• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need advice - personal carry for woman

FINALLY! A S&W Airweight is a great start. I put 5 +P's in mine, insert in pocket holster and that's that.

For a defensive gun, I don't think it can be beat.
Try before you buy on the airweight.
With +p it can be uncomfortable to shoot but this was shooting side by side with a k-frame. Grip on these ultra light weight guns is key to a successful practice session.

Phone post: intelligence not included

I would recommend you take a look at the Ruger LC9S if you like the bodyguard. I had a bodyguard and while it is a nice gun the trigger sucked. The LC9S or LC9S Pro are striker fired and have significantly better triggers and they are 9mm. It is pretty rounded off so should be easier to conceal. Good luck in your quest! Try before you buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't discount mouse guns for the summer months.
A Berretta .25 or one along those lines is very concealable.
Some folks may poo poo a .25 , but I've yet to see anyone volunteer to hold a target.[wink]

While a mafia hit man might laugh at a .25, a garden variety thug mugging wallets in the street is looking for low hanging fruit. To HIM (or her - must not be sexist) that .25 will look like a .45. So yes. A mouse gun could work fine...

Ruger has a 9mm revolver that weighs about 15 ounces. They also have a .38 in the same series. Accuracy should not be a major consideration, because, if you ever have to use it, you will probably be within 6 feet of the assailant. The revolver is reliable...doesn't jam, and goes bang every time. The Rugers have a 5 round capacity. If you still prefer a semi, I would suggest the Sig. Sig makes fine weapons which, in my opinion, are well worth the price.

I'm personally a big fan of the shield. I find it the perfect balance between a carry gun and a gun I can have fun with at the range.

My wife loves her Shield in 40SW. Uses a Crossbreed mini-tuck.

Love my Shield 9. I use the Crossbreed MiniTuck as well for IWB. For OWB, I have a Bullseye kydex holster.

I'm personally a big fan of the shield. I find it the perfect balance between a carry gun and a gun I can have fun with at the range.

This

- - - Updated - - -

Love my Shield 9. I use the Crossbreed MiniTuck as well for IWB. For OWB, I have a Bullseye kydex holster.

this

the wealth of accessories, holsters, sights, etc adds to tye shield's appeal. Personally i have upwards or 3k rounds through mine without a single hiccup.

My wife and daughter both find the Glock 26 to be perfect for both of them....But as many have said, go with what feels best for YOU. Try many, settle on one (or two...I double-carry...G26 and SW442, and in winter the G26 becomes the G22 as it's easier to conceal the G22 in winter months, impossible during summer).
And yes, you will DEFINITELY find the folks here at NES to be some of the most helpful on the planet. Don't be shy about asking "silly" questions!!

I have to say that I have received enough information to keep me thinking for a while. I definitely came to the right place and am frankly in awe at how helpful everyone has been.

Yup! Funny how that happens when someone has the user ID "VetteGirl". I could be on the side of the road in my disabled Honda CR-V for months waiting for TripleA to show up...meanwhile, a chick in a Vette would have her car towed ("No charge, honey") to a shop, get a great discount, and fully repaired before mine is even on the tow hook... the birds would come and cover me with leaves while I was waiting for someone to help me. [wink]
Welcome and enjoy NES.

So...exactly where in western MA are you, anyway? [smile]

Yup! Funny how that happens when someone has the user ID "VetteGirl". I could be on the side of the road in my disabled Honda CR-V for months waiting for TripleA to show up...meanwhile, a chick in a Vette would have her car towed ("No charge, honey") to a shop, get a great discount, and fully repaired before mine is even on the tow hook... the birds would come and cover me with leaves while I was waiting for someone to help me. [wink]
Welcome and enjoy NES.

So...exactly where in western MA are you, anyway? [smile]

I live in Chicopee. I have 2 corvettes actually. One is a 2013 60th anniversary grand sport convertible and the other is a 2014 (C7 newest generation) Stingray coupe. I love them both and honestly the snow can't melt fast enough for me. I love cars and have owned many including some exotics, Corvettes are my new thing though. I'd add a picture but there doesn't seem to be an upload feature.

