Need barrel threaded without disassembly

SKumar

NES Member
Anyone know of a gunsmith that can do a rifle barrel thread without removing the barrel from the receiver?

I got one consultation over the phone that said a FAL barrel is very difficult to remove and it's better off to use a "clamp-on" muzzle brake and weld it on.

I would greatly prefer real threading. Looking for 5/8x24.

I'm in eastern MA, but I'll travel to Worcester or NH if I have to.

the problem is the end of the barrel has to be .625 outside diameter +.000 /-.003 IMHO to thread it

If it is not that size, there is no easy way to machine it and have it on the same center line as the barrel C/L

Any pipefitters have a Rigid pipe threader he can use with the right dies ( LOL)

Yeah why a muzzle brake at all? Just makes it more annoying for anyone else nearby at the range.

Why do you need a brake?
FAL is heavy enough as it is and a pretty heavy bolt to fight any muzzle flip.
Like others said, I need that "gun-range bling" [rofl]

I have an aluminum muzzle brake that's pretty light (maybe a couple ounces). I'm doing surgery on the rifle, so I figure might as well complete it with a muzzle brake.

So if nobody knows a professional gunsmith that can do it, how about anyone with the DIY kit and I pay you to do it?

Check with George Saati at Northeast Gun Works (Hudson, NH). He installed the sights on my FrankenPara and I'll be going to him at some point to thread the barrel on my 22/45 (so I can fit it with a can later). He does solid work at a fair rate. Plus doesn't seem to have the XX month lead time that some smiths do. ;)

Paging @C. Stockwell -- he had his FAL threaded recently.

+ 1 also for George @ Northeast. He worked on my AK muzzles not threading specifically -- but did a good job quickly and fairly priced.

+ 1 also for George @ Northeast. He worked on my AK muzzles not threading specifically -- but did a good job quickly and fairly priced.
I showed him the gun yesterday. Not much he or steve could do other than clamping/welding.
Check with George Saati at Northeast Gun Works (Hudson, NH).
I'll give him a call. Thank you Sir.

I showed him the gun yesterday. Not much he or steve could do other than clamping/welding.

I'll give him a call. Thank you Sir.
I was talking about George at Northeast Gun Works in Hudson, NH. Nothing against Northeast Arms in MA, though, it was my favorite shop before I left state.

Like others said, I need that "gun-range bling" [rofl]

I have an aluminum muzzle brake that's pretty light (maybe a couple ounces). I'm doing surgery on the rifle, so I figure might as well complete it with a muzzle brake.

So if nobody knows a professional gunsmith that can do it, how about anyone with the DIY kit and I pay you to do it?
Ok so when a gun smith says "its to hard" thats code for several things
1. I dont have the correct tools
2. Im not going to make enough to bother
3. Dont have the skills
4. Does not want to take the time to talk you out of it.

I get the "bling" thing but honeslty the FAL has its own little thing going for it. No one sees a FAL and says. "What no brake" .

The tools can be had for not a lot of money and you can sell them after. No vice....you can find those fairly cheap also.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...n-fal-rifle-action-wrench-head-prod25114.aspx

No if you just dont want to do it thats fine. Maybe ship it out to DSA they been around a long time.

Ok so when a gun smith says "its to hard" thats code for several things
1. I dont have the correct tools
2. Im not going to make enough to bother
3. Dont have the skills
4. Does not want to take the time to talk you out of it.

I get the "bling" thing but honeslty the FAL has its own little thing going for it. No one sees a FAL and says. "What no brake" .

The tools can be had for not a lot of money and you can sell them after. No vice....you can find those fairly cheap also.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...n-fal-rifle-action-wrench-head-prod25114.aspx

No if you just dont want to do it thats fine. Maybe ship it out to DSA they been around a long time.

Few points:

1) Actually, a FAL should have some kind of muzzle device on the barrel. A FN combination device, Browning "long flash hider," or Stoll flash suppressor/grenade launcher is appropriate on a FAL. A naked barrel is a sign the gun was built during the 1994-2004 ban. Most guys (myself included) added a device upon liberating the gun. Now, a muzzle brake? I hate concussive blasts and the only brake used was the FN combination device + the Halbek Device, so I wouldn't put a brake on a FAL.

