• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need advice - personal carry for woman

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to read this :) I know online forums may not always be the best place to ask silly questions, but I would like some feedback. I figured this is exactly the kind of forum to ask my question.

Back when my LTC was being processed I solicited some advice on my first carry weapon. After asking some people in advance I was sold on the Sig P238. That was until I went to a gun shop and started looking at and holding some different handguns and I think I may have changed my mind or made myself more neutral to the Sig.

Back when I was at mass firearms school they basically did not like the S&W Bodyguard, because they said they are subject to jamming and honestly I felt what would the point of a carry gun be if it jammed just at the moment it was needed. So I listened to people's advice and had settled on the Sig.

For me, if I wanted to go concealed I would wear a flash bang holster or something similar, because with women's clothing being so tight, there are not a lot of places to conceal.

The thing was after holding some different handguns I really liked the smaller size and weight of the bodyguard.

My question is this, is the reputation of the S&W bodyguard warranted from just the one experience? Is the Sig worth the extra that is being charged for it? Am I limiting myself too much? I found a few other 9MM's that were easy to hold as well. Obviously all I could do was hold them, but it was a start.

I don't want to rush and just buy something. I want to do the right thing and have something that will last me for a long time. If someone has a different idea, then I am all ears. I have held and used revolvers in the past and honestly I am not too happy with them, only because I was not very accurate with them. Thanks in advance for any help, anyone can offer!!

The most important thing is that you feel comfortable and shoot it well. It doesn't matter what the forum thinks.

That being said, you mention that you've held other 9mm that feel good... What were they

It does not matter if the people at MFS did not like the Bodyguard, did you? You really need to try out several handguns to see what feels right for you. Revolver vs semi-auto has very little relevance on accuracy, you simply need to learn to shoot whatever you choose properly. I think highly of small revolvers for new concealed carriers. They are very simple to operate and you don't have to deal with manual safeties or magazines or racking the slide. Try out as many makes/models as you can. Most shooters are glad to help you out and provide advice.

As for carry modes/holsters, I won't even speculate as I am a large guy and have no idea what will work well for a female.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I think there were problems with the earlier Bodygaurds, which only came with the laser then. I have a newer one with no laser and it has worked fine for me. There are some other small pistols like the Seecamp, but they might be harder to find.

The only gun I have ever sold in my life was the Sig 238. It jammed several times; both on the range during your standard run of the mill shooting and also when I just tried to load magazines and cycle rounds through it manually. I tried it with both factory magazines.

While it looks like you are in Mass and it may be difficult to find a Glock 42, I would strongly suggest finding one and see if it would work for you if you are trying to stay with a .380.

I have held and used revolvers in the past and honestly I am not too happy with them, only because I was not very accurate with them. Thanks in advance for any help, anyone can offer!!
Have you shot a S&W bodyguard and felt that you were more accurate with it?
Why do you think you were not accurate with the revolvers? Usually what people say is because of the long/hard trigger pull, but the S&W bodyguard has a pretty similar trigger pull.

When you're handling guns in the shop, make sure you try the triggers too.

Also with regard to trigger pulls: personally, I would not carry something with a light/single-action trigger in flexible holster that could potentially be pointed at sensitive parts... some people disagree, but just something to consider as well. There was a recent story about a woman who managed to shoot herself in the head while adjusting a flashbang holster... now, clearly there was some improper/unsafe gun handling involved there, and while I don't know what gun was involved I would have trouble believing it happened with something like a revolver with a 12lb trigger. (not meant to dissuade you from any particular holster, or gun, but just make sure you have the proper skill/knowledge/attitude to safely use both. And whatever holster you get - hopefully this goes without saying - make sure you adjust it and practice with it with an unloaded gun)

Last edited:
Please try shooting whatever guns you are interested in before you buy. The BG is awesomely light and small, but has a LOOOOng trigger pull. The G42 is a bit larger (not a whole loot), but the trigger is much better, and for me ( an older guy) much much more accurate to shoot. So there is more to consider than just size, although that is important. MFS willl let you rent to try them out.

I had the BG380, it was just OK. Trigger smoothed out a bit after 500 or so painful rounds but I never had that comfortable feeling with it. I just picked up a new LCP and am VERY impressed with it. I used to own an older model LCP and it is night and day difference between the two. The new model is made after 2013 and has serial numbers without the dashes, Ruger calls them the "Enhanced LCP". I also own a Shield, a 938 and 238. The Sig's were without question my preferred/favorite carry but the LCP is taking over..... half the weight if the 238, don't even know it's there!

The Sig 238 is very small and easy to conceal. There are other guns that you should check out and try and not take the advice from the salesman that's only interested in the sale and not you. The Sig 238 in a good holster can be carried in the pocket or a Flash Bang Holster and you would be good to go.