I live in Chicopee. I have 2 corvettes actually. One is a 2013 60th anniversary grand sport convertible and the other is a 2014 (C7 newest generation) Stingray coupe. I love them both and honestly the snow can't melt fast enough for me. I love cars and have owned many including some exotics, Corvettes are my new thing though. I'd add a picture but there doesn't seem to be an upload feature.

This is actually useful information from a firearms perspective. What it tells us is that the cost of your firearm (s) is less of a factor.

So my advice? You soooo have a custom gun ( or 2) made for you or at least tweaked, by a good gunsmith.

I am thinking a classic 1911 - Commander size- with an action and trigger job. Yeah, the thing is going to run you about 2k + for starters and you could easily drop 5k on one, but...it will be perfect. In every way shape and form, perfect. Made exactly right for you. Super reliable, easy to rack, accurate, and of course, gorgeous.

While you are waiting for your custom, I'd pick up a Ruger LC9 or a Kahr PM9. My wife prefers revolvers, just because there is less to think about.

But seriously, why settle? You are going to have it forever ( probably) and it's intended purpose is to save your life. ( potentially )

Keep in mind that the PM9 has a hefty spring, so make sure that she can rack the slide before you go with it. I had suggested this gun for my wife but she cannot rack the slide easily so it is a no-go for her.

-Mark
I love my PM9, but the quoted advice is really important. With every gun you try, make sure you can rack the slide to clear the chamber safely.

Keep in mind that the PM9 has a hefty spring, so make sure that she can rack the slide before you go with it. I had suggested this gun for my wife but she cannot rack the slide easily so it is a no-go for her.

-Mark

Agree with this! My wife had a lot of trouble with the PM9, while comfortable to shoot, and recoil was 'ok', the battery of operations for it was tough for her because of the stiff springs. She much prefers the M&P Shield in 9mm.

+1 to shoot as many guns as you can, several times, before you buy.

And take some courses, lots of great instructors here on the forums.

I would consider myself an average female (5'4", size 8/10) and I carry a Glock 30sf IWB at the 10/11 position. I'm a t-shirt and jeans kind of girl and I really didn't have to alter the types of clothing I wear at all. When I was first looking into carrying, I knew that I didn't want to have it in a purse, I wanted it on my person. You just have to do your research, shoot as many different guns as you can and try out different carry positions until you find one that works for you. A good holster is also super important and yes, you may have to change what you wear, but I'd rather mourn the loss of a cute shirt than not be able to protect myself!

I would consider myself an average female (5'4", size 8/10) and I carry a Glock 30sf IWB at the 10/11 position. I'm a t-shirt and jeans kind of girl and I really didn't have to alter the types of clothing I wear at all. When I was first looking into carrying, I knew that I didn't want to have it in a purse, I wanted it on my person. You just have to do your research, shoot as many different guns as you can and try out different carry positions until you find one that works for you. A good holster is also super important and yes, you may have to change what you wear, but I'd rather mourn the loss of a cute shirt than not be able to protect myself!

+1 on everythang you said.

I'm even smaller than you are! sub 5' lol... I'm still dreaming of a single stack Glock in 9mm. Guess my Shield will have to do. It's working out nicely for me.

You sound a lot like me except I am 5'10" :) I definitely would not feel comfortable unless I had something directly on my person and not a purse. I also wear t-shirts and jeans a lot as well, even during the winter. BTW, I love your user name, it really gave me a good chuckle this morning.

This is actually useful information from a firearms perspective. What it tells us is that the cost of your firearm (s) is less of a factor.

So my advice? You soooo have a custom gun ( or 2) made for you or at least tweaked, by a good gunsmith.

I am thinking a classic 1911 - Commander size- with an action and trigger job. Yeah, the thing is going to run you about 2k + for starters and you could easily drop 5k on one, but...it will be perfect. In every way shape and form, perfect. Made exactly right for you. Super reliable, easy to rack, accurate, and of course, gorgeous.

While you are waiting for your custom, I'd pick up a Ruger LC9 or a Kahr PM9. My wife prefers revolvers, just because there is less to think about.

But seriously, why settle? You are going to have it forever ( probably) and it's intended purpose is to save your life. ( potentially )

Cost is definitely not my first criteria, it's quite a ways down on the list. The key things are reliability and investing the time to be proficient. I have been a gun owner before so I understand the need for keeping the skills sharp. There is a gunsmith that I pass by their sign on my way to getting pizza in either south hadley or granby (I believe it's called dark horse or something along those lines). The key for me is being able to acquire the skills to be accurate, reliability, concealment that meets my needs and my own comfort level.

+1 on everythang you said.

I'm even smaller than you are! sub 5' lol... I'm still dreaming of a single stack Glock in 9mm. Guess my Shield will have to do. It's working out nicely for me.

That's the awesome thing about ladies...we come in all different shapes and sizes and I think it's totally badass that even the tiniest of us are capable of rocking and rolling some serious firearms! Another reason why, as great as advice is, you gotta get out there and try it all out! Don't give up the dream lol! While my Glock may not be the prettiest, I absolutely love her!

I carry a S&W bodyguard every day. I did the Galloway Precision upgrades to it which lighten the trigger a bit and shorten the stroke and reset. It has approximately 700 rounds through it after the upgrades with no failures.

I have other carry guns (G26, Sr9c) but I believe in consistency. I carry the same gun all year round in shorts and in business attire (where I'm not supposed to carry). Also, I have small kid's around so there are two thing I look for in a carry gun, external safety and heavy/long trigger. I also like to carry a double action. All my preference but the bodyguard fits just right for my requirements.

As for people saying it is difficult to shoot, I say they need more practice with that gun. And remember it's not a precision firearm! I practice at 20,30,40 ft and strive for 6 inch groups under pressure. You can be good with any gun if you practice.

I have to say that I have received enough information to keep me thinking for a while. I definitely came to the right place and am frankly in awe at how helpful everyone has been. This reminds me of the days when I used to be a big hummer owner and joined the hummer club and met some truly amazing and helpful people. I really appreciate the help. I spent most of last night studying holsters :) Who would have thought it could be so much fun comparison shopping :)

Lol ....... Too easy.

Best advice on this site . Thick skin and tell dick heads dude to **** off.

That was one thing that turned me off on glocks. It's a nice size, but it was hard to fully rack the slide. The nice gentleman in the gun shop showed me that I only needed to partially rack it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bold part (just resetting the trigger?), but I just read in American Rifleman about a pistol that was specifically designed for women. Here's one of the things they wrote about it:

The lighter mainspring allows the shooter with lesser grip strength (typically the Achilles heel for women handling semi-automatics) to successfully cock the hammer and rack the slide.

It may not be easy to find one in MA, but I think it's worth mentioning. Here's a link so you can find out more: Pavona Pistol.

Last edited:
I have limited training experience, but have a 14/15 or so success rate teaching weaker shooters to push the gun with their strong hand instead or pulling with their weak. This included two people who were legally disabled.

Just like a motorcycle.. Push don't pull.. Makes all the difference.

I have limited training experience, but have a 14/15 or so success rate teaching weaker shooters to push the gun with their strong hand instead or pulling with their weak. This included two people who were legally disabled.

Good point.

Assuming you're talking about racking the slide (which I'm quite sure you are) and not the dynamics of a firing grip, I agree. Sometimes, because of a lack of knowledge, too big a deal is made of someone's ability to rack the slide when choosing a pistol. A little training would open up the options. Racking is easier to do when you know the right technique(s).

Just like choosing a pistol by how it feels in your hand... when someone doesn't even know how to grip it, they aren't considering the right things to evaluate it properly.

People can be easily sidetracked/misled if they don't know what is important and what's not. I've seen it many times.

Back
Top Bottom