• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

need a workbench...

I have like 6 of these carts…They fit under the tables that I bought. And then I also bought their actual toolboxes.

I’m looking at the current price of $300 you’ll be out of your mind by them

I have used these as the base for two of my workbenches:
They can support 3,000 pounds and weigh 155 pounds, so they are very stable. All four feet are adjustable, so you don’t need a perfectly flat floor and the overall height is adjustable in 1 in. increments from 28.3 in. to 42.1 in. They are also available in a 6 foot length. You have to wait for them to go on sale. Right now they are $499.99 but I got mine on sale for $285.28. They go on sale every 4-6 months.

FIL has two of these...very decent for the money...

View attachment 533257
I have this in my basement. Works well for cleaning and assembly of Lego guns. Big box, weighs about 100+. Solid, drawers have (thin) felt lining. Wouldn't drop an engine block on it but wouldn't worry about standing on it. Took about 2 hours to put together. Haven't done it yet, but locking casters are a good idea for an upgrade. I don't really move mine much and the floor is unpainted concrete so idgaf about scuffing it or the bottom of the feet, so I may not put wheels on it.

Bench in my shop is from a "kit" from Lowe's. Came with 4 heavy duty plastic legs with pre-drilled spots for the frame. Frame is 2x4, whatever lengths you choose. I built mine to accommodate a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood. That one I WOULD drop an engine block on. Just not a big Hemi or some such...

2x4 frames, double up the legs, 1/2” plywood tops everything glued and screwed, then I add a layer of masonite which serves as a hard smooth and replaceable work surface.

I always build them exactly 2 feet deep and either 6 or 8 feet long.

My 6’ “Gunsmithing” bench is also topped with 2’x2’ carpet tiles which are great for cleaning and working on firearms.

A couple from Craigslist

That first one, bodies were cut on that one.

Workbench preferences, like sharpening techniques, are questions of great consternation and conflict amongst woodworkers. Opinions are strong and borderline on religious.
It's basically the equivalent of a caliber debate.

I'm a big fan of Grainger/Mcmaster metal frame benches with maple butcher block tops for general purpose workbenches. Easy to set up and customize. The tops are thick and flat enough to mount any sort of vise you want.

If you are looking to do actual woodworking most commercially made woodworking benches (ie. Sjoberg) are a waste of money are poorly designed for most handwork.
If you want a proper woodworking bench, either build it yourself or hire a local craftsman to make one.

I have used these as the base for two of my workbenches:
They can support 3,000 pounds and weigh 155 pounds, so they are very stable. All four feet are adjustable, so you don’t need a perfectly flat floor and the overall height is adjustable in 1 in. increments from 28.3 in. to 42.1 in. They are also available in a 6 foot length. You have to wait for them to go on sale. Right now they are $499.99 but I got mine on sale for $285.28. They go on sale every 4-6 months.
Jesus, why buy HD crap when you can get real industrial quality ones at Global Industries for the same price?

Jesus, why buy HD crap when you can get real industrial quality ones at Global Industries for the same price?
Never had heard of Global Industries, looks like a good site for professional stuff. I find the quality/price ratio of this unit fine for my usage. I paid $285.28 for it, picked it up in NH, so no shipping or sales tax. You can find some reasonably good quality stuff at HD, you just have to shop carefully. Closest thing I could find on Global's site for an 8 ft workbench with wood top was $498.95 plus $257.95 shipping, total of $746.90 (not including tax). It’s rated for a 2,000 lb load vs. the HD’s 3,000. I think I’ll stick with my cheap HD unit.

Never had heard of Global Industries, looks like a good site for professional stuff. I find the quality/price ratio of this unit fine for my usage. I paid $285.28 for it, picked it up in NH, so no shipping or sales tax. You can find some reasonably good quality stuff at HD, you just have to shop carefully. Closest thing I could find on Global's site for an 8 ft workbench with wood top was $498.95 plus $257.95 shipping, total of $746.90 (not including tax). It’s rated for a 2,000 lb load vs. the HD’s 3,000. I think I’ll stick with my cheap HD unit.

I have one of the Husky workbenches as well, it is well made and extremely rugged (and I am crazy picky). Really couldn't beat it for the price, I had it delivered to Keene (I go there regularly) to avoid sales tax but mainly to make sure it arrived in good condition, any damage to packaging/it and I was not accepting it (didn't have any issues). Butcher block top was very good quality, with no questionable joints, cracks, etc.