From the people I know in the USMS that bought the Body Guard as a back up gun everyone sold theirs within months after getting them. The trigger is horrendous and since they carry the GLOCK 22, 27 and 23 all the triggers are the same. If you went the GLOCK route and I would recommend getting the G42 just for that reason. The Body Guard makes the shooter slap the trigger and this will carry over to the primary carry gun.

I learned through helping my wife to find a CCW that what works for me never works the same way for her due to hand size, body shape etc. I stopped buying guns based on other people's opinions long ago. I pay attention to forum opinions when it comes to reliability and such, but for fit/comfort I try to find one and determine myself.

Good luck finding a CCW you like, and I'm sure you'll find no shortage of NESer's who are willing to let you try out their guns till you find one you like.

I've sort of been amassing a bunch of EDC-type firearms. So, I'm going to give you a rundown on how I feel about them. As someone mentioned, you should either make friends with someone who has one or find a place that you can rent and put sometime in with them. Experience several of them so you can find out what you like better.

- The Bodyguard that MFL staff disliked was probably the one with the built-in laser. There was a screw for the laser that backed out and caused all sorts of havoc. The New one is called the M&P Bodyguard 380. It does not come with an integrated laser. I have three to four hundred rounds through mine and I haven't had it jam or malfunction in any way. I was the first owner. I did find a kit that added an extra round to the magazine so that helps. The trigger pull is long and a little heavy, but I've found it actually helps with a better trigger pull because you can't just yank on it and mess up your sight alignment.
- M&P Shield - A single stack 9mm - A solid gun from the factory, but the MA trigger especially is heavy. The trigger can be helped with about an hour (or less) of effort to swap out some springs. They recently released a version without an external safety (still has the trigger safety and an internal safety to prevent drop discharges (if that's a term). I like it, the extended mag makes it feel a whole lot better in my hands. There's also a 40 S&W version available
- Springfield XDS 9mm - Recently picked this up and I'm getting used to it. Works well, reliably. Actually, I'm not sure if you can get this in MA through a dealer, but someone may have one for a FTF
- M&P 9c - A double stack 9mm - This is the big brother to the Shield, a little wider, little heavier and a little longer. Trigger heavy, trigger kit available.
- Ruger SR9C - Very similar to the M&P 9c. Much better trigger feel out of the box.

I shot the baby Sig and found it was very small for me, felt much smaller than the bodyguard, hard to get a good handle on it.

Of course, these are my opinions, you should take the time to form your own. If you're interested and want to drive up to Nashua sometime, you're welcome to use any of them at one of the local ranges.

As others suggested, make sure you try out whatever gun you think you might want before buying it. There is bound to be a member here more than willing to let you put a few rounds through whatever gun you might want to try, especially if you supply some ammo. That being said, I completely agree with you on the size/weight of the BG380. I had the original with the laser, and traded it in for something else at one point, mainly because I didn't like the trigger, and .380 is pretty hard to come by at times, and more expensive than something like 9mm to practice with. When the newer M&P version without the laser was released, I felt like giving it another try since I hated the laser and thought it was a waste of weight and space, but liked the new simpler version. I carry it almost exclusively in the warmer months for reasons similar to why you want it - easier to conceal with lighter clothes. The trigger is heavy and long, but inmo this is not a bad thing for a defensive carry as long as you practice, and can shoot well with it. Because it is so long and heavy, I never engage the safety at all since it would be very difficult to accidentally pull that trigger. It is not a fun gun to use for target shooting, but seems to be accurate enough for defensive ranges. At around 1/2 the cost of the Sig, and less weight, I feel it's worth giving a try. I will say that if you want a smooth, short trigger, you will be better off with the Sig though. On that note, I would also recommend stepping up to the Sig p938 since it is essentially the same size as the 238, but uses 9mm which is more desirable for not only a defensive cartridge, but also is way more plentiful and cheaper as well so you can practice even more.[wink]

I had a wonderful in store experience with a ruger lc9. That pistol feels more natural in my hands than any small 9mm I have touched. (Which is almost every modern production 9mm.)

I have been shooting semi auto pistols for almost 30 years.

Yet the stock original lc9 was almost the worst pistol for me to shoot. If I had taken a range trip with it, I would have known in one or two mags that it was not for me due to the trigger.

Welcome to the fun world of small carry pistols and tradeoffs. Plan on dryfireing 25x as much as you shoot. And shoot ad much as you can afford through your carry piece. Don't forget to make an attempt at learning revolvers too. (I carry a 637 sw almost every day when I can now, once I learned how to handle the trigger.)

Good luck. And look up Remora holsters on you tube. There is a rather petite woman who does awesome holster reviews of them and several other carry options for women. Its a good start.

J-Frame S&W with an Apex Duty/Carry Kit installed may get you to change your mind on the venerable Revolver.

Try many...buy one.

