• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need advice - personal carry for woman

I've had no issues with my older laser equipped BG380. I'd probably buy the non-laser version if I were buying today, mostly because the laser control is poorly designed.

Most of the time I carry S&W 638 revolver, which is no fun at the range but it is very light and I just trust revolvers more.

My gf had a difficult time picking a gun. She didn't want a purse period. However she could not find a way to carry in a way she liked that fit all the ways she dresses for work (real estate agent). So she got a purse and Carry's her ruger sr9c in that. She didn't like the idea until she found a small bag she could comfortablely wear all the time.

Can you be more specific? I really want something that is on my body, not in a purse or something like that and with womens clothing options start to be more limiting. I like t-shirts and jeans in the summer and that it would be a good option for the warmer months and even in the cooler months as well.

Hi VetteGirlMA ... as Ben mentioned, I am a tiny gal... the pistol I carry is a S&W Shield 9mm. I have small hands but it's probably the best fitting 9mm for me. It is not perfect, but I wager, I can now get off a few rounds in center mass if I have to. I also own the Sig P238 but I don't carry that as often, only when I really want to be concealed (wear a tighter shirt, etc).

As for picking out a gun, as others have said, try out as many as you can. See if anyone on the forum is in your area... see if they will let you shoot their guns, offer money for the ammo. I'll listen to the forum's advice on which guns jam, etc, but for comfort and fit, you just gotta try it out yourself to see.

Clothing - I carry in a OWB holster or a IWB holster at the 3 or 4 o'clock position on my right hip, usually. The easiest thing to do, if you wear tight shirts, is to throw on something loose over the shirt, like a cardigan, or if it's the summer, an open button shirt. Inside the waistband holsters will be a lot easier to conceal so I would definitely go with those if you're going to carry on your hip.

I've been experimenting with appendix carry lately, but I can only do it with the smaller P238 and not the Shield [laugh]

My wife carries the new Walther CCP. Great pistol. Easiest to rack subcompact 9mm produced. My wife has arthritis in wrists and elbows. SHe can't rack my FNS9. But she can rack the CCP and her VP9 all day long.
CCP shoots very well too. recoil is similar to her larger VP9. VP9 is for the range and competition. CCP for EDC.

VetteGirlMa,You might also want to look at the Walther PPS.

My wife carries the new Walther CCP. Great pistol. Easiest to rack subcompact 9mm produced. My wife has arthritis in wrists and elbows. SHe can't rack my FNS9. But she can rack the CCP and her VP9 all day long.
CCP shoots very well too. recoil is similar to her larger VP9. VP9 is for the range and competition. CCP for EDC.

Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to read this :) I know online forums may not always be the best place to ask silly questions, but I would like some feedback. I figured this is exactly the kind of forum to ask my question.

Back when my LTC was being processed I solicited some advice on my first carry weapon. After asking some people in advance I was sold on the Sig P238. That was until I went to a gun shop and started looking at and holding some different handguns and I think I may have changed my mind or made myself more neutral to the Sig.

Back when I was at mass firearms school they basically did not like the S&W Bodyguard, because they said they are subject to jamming and honestly I felt what would the point of a carry gun be if it jammed just at the moment it was needed. So I listened to people's advice and had settled on the Sig.

For me, if I wanted to go concealed I would wear a flash bang holster or something similar, because with women's clothing being so tight, there are not a lot of places to conceal.

The thing was after holding some different handguns I really liked the smaller size and weight of the bodyguard.

My question is this, is the reputation of the S&W bodyguard warranted from just the one experience? Is the Sig worth the extra that is being charged for it? Am I limiting myself too much? I found a few other 9MM's that were easy to hold as well. Obviously all I could do was hold them, but it was a start.

I don't want to rush and just buy something. I want to do the right thing and have something that will last me for a long time. If someone has a different idea, then I am all ears. I have held and used revolvers in the past and honestly I am not too happy with them, only because I was not very accurate with them. Thanks in advance for any help, anyone can offer!!

It shouldn't really matter if you shoot a revolver or semi auto pistol because small lightweight pistols and revolvers are not target guns, so hitting a target at 50 feet shouldn't be a concern. These weapons are for up close encounters. As far as semi autos go any pistol can jam. Failure to fire, failure to eject, light primers strikes and the list goes on and on. IMHO revolvers are a better option for new shooters. A well made 38spl revolver like the S&W 642 or the Ruger LCR with lightweight hollow points will never fail you, and with practice, meaning at distances they were designed for you'll be well armed. Good luck and safe shooting.