Hardwood flooring makes a nice work bench top.

My father built workbench tops in his shop by gluing together two pieces of 3/4" dense chipboard - then gluing a piece of the brown hardboard/Masonite stuff to the top of that - and then used oak flooring to make a nice edge on it. He's been using that setup for something like 45 years and it's stood up very well. The key seems to be to put a few coats of an oil based polyurethane on the masonite-hardboard. It soaks in and really makes for a work surface you can beat the hell out of .

Plus you can screw things right into it - there is enough wood thickness to do that.

I did the same thing when I finally had a house I could put a workbench in - that bench is still working good for me about 30 years later. For a frame my father scored a heavy steel bench made out of angle iron. On mine I welded up a steel frame from 2" steel tube. Both methods work well.

You can go to places like Global , Grizzly Tools, and Grainger to get steel bench sets without a top. Usually people put butcher block tops on these things - and the top is by far the most expensive part.

if it is very sturdy, then go for it man!
i for one think a work bench should feel like it is made of granite, and not move even a quarter of an inch as you are whaling on something in a vise on it....and a lot of the benches mentioned in this thread would fail that test miserably.

so, an update of the situation - thanks to the kindness of @Palladin i now got his old bench - from one good home to an another, but a much smaller one. :)
from picture will be evident what i was obsessed about - to fit it into the max of available space. fits fine, and it is all i needed, it will serve its purpose perfectly.
will be good for small projects, as big ones would not fit anyway.

bench.jpg

so, an update of the situation - thanks to the kindness of @Palladin i now got his old bench - from one good home to an another, but a much smaller one. :)
from picture will be evident what i was obsessed about - to fit it into the max of available space. fits fine, and it is all i needed, it will serve its purpose perfectly.

View attachment 535358
Glad you got it back together

I had great luck building a reloading bench and workbench with these:

(though mine are not the fancy power coated version).

I build with a lower shelf, and store ammo/bullets/etc on the reloading bench and a collection of full toolboxes on the other. Both add enough weight (combined with the 4x4 pressure treated wood for framing the bench) to not need wall anchoring. But it is a utility workbench, not a woodworking one with the fancy stops, built in vice, drawers. etc.
Are you crazy... he would have to be jeff bezos to afford the lumber right now

View attachment 535358
Now get it messy ! Getting things to fit is the key. My space sucks and my bench is made from all plywood and its pretty darn solid for reloading

View attachment 535358
You may want to screw down a piece of 1/2 plywood on the top, give you a smooth surface

I always put my parts on a towel or mat. That bench is appx 34yo, the top boards are uneven.
i evened them up a bit, when mounting back to the base. it is better now. :) wood it good, it will serve plenty of more years. and i like the feel of wood better then the plywood, but, will see.
i will probably run some sandpaper on top of it to smooth it up a bit, but, it is not critical. thx again - it is a good bench.

I tend to disassemble handguns inside the box 24 cans of beer come in, add a white shop towel and its soft, safe place for small parts, and keeps my fumble fingers from losing smaller sized parts in the labyrinth the top of my bench usually is. Nothing also rolls off the bench top to the far corners of a cluttered floor.

Stainless?
I find wood way more ergonomic and better material to work on. Metal is good if you need to clean it afterwards, for sure, but for household projects- wood only.

Also, as a same topic- I found those lights and they are great:
LED Garage Lights 2 Pack 150W 15000LM with 8 Deformable LED Panels, Screw in E26/E27 Basement Light Ceiling LED Shop Light, Adjustable Garage Lighting for Workshop Warehouse Workbench Attic, 6500K Amazon product ASIN B092QD8CTWView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092QD8CTW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_SQH5W1771Y9E3YF4C0SN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I find wood way more ergonomic and better material to work on. Metal is good if you need to clean it afterwards, for sure, but for household projects- wood only.

Also, as a same topic- I found those lights and they are great:
LED Garage Lights 2 Pack 150W 15000LM with 8 Deformable LED Panels, Screw in E26/E27 Basement Light Ceiling LED Shop Light, Adjustable Garage Lighting for Workshop Warehouse Workbench Attic, 6500K Amazon product ASIN B092QD8CTWView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092QD8CTW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_SQH5W1771Y9E3YF4C0SN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I found out about these kind of lights from my son-in-law. He started using them in the horse barn and they work great, letting you direct the light just the way you want it.

Back
Top Bottom