~Matt

The original BG380 is junk the newer one without the laser is somewhat better, at least in terms of materials.

I'm not normally a fan of Hogues, but putting a Hogue grip on a Sig 238 changes everything about how the gun feels in the hand, as does using the mag with the pinkie extension. I doubt you could get an LGS to put one on the gun just so you can hold it, but a number of used examples have them.

Just a suggestion.

I have glock 42, p328, boduguard, shield 9mm. My fiance carries the 9mm. And since I'm stuck on college campus all day I pocket carry the body guard. She is average size 5,2 tall
Carries in a black point mini wing. It disappears. I'm also gonna put a plug in for 508 holsters.

As others have said, the original Bodyguard had problems with the laser screw backing out and jamming the slide. The new M&P version is considered more reliable and is available with or without a laser. The BG is double action vs single action on the 238. The BG also has a polymer frame so its lighter weight than the 238. The 238 had it's share of problems when it was new...feeding or ejecting if I remember correctly. The 238 is gorgeous but I pocket carry an M&P Bodyguard because it's lighter and carry guns tend to get a little banged up. Check out the link below. She's a photographer and gun enthusiast so she has lots of tips, tricks and photos of female concealed carry options.

http://www.faliaphotography.com/p/more-photos-my-bug-out-bag-guns-etc.html

My sig m11a1 (fancy 229)is pretty beat up. But it does what I tell it to everytime. It's my weekend carry as at school I absolutely cannot risk any sort of printing (campus carry is legal but I'm at a very liberal university)

I have several small carry guns and as others have said, try before you buy. My favorite carry is the Sig 238. I have had no issues with it at all and I shoot it fairly well. I also have a Body guard but I don't like the trigger at all but I will say it has been reliable at the range. I also have a M&p 9c but it is a little larger than the others so I generally don't carry it.

When my wife decided that she wanted a weapon, I did the basic research about what was good/bad, etc. In the end it came down to what she was comfortable with, and what she was confident that she could load, cycle, and fire consistently. She had tried my 1911 style pistol, and a couple of my revolvers. There was part of me that wanted her to have a revolver in .38 Special, but in the end she had a tough time firing it in double action.
In the end, it came down to a Glock19 Gen4, and an M&P 9. She could grip both well, but the Glock was far easier for her to cycle. The 9mm is an easy weapon to learn on, and cheap to reload. She has taken a number of classes offered through our local club, and had grown in to a great shot. Just my .02.

On that note, I would also recommend stepping up to the Sig p938 since it is essentially the same size as the 238, but uses 9mm which is more desirable for not only a defensive cartridge, but also is way more plentiful and cheaper as well so you can practice even more.[wink]

^^^i would second this...check out a p938 out as well as a kahr pm9

I would stay away from bra carry...

Can you be more specific? I really want something that is on my body, not in a purse or something like that and with womens clothing options start to be more limiting. I like t-shirts and jeans in the summer and that it would be a good option for the warmer months and even in the cooler months as well.

If u can try one xds 9mm
I pocket carry the xds45 at times.

Can you be more specific? I really want something that is on my body, not in a purse or something like that and with womens clothing options start to be more limiting. I like t-shirts and jeans in the summer and that it would be a good option for the warmer months and even in the cooler months as well.

Pocket carry dosent always work for girls since the pockets are so small.
If you wear tight shirts and jeans you'll have a had time hiding it.
There are belly bands you can buy so if your shirt is lose around your waste it won't show.

The few women that I know that carry can't do the bra method because they already have to much weight to carry around, more back problems. Even if you don't have that problem do you want to be carrying the weight there ? The main nock about bra carry is getting to it. And if a guy grabs you from behind . He might be blocking you from getting to it.

Mini ninja can offer the best advice . She's a small girl.

Last edited:
I am not a woman but i hope these can help you guys.

There are more on there..

Thanks for posting this! I have watched a bunch of youtube videos now and have seen a lot of interesting carry options. Maybe I am over thinking things (and I probably am), but I thought the importance of carrying consistently was to develop the muscle memory to have the right reaction time if it was ever needed. It just seems that if I am carrying all over my body, that I am not going to be able to draw properly and may lose seconds while I try to get to the holster. Please let me know if I am thinking this through incorrectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this! I have watched a bunch of youtube videos now and have seen a lot of interesting carry options. Maybe I am over thinking things (and I probably am), but I thought the importance of carrying consistently was to develop the muscle memory to have the right reaction time if it was ever needed. It just seems that if I am carrying all over my body, that I am not going to be able to draw properly and may lose seconds while I try to get to the holster. Please let me know if I am thinking this through incorrectly.

Look at what you wear all the time .figure out the best carry for that style. Then if you wear some other styles now and then figure out what works ok for all of them.
That way you really only have to practice two methods.

Back
Top Bottom