Need advice on fixed blade knife

I'm looking at buying a fixed blade knife, something 4 to 6 inches in length. I have a few folding knives, but only two fixed knives: a 7 inch Schrade and a 3.5" Cold Steel Mini-Tac. So, I'm looking for something in between those blades in length and I'm not sure which length to go with.

No intended purpose for the knife, just want a fixed blade that's not as big as the Schrade, but larger (and has a better grip) than the Cold Steel.

Esee 6 is a great all around knife you can’t go wrong with.
ESEE Knives, 6P-TG Tactical Gray Plain Edge, Rounded Pommel, Linen Micarta Handles, Black Molded Sheath

If you are looking for something in particular or have a budget that could help narrow things down. There is a lot out there depending on budget, blade steel, corrosion resistance, blade shape, carry method, etc. For stainless I like blades in Elmax, M390, or S35VN. All of these hold up well in the elements, take a wicked edge, and are pretty durable. Especially M390 and Elmax.

Also you mentioned a better grip which will be subjective to each persons hand, but micarta is great wet or dry.

Esee 6 is a great all around knife you can’t go wrong with.
ESEE Knives, 6P-TG Tactical Gray Plain Edge, Rounded Pommel, Linen Micarta Handles, Black Molded Sheath

If you are looking for something in particular or have a budget that could help narrow things down. There is a lot out there depending on budget, blade steel, corrosion resistance, blade shape, carry method, etc. For stainless I like blades in Elmax, M390, or S35VN. All of these hold up well in the elements, take a wicked edge, and are pretty durable. Especially M390 and Elmax.

Also you mentioned a better grip which will be subjective to each persons hand, but micarta is great wet or dry.
I have no preference for the steel or grips or whatever, but I'm not going to spend more than $100 on a fixed blade knife.

For under $100, your only decent choice may be this. Ontario Knife company AF survival knife - swing by a surplus store.

41eZ2XskeNL.jpg

I picked up one of these from Dexter Russell in Southbridge MA and love it. These are on closeout for $50 in their retail store and usually go for over $200.

Green River Tactical™

Dexter Russell (508) 765-0201
44 River St., Southbridge, MA
The store is open:
Thursday 5PM - 8PM
Saturday 8AM - 12PM

As of tax free weekend they probably had about 20 left in different styles. Give them a call.

Tom

For under $100, your only decent choice may be this. Ontario Knife company AF survival knife - swing by a surplus store.

41eZ2XskeNL.jpg

This has been my camp knife since I retired my Ka-Bar. Smaller and feels more dense than the KaBar it’s tough as hell.

Without knowing a purpose its hard to think for you.

Bradford Knives

I have the Guardian 3 and Guardian 4. Both are bombproof camp knives that are sharp enough to shave with, hold an edge a LONG time, and are built to work hard. I love the Finger chole which allows for precision work. Only thing that sucks is resharpening - takes a while. Pricey, but worth it.

Guardian Series - Bradford USA

guardian-4-m390.jpg

You can get a real, original, made in the U.S.A. KaBar for under a 100 bucks. About $75.

True. I found the K-Bar a bit to large for smaller tasks.
I have a couple of the Ontario's and they're ok.
They're heavy duty enough for a cheap camp knife.

I found that blade shape has become more and more important to me for my steel investments. Fitting the tool to the job. Skinning knife, deboning, edc. If I wanted a inexpensive fixed blade with no intended purpose though. I’d probably go kbar. Otherwise I think you get what you pay for. I will put a +1 on Esee. I have 2 or 3 in different lengths. My favorite so far is actually my esee4. Good balance and overall usability. For most of my tasks I find anything over 5” of steel just gets cumbersome. I like dvor for deals. Usually doesnt come with a sheath but can just make one out of kydex or leather as needed.

Ka-Bar knives are wicked cool. If you want a great knife for cheap Morakniv makes a great product. Just keep it dry and oil the blade occasionally.

Fixed blade is stronger.

Folding blade is more convenient but can break if using super aggressive.

I’m guessing this isn’t an everyday carry knife. More likely for camping, chores, SHTF or taking out sentries silently.

Last edited:
Friends,

Why choose a fixed blade over a folding blade? What are the benefits?
Durability, reliability, ease of maintenance, better grip/handle, different carry options, versatility, and cost.

Full tang fixed blades can usually take a hell of a lot more abuse than a folder due to the one piece steel construction over multiple pieces screwed together. This also makes them cheaper in most instances for the same steal and blade length due to ease of manufacturing. Folders you need to eventually clean out and oil the pivot point and liners which usually means disassembling. Fixed blades you just take care of the blade. The handles in fixed blades are undoubtedly more comfortable because they don’t need something to fold into them and they aren’t designed to fit in a pocket. This enables them to be beefier while fitting the contours of your hand better. With a good sheath you can carry it on a belt horizontally or vertical. It can be strapped to your leg or attached to a pack or any number of other carry methods. Ever try using a folding knife as a pry bar or the handle as a hammer? While not advised for folders or fixed blades, the fixed blades can usually take the abuse while a folder is more likely to be damaged.

I am sure others will point out other differences, but that’s a fair list of benefits.

Ontario Knives makes a good knife. So does Ka-Bar. Even Buck Knives are a great bang for the buck. Browse their sites and buy what you like.

I have to question the size of one's manhood if that man doesn't own a Ka-Bar though...

JK...

/okay maybe not....

/okay maybe so...

They're good knives though..

yeah, bucks are decent knives for sure, pretty good price point also. esee knives are very good and my choice for a general all purpose fixed blade. someone one the board here gifted me a esee4 last year and i love that knife. very stout...and they look like they mean business. hold an edge very well, also. something no one mentions, the sheath, that comes with the esee is basic but has super retention and fits up to a 2" belt.

I'm a fan of ESEE knives too. Particularly their 5" blades. Not too big...not too small. Just Right.
Tactical Intent Group has one on sale for $122.65 w/ free shipping (usually North of $135) and are a great company to deal with...
Authentic ESEE 5P-E Tactical Survival Knife, Kydex Sheath w/ Clip Plate | Tactical Intent
~Matt

esee5-1.png

• Overall Length: 11.0″
  • Blade Length: 5.25″
  • Thickness: .25″
  • Steel: 1095 Carbon, 55-57 Rc
  • Finish: Textured Powder Coat
  • Blade Width: 1.56″
  • Grind: Saber
  • Weight (Knife Only): 16 Ounces
  • Handles: Canvas Micarta
  • Black Kydex Sheath w/ Clip Plate
  • Thumb Jimping On Spine
  • Glass Breaker Pommel
  • Bow Drill Divot In Handle
  • Made in the U.S.A.
Or, the plain blade (no serrations)

ESEE-5P-DT.jpg

Last edited:
if all youz guyz were in London, the police would be breaking down your doors as i type this!

Contact GPP on this board. He made the one knife I will take to my grave. 1/4" of O1 tool steel, stays sharp forever and is virtually indestructible. I'm sure he could work with a design of yours, and he won't rape your wallet.

Back
Top Bottom