neg reps. Please note that this post is entirely non-sarcastic. [smile]

View attachment 60829

I hope he never gets banned. Hearing his outrageous theories on the 2nd amendment and general ignorance of firearm law just make my day, all day every day. Also a HUGE fan of the snarky, misspelled quips he includes in his neg reps. Please note that this post is entirely non-sarcastic. [smile]

I aim to please brother. Anything I can for the cause. lmao

You don't know the difference from a ar15 and m4/m16 .

Guys gave given you tons of info but you not listening to them.
You can't get over that it looks like a m16 so it must b the same.

My brother got a 10/22 that he made it look like a ar15 is that a assault weapon ?

Last edited:
French women don't shave their armpits or legs

French women rarely bathe.

Primus Tactical will not be banned

The French hate Americans.

A genuine French cabbie explained it to me once, driving from 6th to Orly, when he saw my expression as he battered his way through the traffic:

"We French, we do not hate Americans. We hate everyone, even other French."

All I am going to say is wow, and then follow up with this fallacy, cop's are the only ones trained well enough to have [STRIKE=assault weapons]assault weapons[/STRIKE] semi-automatic defensive rifles. and MRAPs.

Back
Top Bottom