Need advice on inheritance

Pretty much like the title states. My father is going to be leaving me his collection. Now my issue is he doesn't have a will or an estate. At the same time he refuses to slowly sign them over to me. I currently managed to get 3 of his rifle out of his house and into my safe(he handed them over) and he claims he never got paperwork. Even tho its a cold move, can I just bring those 3 to a dealer and have them transferred in my name?
I understand that it's his collection and he(even us on the forum) would hate to part with it. I would hate to see these end up at a PD if something was to happen. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

he needs a will, not only because of the guns, but a lot of other things.

I know it is a hard issue to discuss with parents but work on getting him to write and properly execute a will , it will make everything including transferring any guns easier for his family who have to settle his affairs after he leaves this world for a better place.

Worse case is the person the court names as executor because there is none named in the will, turns out to be a anti and sends the guns to be melted down, and there isn't going to be a thing you can do about it

It took me years to get my mother on board to the will/trust thing, she is 83 and finally agreed, got the house into trust, bank accounts too, but if she goes into a nursing home in the next 4.5 years I'm screwed

Glockaholic is spot on. EVERYONE needs a testamentary will, along with a durable power of attorney, and health care proxy.

As for your specific circumstance, you don't mention if he has a current license or is in MA. If the answer to both is yes, then he can transfer up to four (4) per calendar year. If not, you need to transport them to an FFL who can do the paperwork to transfer to you.

If he gets a will done before he passes, then this is all taken care of via that instrument with certainty.

I do financial planning and I am appalled at the amount of disinformation or lack of information of how things really work when someone dies intestate. (No will)

People make lots of very bad assumptions. It is not an easy thing to talk about or deal with for most people but it is crucial that it be done. I know several estate planning lawyers that I can refer. (Not sure in your area)

Good luck.

Last edited:
Definitely need a will...it protects everyone and ensures your Dad's wishes are honored. My Dad didn't have one and it was a mess, luckily there were only two siblings.

I recall reading that the will should specify each firearm and it's disposition. It was suggested that an addendum could be used as this can be updated without changing the entire document. You might discuss the pros/cons of transfer before death, if possible.

There is a sticky on this topic and I am not a lawyer. Good luck.

Sorry for the missed information. Was typing this before going into work.

He IS a MA resident an a valid LTC holder. Where my issue is.. Is that he doesn't have a will(which I guess is goin to be a fight to get done). Also he WON'T transfer them to me yet. Why he let me take 3 out of his house is beyond me, but now I can't get him to transfer them.

You have them in your possession, however they are still his.
You say "My father is going to be leaving me his collection." so I assume the conversation has already been had? A will is not very expensive (almost always less than the costs associated with not having one) and would ensure that his wishes are adhered to.

Without it, it is a crap shoot.

A will is not very expensive (almost always less than the costs associated with not having one) and would ensure that his wishes are adhered to.

Heck a basic will can be done online with something like LegalZoom for ~$100. You can even pick up the cost and help him put it together

Your dad seems to be a strong guy - I'd frame the will issue in this way: Dad, I know that you like to get your way. A will will make sure that you get your way.

If you have siblings, or other relatives that may get "involved", and he has specific wishes, it's vital.

The Power of Attorney is important, too, in case there's....decline....at some future date. Many oldsters are leery of this, but it can save much grief when needed.

Best of luck.

I do financial planning and I am appalled at the amount of disinformation or lack of information of how things really work when someone dies intestate. (No will)
Your first step as a financial planner discussing wills in making sure the client does not assume "intestate" refers to dying without one's organs.

While I don't personally believe it is sufficient, if the only thing he wants to say is "my son gets my guns" there isn't too much to putting it in a way that is legal as far as inheritance goes - especially if you don't believe any other family members will contest it. Write it up (look online for some standard boilerplate), have it witnessed, and put it somewhere safe. Better to do it in any way he will agree to than not at all (e.g., if getting lawyers and all kinds of other stuff in there is what he objects to).

I went through this with my grandfather,was told the house was mine as long as my grandmother was taken care of,well . Needless to say after he passed away the aunts and uncles came in with the lawyers and I lost it all.
I have learned that you need to have it in writing.
I have both a living will and one incase I do something real stupid and don`t make it.
Don`t push but let him know what can happen if it`s not in writing.

Back
Top Bottom