Need advice on fixed blade knife

This is actually right along the lines of what I'm looking for. Simple, nice handle, good price.

I'll keep this one in mind, thanks.
I have this one, purchased it for a fixed blade for the field found the handle way too small for its purpose . Ended up with an esee 4 and haven’t looked back.
I use it heavily for everything one weekend a month etc.

This is actually right along the lines of what I'm looking for. Simple, nice handle, good price.

I'll keep this one in mind, thanks.
I have this one, purchased it for a fixed blade for the field found the handle way too small for its purpose . Ended up with an esee 4 and haven’t looked back.
I use it heavily for everything one weekend a month etc.

iu

I love this blade. I call it "The Gentleman Skinner..."

iu

Buy once, cry once. Get a Randall.

Ka-Bar's a good, cheap option. And it's an absolute classic. But it's not as useful as a Morakniv. A hundred bucks will get you like three different types of those. They come in very handy.

I have an ESEE 4, love it. Perfect size for a fixed blade

(Also own several Gerbers and SOGs which I think are all a little bit too big. Gerber LMF is the single beefiest knife I own though, that thing can take some ABUSE. Theres a video somewhere of some Marines using an LMF to make a hole in a BRICK WALL to snipe from...)

Freddy, are you commenting on the Original Gerber LMF (Full Tang) or their commercial LMF "II" (non-Full Tang)

Original LMF
gerber-lmf.jpg

LMF II
gerber-lmf-II-Infantry-knife-black.jpg

I like the Original LHR...

LHR_Combat_Knife2.jpg

And the Original BMF...

gerberbmf4.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite fixed blade isn't available any more, because apparently Dan's Depot went out of business.

I got in on the "Free 'Woodsman' knife (just pay S&H)" deal a few years back. The blade is a bit crude (they didn't even clean up the shear marks on the spine where the blank was punch-cut), but the grind is good, and it arrived wicked sharp. It's simple carbon steel, so it's easy to touch up. The overmolded grip is sized right and never slick. The included hard plastic sheath is a simple clip-on sized for a narrow belt, but it's safe. It also has a serrated thumb grip that gives purchase for forcing the knife out against friction.

The rough spine is actually very useful for striking against a flint to make fire.

I keep mine on my mantle to slice open bags of bio-bricks.

coming back to this to stand corrected
Enbloc had noted this site in a different thread, and I noticed a pant load of ESSE models on sale for under the C-note you were looking to spend.
There's some 4" models in there for ~$95.
They might be a touch small for a knife that does it all but, coupled with a small(er) Mora, and a hatchet, you'd be pretty squared up.

Fixed Blade Knives Archives | Tactical Intent

OP: let us know what you settle on.

Tactical Intent currently has the best deals going on ESEE's. Best Price, great customer service, free shipping over $49. Very happy customer!

Also one other note: Tactical Intent also sends you the original ESEE box/papers/decals/cards. I've found others that in order to save on shipping cost, only send the knife and kydex.

No bueno ...

coming back to this to stand corrected
Enbloc had noted this site in a different thread, and I noticed a pant load of ESSE models on sale for under the C-note you were looking to spend.
There's some 4" models in there for ~$95.
They might be a touch small for a knife that does it all but, coupled with a small(er) Mora, and a hatchet, you'd be pretty squared up.

Fixed Blade Knives Archives | Tactical Intent

OP: let us know what you settle on.
I already did, I'm getting the Gerber from post 15

capture1-jpg.299310

I did buy a Morakniv because it was $10 and it's okay, but the blade is thinner than I'd like.

I already did, I'm getting the Gerber from post 15

capture1-jpg.299310

I did buy a Morakniv because it was $10 and it's okay, but the blade is thinner than I'd like.

Good choice.

They make Moras in a couple different blade thicknesses. Which I didn’t realize until I bought one that was THICKER than I liked. I’d offer to trade you, but they’re so inexpensive I just went out and bought the next one.

Last edited:
The Gerber LMF's are really nice. Of course, so are the Ka-Bar and the Buck and the Mora (Frost's).

I also like the Benchmade Nimravus, but those have gotten too expensive.
Nimravus® Family

I love my Nimravus. Bought it around 1995 or so and it's still ticking.

ETA: I just followed that link. Holy jeezeballs! $210? I have no idea what I paid, but it never would have been that.

Good choice.

They make Moras in a couple different blade thicknesses. Which I didn’t realize until I bought one that was THICKER than I liked. I’d offer to trade you, but they’re so inexpensive I just went out and bought the next one.
That Gerber isn't really a Mora/Puuko profile.

No knock against it, I just wouldn't call it a Mora.

I have two handy here at my desk.

E3E6F6C3-0497-4B8E-9D68-D55C9C832B08.jpeg
This Coleman western hunting knife is almost as old as I am. And it goes with me to the woods for processing game.

I just picked up a Mora for fishing, haven’t even opened up the package yet.
9CE8A461-2615-4171-8964-38E12352BDAF.jpeg

Oh!!! Totally forgot. I did pick up one of these when I built my AR clone of my as issued M-16

13942284-043A-4C43-8C01-14C37F9F7A86.jpeg

AC1AA5AB-C192-414A-AD65-9FA616487D08.jpeg

5C773B85-D657-4E97-8F01-4680219FB338.jpeg

Honestly, I like the M7 over the M9. But eh....

I have several KA-BAR tango in both 8" and 6". I keep a 6" on my battle belt. The 8" is great for camping, but very long for a belt setup. Very affordable knives you can beat on, but still hold a decent edge.

Back
Top Bottom