2) You're absolutely spot on about gunsmith language coding. Its borderline bullshit about keeping the FAL barrel in the receiver and how hard it is, and I'm just a FAL newb.

3) OP's already said he isn't comfortable. If he needs a guy, I know a guy.

Few points:

1) Actually, a FAL should have some kind of muzzle device on the barrel. A FN combination device, Browning "long flash hider," or Stoll flash suppressor/grenade launcher is appropriate on a FAL. A naked barrel is a sign the gun was built during the 1994-2004 ban. Most guys (myself included) added a device upon liberating the gun. Now, a muzzle brake? I hate concussive blasts and the only brake used was the FN combination device + the Halbek Device, so I wouldn't put a brake on a FAL.

2) You're absolutely spot on about gunsmith language coding. Its borderline bullshit about keeping the FAL barrel in the receiver and how hard it is, and I'm just a FAL newb.

Is the long flash hider the one that twist on and off and looks like a tampon?
I will admit did not really have interest in FALs until mid/late 90s i bought one in 98 but sold it shortly after to fund down payment on my house. Put all of 20 rounds through it. Did not have a muzzle device. Trying to remember if it just had a thread protector or not. ?

Is the long flash hider the one that twist on and off and looks like a tampon?
I will admit did not really have interest in FALs until mid/late 90s i bought one in 98 but sold it shortly after to fund down payment on my house. Put all of 20 rounds through it. Did not have a muzzle device. Trying to remember if it just had a thread protector or not. ?

I think the Browning flash suppressor looks like a flash suppressor [laugh]

I don't think that one twists on and off because DSA lists a twist rate of 9/16x24. I thought about putting one on my SA58 but they have a reputation for the prongs peeling apart like Elmer Fudd's shotgun. So I got a long Stoll flash suppressor instead.

Here's what the Browning flash suppressor looks like:

img_8670.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

L1A1flashhidercracked.jpg

flashhidercracked1.jpg

I think the Browning flash suppressor looks like a flash suppressor [laugh]

I don't think that one twists on and off because DSA lists a twist rate of 9/16x24. I thought about putting one on my SA58 but they have a reputation for the prongs peeling apart like Elmer Fudd's shotgun. So I got a long Stoll flash suppressor instead.

Here's what the Browning flash suppressor looks like:

img_8670.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

L1A1flashhidercracked.jpg

flashhidercracked1.jpg
Yeah and expands like a tampoon!

Reviving an old thread but want to confirm below. I received a clamp on brake as a part of a purchase on a non threaded barrel (16in).

Want to confirm I can clamp it on. My understanding is the threaded barrel counts as one nono and a non permanently affixed brake is a nono only if it contributes to the 16" overall barrel length. Is this right?

Why would you have to weld on the clamp on brake? If the barrel isn't threaded it doesn't matter if it's removable.

Reviving an old thread but want to confirm below. I received a clamp on brake as a part of a purchase on a non threaded barrel (16in).

Want to confirm I can clamp it on. My understanding is the threaded barrel counts as one nono and a non permanently affixed brake is a nono only if it contributes to the 16" overall barrel length. Is this right?
its a muzzle brake not a flash hider.
As for a legal standing I would gander as long as the barrel is of legal length and not threaded a clamp on muzzle brake would be a none issue.
As my previous post show, i need to add why bother.

Few points:

So if a gunsmith threads barrels exclusively with a lathe , because using a die is risky and a hack way to thread a barrel , I’ve seen countless barrels hacked to death from someone using a die , there’s even a discussion on this very forum about it

so that being said “keeping the barrel assembled in the receiver is borderline bullshit?” Please let us know how you fit the receiver and all other associated parts into a lathe’s chuck then

If you haven’t already done this or given up call Morgan at class III machining, if he can’t do it nobody can. He cut and threaded my HK94 clone barrel in the receiver after I got a form 1 approved for sbr.

So if a gunsmith threads barrels exclusively with a lathe , because using a die is risky and a hack way to thread a barrel , I’ve seen countless barrels hacked to death from someone using a die , there’s even a discussion on this very forum about it

so that being said “keeping the barrel assembled in the receiver is borderline bullshit?” Please let us know how you fit the receiver and all other associated parts into a lathe’s chuck then
Horizontal Boring Mill. Threadmill it.

Back
Top Bottom