Need advice for building a ar for a women

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
I'm gonna word this the best I can . I'm 100% for real on this .

My gf had a blast at the car shoot. She wants her own ar now. Two things she didn't like about my ar.

One easy thing she didn't like was the weight . I know how to drop weight from mine so that's easy.

The hard part . Trying not to be rude lol.
Buttstocks for women .

There's a sub-culture of AR enthusiasts who will drop boat loads on the lightest components available. You need to draw the line somewhere.

My lightweight build:

-BCM 14.5'' pencil barrel
-BCM KMR 13'' free float rail
-Magpul PRO sights
-Aimpoint Micro T1
-RSS Spartan stock

I believe my rifle is close to 6lbs. It's been too long since I last checked. This setup is $$$$$. Since I know this isn't what your GF wants, try and make your rifle balanced. Or at the very least, take weight away from the front. Consider a pencil barrel with a light free float rail. Troy Alpha makes a good, somewhat economical free float rail. Some people believe their AR feels lighter if the weight is shifted toward the buttstock. That's only because their dominant hand is pulling the rifle into their body. It could work for your GF. In which case, go with a Magpul fixed carbine stock.

If you don't want to spend any extra money, go with a KISS rifle. Carbine rifle with a FSB, plastic hand guards, rear flip sight, and a pinned M4 stock. That's about as light as it gets without dropping some big bucks.

Magpul MOE or MOE SL buttstock and pin it if you live in the Commiewealth. Light and sturdy. And inexpensive.

as i had this issue with stocks bruising my shoulders from a thread a while ago.. i think i can help you out in that department..

you take a magpul ctr stock, grind it down smooth on the buttplate portion, buy a limbsaver and epoxy or bondo it onto the ctr stock, then smooth out the edges .. Best thing F2Blica did for my gun.. i will never shoot without one.. its on my Ar10 and makes it really easy on the shoulders. same for the AK.. makes it a dream to shoot

as i had this issue with stocks bruising my shoulders from a thread a while ago.. i think i can help you out in that department..

you take a magpul ctr stock, grind it down smooth on the buttplate portion, buy a limbsaver and epoxy or bondo it onto the ctr stock, then smooth out the edges .. Best thing F2Blica did for my gun.. i will never shoot without one.. its on my Ar10 and makes it really easy on the shoulders. same for the AK.. makes it a dream to shoot

you should post a pic of that...sounds interesting

wont there be more recoil if the gun is lighter[wink] my wifes purse is heavier than my rifles!

Whatever you pick for a stock, work with her on finding a comfortable position. Dealing with female .mil shooters, I see a lot of them taking awkward postions to try to overcompensate for anatomy, especially if wearing gear. Any of the Magpul carbine stocks should work, and I think length is a bigger factor than width. Cue juvenile comments.

She don't have a problem with recoil .
It's more of I'm fitting issue .
Weight not a too big of a deal for her and I know how to fix that .

I'm gonna word this the best I can . I'm 100% for real on this .

My gf had a blast at the car shoot. She wants her own ar now. Two things she didn't like about my ar.

One easy thing she didn't like was the weight . I know how to drop weight from mine so that's easy.

The hard part . Trying not to be rude lol.
Buttstocks for women .

Pencil Barrel. ACE ARFX type stock. Done. Good sling does wonders, too.

-Mike

Let's cut to the chase here since Ben has been beating around the bush:

She has a large chest and his stock was uncomfortable for her to hold.

lol that sounded better in my head...

The Batllelink Minimalist stock fits nicely into the shoulder groove while giving space for ... The breast to fit comfortably under the buffer tube...

Best I can do without pics. lol

Let's cut to the chase here since Ben has been beating around the bush:

She has a large chest and his stock was uncomfortable for her to hold.

lol that sounded better in my head...

The Batllelink Minimalist stock fits nicely into the shoulder groove while giving space for ... The breast to fit comfortably under the buffer tube...

Best I can do without pics. lol

Yeah I'm thinking the stock with that curve is the best idea .

Well it also doesn't have the plastic connection from the tip to the butstock which can rub the boob the wrong way...

See how the space is open under the butstock:
View attachment 136371

Last edited:
I saw her shoot, she can hold the AR, but it just doesn't fit right on her. I can relate. Us chicks that were "blessed" have a problem with things working the same was as they would for a man with no chest (or Bruce Jenner pre-surgery). Quite simply, our boobs just get in the way.
The stock I have that BigBlue put on my 9mm SBR is perfect. It's and L and the bottom part is open allowing room for the girls to do what they do best. My AR fits me a hell of a lot better than my husband's AR.
I offered to have your GF try my SBR on Sat but she didn't want to. Maybe next time?
As far as the weight, a full size AR is heavy (for me) but I forget how heavy it is because I'm having too much fun shooting it. Toss a strap on that bad boy for her and adjust as need be.
Hope this helped.

Teach her how to shoot properly. I had a ton of girls, all shapes and sizes, while in .mil come across my line and I had no problem getting them to shoot qual scores with the M14 and the M16A2.