Don't discount mouse guns for the summer months.
A Berretta .25 or one along those lines is very concealable.
Some folks may poo poo a .25 , but I've yet to see anyone volunteer to hold a target.[wink]
I carry mine in an IWB holster in hot weather and with just a tee shirt over it, it's hidden.
In winter months it's a full size 1911.

As many others have said here , try before you buy.
A handgun is a very personal preference and what's right for someone else may not work for you.
I can't discourage purse carry enough for a multitude of reasons.
A middle ground between that and a holster is a butt pack and I believe there are some made with built in pistol compartments.
Whatever you do end up with , practice , practice , practice.
Good luck with your search.

the only foolproof way is to have HER try out a bunch of different guns and see what she likes best not just on the range but on her belt/purse/???. I know women who pack full size 1911s IWB, I know ones that carry handcannons in their purse, and I even know one who's full-time carry gun is a beretta .25 tip up in the small of her back because she apparently couldn't conceal anything bigger.

Carry what you are comfortable shooting. I carry a bodyguard everyday because it's comfortable and easy to conceal. Not the easiest gun to shoot but at 10 feet it will make holes in paper

Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to read this :) I know online forums may not always be the best place to ask silly questions, but I would like some feedback. I figured this is exactly the kind of forum to ask my question.

Back when my LTC was being processed I solicited some advice on my first carry weapon. After asking some people in advance I was sold on the Sig P238. That was until I went to a gun shop and started looking at and holding some different handguns and I think I may have changed my mind or made myself more neutral to the Sig.

Back when I was at mass firearms school they basically did not like the S&W Bodyguard, because they said they are subject to jamming and honestly I felt what would the point of a carry gun be if it jammed just at the moment it was needed. So I listened to people's advice and had settled on the Sig.

For me, if I wanted to go concealed I would wear a flash bang holster or something similar, because with women's clothing being so tight, there are not a lot of places to conceal.

The thing was after holding some different handguns I really liked the smaller size and weight of the bodyguard.

My question is this, is the reputation of the S&W bodyguard warranted from just the one experience? Is the Sig worth the extra that is being charged for it? Am I limiting myself too much? I found a few other 9MM's that were easy to hold as well. Obviously all I could do was hold them, but it was a start.

I don't want to rush and just buy something. I want to do the right thing and have something that will last me for a long time. If someone has a different idea, then I am all ears. I have held and used revolvers in the past and honestly I am not too happy with them, only because I was not very accurate with them. Thanks in advance for any help, anyone can offer!!
I did repeatedly compare the S&W with the LCR, and decided that the LCR was much more comfortable and smooth. The S&W felt like I was shooting +P rounds from the LCR. Also, for some reason, the S&W hurt the inside of my thumb after a couple of dozen rounds. I would definitely recommend the LCR. MFS has both, take them both out and see which one you like more.

The Sig 238 is very small and easy to conceal. There are other guns that you should check out and try and not take the advice from the salesman that's only interested in the sale and not you. The Sig 238 in a good holster can be carried in the pocket or a Flash Bang Holster and you would be good to go.
In an ankle holster while wearing boot cut jeans also works, that's what I do with mine......

There are several question you need to answer for your application: Reliability, stopping power, cost of shooting, size, weight, how concealable, safety, accuracy, ease of operation, ammo availability, the look, the style, the name, whatever is important to you. A good deal of these need to be answered by holding and firing the differnt arms, even more by research and reading.

.380 auto is not the best for stopping power; .380 ammo is not always availlable and is a bit expensive. With that said my CCW is a Colt MK IV/Series'80 Government Model .380 Auto. All steel, narrow profile, SAO with slide safety. I have a total of 6 seven round magazines and a custom made leather IWB holster.

Small, lightweight 9mm I would think have quite a recoil compared to my Baretta 92f which has quite a recoil already at full sized, duty sidearm. But, I have not tried any of the newer lighter 9s . . . yet. I am in the same market, looking for more punch than my .380 but still conceal carry.

I would be interested in what your final decision is and why, I would be happy to do the same.

Like everyone else has said, you need to find the gun that fits you, preferably by firing it as well. 20+ years of competitive shooting has formed the following opinions:
Revolver vs semi-auto, the small revolvers are hard for a new shooter to shoot well and I have seen and heard directly from those who have had a revolver jam up, which required a mallet to open the cylinder: An early S&W 642 when they first came out in .357 and this past Friday a full sized S&W in 9mm. I have broken a transfer bar on a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I have not had a semi-auto of modern manufacture break and the infrequent jams were usually due to poor ammo and are easily cleared quickly and without tools.
Caliber: honestly I can't recommend going below 9mm when the 9mm and .380's out there are almost the same size and recoil is similar.
Trigger: I am leery of a Glock style trigger on anything meant for pocket carry or any other carry where the trigger is not covered by a material that prevents the trigger from being manipulated, intentionally or otherwise.

My personal preference is the Kahr PM9, it will fit anywhere a standard sized men's wallet will, is very accurate and has been completely reliable with factory ammo.

Sorry I can't help regarding those specific guns. But wanted to mention that I also found faliaphotography's youtube channel that vietboy1st linked to useful when I was a noob - channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNn90bficsQbycHvrMBFdfw
I also want to mention Limatunes' Range Diary youtube channel. Start here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yCD7aGacvU
Also, please check out various videos on handgun grip before buying too many guns. How you grip a gun changes how it feels (especially re followup shots), and therefor which gun feels right. I hated the way Glocks felt and especially shot for years, now they are pretty much all I carry - started with various 9mm, now prefer 45.

I almost exclusively use MTAC IWB holsters, with a kydex reinforced belt. The right belt/holster makes a world of difference.

Take it ALL with a grain of salt. Everything about concealed carry is balancing everything versus everything else. Back when I was asking the questions like you are asking, I found that some things you just have to work thru on your own - it's all the size/shape of your hand, how much you're willing to practice, what caliber you're comfortable shooting, how much capacity you feel you might need. You'll only get to what you like by trying various things, especially if you're picky. Absolutely ask questions, get opinions, but get to the point where you have your own opinion by working it out.

Also, practice. It's not a magic wand:
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

I agree with Chantry on the PM9..........it's what I carry everyday (often pocket carry in an Uncle Mike's holster or in a Sneaky Pete).

VetteGirl.....notice you're in Western MA like me........I have no problem with letting you shoot my PM9 if you're close by. PM me.

J-Frame S&W with an Apex Duty/Carry Kit installed may get you to change your mind on the venerable Revolver.

Try many...buy one.

~Matt

FINALLY! A S&W Airweight is a great start. I put 5 +P's in mine, insert in pocket holster and that's that.

For a defensive gun, I don't think it can be beat.

I bought a Sig238 thinking that my wife would use it when she got licensed. She shot a S&W637 during her LTC course and decided that is what she wanted--less to think about if she ever needed to use it. She also wanted the version with the Crimson Trace laser. Her logic there is that the laser alone could be a deterrent. She uses a pocket holster most of the time and an outside the waist holster with a thumb break when trail riding her horse. I find that I often carry the Sig238. I use a pocket holster and really don't know its there. I replaced the springs on the Sig to tweak the pull a bit and I have never had any issue. I did not know about the apex trigger kit for J-frames. Learn something new every day!

Ditto to what others have said--try them out if you can. How far west is western mass? Hoffman's (south of Hartford) has a range/rental. If you are close to Sturbridge, you're welcome to try our handguns. Yes, plural--I am surprised no has told you yet that it is impossible to have just one--they tend to multiply!

I agree with Chantry on the PM9..........it's what I carry everyday (often pocket carry in an Uncle Mike's holster or in a Sneaky Pete).

VetteGirl.....notice you're in Western MA like me........I have no problem with letting you shoot my PM9 if you're close by. PM me.

Keep in mind that the PM9 has a hefty spring, so make sure that she can rack the slide before you go with it. I had suggested this gun for my wife but she cannot rack the slide easily so it is a no-go for her.

-Mark

Keep in mind that the PM9 has a hefty spring, so make sure that she can rack the slide before you go with it. I had suggested this gun for my wife but she cannot rack the slide easily so it is a no-go for her.

-Mark

That was one thing that turned me off on glocks. It's a nice size, but it was hard to fully rack the slide. The nice gentleman in the gun shop showed me that I only needed to partially rack it.

I have to say that I have received enough information to keep me thinking for a while. I definitely came to the right place and am frankly in awe at how helpful everyone has been. This reminds me of the days when I used to be a big hummer owner and joined the hummer club and met some truly amazing and helpful people. I really appreciate the help. I spent most of last night studying holsters :) Who would have thought it could be so much fun comparison shopping :)

FINALLY! A S&W Airweight is a great start. I put 5 +P's in mine, insert in pocket holster and that's that.

For a defensive gun, I don't think it can be beat.

Apex states that their kit drops the trigger pull from +/- 12 lbs to +/- 9 lbs...

"The J-Frame Duty/Carry Kit is the next evolution of drop in parts from ATS, Inc. Installation of this kit reduces the trigger pull weight of your center fire J-Frame* Smith & Wesson Revolver from over 12 lbs to 9lbs. Remove the factory parts and install the J-Frame Duty/Carry Kit."

Back
Top Bottom