I saw her shoot, she can hold the AR, but it just doesn't fit right on her. I can relate. Us chicks that were "blessed" have a problem with things working the same was as they would for a man with no chest (or Bruce Jenner pre-surgery). Quite simply, our boobs just get in the way.
The stock I have that BigBlue put on my 9mm SBR is perfect. It's and L and the bottom part is open allowing room for the girls to do what they do best. My AR fits me a hell of a lot better than my husband's AR.
I offered to have your GF try my SBR on Sat but she didn't want to. Maybe next time?
As far as the weight, a full size AR is heavy (for me) but I forget how heavy it is because I'm having too much fun shooting it. Toss a strap on that bad boy for her and adjust as need be.
Hope this helped.
I think I'm gonna buy her the same you had . Your 9mm was nice .
She felt weird shooting people stuff she didn't know. She didn't realize that's how nes shoots are lol .

Teach her how to shoot properly. I had a ton of girls, all shapes and sizes, while in .mil come across my line and I had no problem getting them to shoot qual scores with the M14 and the M16A2.
She can shoot pretty good . It's more of a comfort of shooting a lot .

on lady atilla's AR we originally had the ACE entry stock because she wanted something short. well as it turns out a six position tube with the stock collapsed is still a bit shorter than the ACE is.

handguards are free float YHM extended carbine length, low profile gas block, standard A2 grip. it's not as light as it could be, but it's not a beast. i'll echo ed's sentiment when it comes to shooting properly, nicole showed lady atilla some tricks to modify her stance to be more stable and to make it more comfortable shooting. i forget the specifics, but a slightly modified version of this is the end result:

fyPMLzI.jpg

he explains the stance and what the point is with a little more detail here: http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/mattemmonstips.pdf

Why not just add the rubber pad that Magpul makes for the stock: https://www.magpul.com/products/enhanced-rubber-butt-pad™--0-70

on lady atilla's AR we originally had the ACE entry stock because she wanted something short. well as it turns out a six position tube with the stock collapsed is still a bit shorter than the ACE is.

handguards are free float YHM extended carbine length, low profile gas block, standard A2 grip. it's not as light as it could be, but it's not a beast. i'll echo ed's sentiment when it comes to shooting properly, nicole showed lady atilla some tricks to modify her stance to be more stable and to make it more comfortable shooting. i forget the specifics, but a slightly modified version of this is the end result:

fyPMLzI.jpg

he explains the stance and what the point is with a little more detail here: http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/mattemmonstips.pdf

Sorry but he doesn't appear to have any DD's to get in the way of holding his right arm like that with the butstock in his shoulder. Y'all are missing the point: The "correct" stance only works if your body is shaped "correctly". Ed, how many of those recruits had DD+ breasts? Last I knew the Marines forced breast reductions for anything larger than C and I forget what the Army's standards are but I don't remember any BDU's with enough "space".

Ed, how many of those recruits had DD+ breasts? Last I knew the Marines forced breast reductions for anything larger than C and I forget what the Army's standards are but I don't remember any BDU's with enough "space".

We wore coveralls when I was in, so "space" was not so much an issue. I had a few girls nice big boobs come through.

c26f15d54d59efef9d899610ea19c5c6.jpg

This is what I was trying to explain was the problem . Just make the women fuller up top.
The battle link stock looks like it will help.
Now I need to figure out how to paint it like a galaxy ...
c556b476162764494d95c52ef8483a0c.jpg

And save on parts.

c26f15d54d59efef9d899610ea19c5c6.jpg

This is what I was trying to explain was the problem . Just make the women fuller up top.
The battle link stock looks like it will help.
Now I need to figure out how to paint it like a galaxy ...
c556b476162764494d95c52ef8483a0c.jpg

And save on parts.

Hydro dipping

The issue with stocks for women is fairly simple, it needs to adjust to a "toe out" position to be comfortable.

As soon as I solved that issue with my GF's shotgun, all of her shooting problems went away.

I bet you could start with an ACE Entry stock, and add a shotgun adjustable pad set up to allow you to "toe out" the bottom of the stock. All said and done you'd probably still end up with a reasonable length of pull.

An even cleaner solution would to make up an adapter that would allow you to roll out an ACE stock where it attaches to the lower.

The issue with stocks for women is fairly simple, it needs to adjust to a "toe out" position to be comfortable.

As soon as I solved that issue with my GF's shotgun, all of her shooting problems went away.

I bet you could start with an ACE Entry stock, and add a shotgun adjustable pad set up to allow you to "toe out" the bottom of the stock. All said and done you'd probably still end up with a reasonable length of pull.

An even cleaner solution would to make up an adapter that would allow you to roll out an ACE stock where it attaches to the lower.

Thats what I was going to say..... also pitch can play a role. I fitted a stock to my wifes shotgun for trap. or you can go this route or similar

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=485

Also try contacting Maureen Trickett over at reading rifle and revolver shes a great shooter and a great coach Im sure she has some Ideas. http://thecmp.org/from-mom-to-mentor-maureen-tricketts-journey-as-a-female-coach/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom