• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

need a workbench...

I had great luck building a reloading bench and workbench with these:

(though mine are not the fancy power coated version).

I build with a lower shelf, and store ammo/bullets/etc on the reloading bench and a collection of full toolboxes on the other. Both add enough weight (combined with the 4x4 pressure treated wood for framing the bench) to not need wall anchoring. But it is a utility workbench, not a woodworking one with the fancy stops, built in vice, drawers. etc.
I built one of these before. I also built one of those the legs are hard plastic and you attach the legs with 2x4.

I thought it was going to be flimsy, I was wrong, the thing was tough AF. When I got rid of it, I threw it from a second floor and it was fine.

It was one of these. I made mine only 4' wide and added two shelves on the bottom. The bottom shelves had roughly 300lbs of bullets.

SmartSelect_20211017-170411_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I needed the same thing in Albuquerque. Search for used Electronic Workbenches!
They have very sturdy metal frames and legs and are built to last, and I found a shit ton of them at an industrial surplus place. I got it for $100 bucks and it broke down easy for my move to TN.
Also has a built in power strip and shelf for all my test equipment.
With the state of the economy right now, I bet a lot of companies are closing and dumping stuff.
you just have to find out who is buying it up!

I have a 36 x 72" with a lower shelf of this: WST2-2448-36 | Little Giant Products it literally won't fit through the doors in the new place so it is just gathering dust 😢I haven't put it up for sale yet but kicking around the idea.

Edit forgot to add these are fairly inexpensive for what you get, around $500-700 new.

I still don't understand why they let the S&G Titan (and many others) keep their Group I rating with the advent of the black box and the Taylor Security Phoenix. The S&G rep confirmed that the later works on the Titan, with the expected caveat about how that isn't really something to worry about.

Metal frame from McMaster Carr. Butcher block top. Win. Or build your own.
This is what I did but bought at a yard sale for $25. Unsure where the OP is located but a set are on Craigslist

I needed the same thing in Albuquerque. Search for used Electronic Workbenches!
They have very sturdy metal frames and legs and are built to last, and I found a shit ton of them at an industrial surplus place. I got it for $100 bucks and it broke down easy for my move to TN.
Also has a built in power strip and shelf for all my test equipment.
With the state of the economy right now, I bet a lot of companies are closing and dumping stuff.
you just have to find out who is buying it up!
This!! See them all the time, got a few myself

This is what I did but bought at a yard sale for $25. Unsure where the OP is located but a set are on Craigslist
I have these, with matching metal top on one side of my office. Going to build in a table on the other side over the winter. When it's time to leave, I'll hire movers...

Cherry flooring looks beautiful and holds up great.
Sadly, this bench was left at my old house when I moved back in March. Still need to build a new one at the new house and will probably go a similar route.
View attachment 533394
A clean bench is the sign of a sick mind!

Want some stainless steel? Its applied over a plywood substrate. We had a bunch leftover from a project that we did, so I scooped it up! It was never installed. It still has the plastic film on it. I cut up a few pieces to make it a "u" shape counter. The pieces I have a 36" deep and 5',13' and 4' long. I will have to confirm lengths if you're interested.

Attachments

• 20211018_155205.jpg
    20211018_155205.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 49
Because of this thread and because I miss my bench posted above I just picked up
8) 2x4x10’
6) 2x4x8’
2) 4x4x8’ posts

my old bench was 8’x6’.
My new one will be 10’x8’
I’ll stick to the same style because I really liked the function of it and having the recessed shelf underneath so I can sit anywhere and not hit my knees.

I’m not sure what kind of bench top I’ll go with yet.

Want some stainless steel? Its applied over a plywood substrate. We had a bunch leftover from a project that we did, so I scooped it up! It was never installed. It still has the plastic film on it. I cut up a few pieces to make it a "u" shape counter. The pieces I have a 36" deep and 5',13' and 4' long. I will have to confirm lengths if you're interested.
I like that, looks like a lab

FIL has two of these...very decent for the money...

View attachment 533257
Got this as one bench - it’s pretty good for light work. My heavy bench is a steel shelf frame as base with a stack of 2 each 1 inch particle board sheets and a single 1 inch glued-up oak sheet on the top, bolted together. It holds a heavy vise well.

A couple from Craigslist

FIL has two of these...very decent for the money...

View attachment 533257
i have one of those. its VERY lightweight. it works, but if you put a piece of wood in that vice and start sawing on it, the whole bench is going to dance across the room

I bought my benches carts and toolboxes online and from Sam’s Club because Sam’s Club was the one that carried it. It’s like IKEA stuff but with a nice wood surface. I don’t remember the brand…

seville classics ultrahd

Their actual workbench is my least favorite part but all the tables toolboxes carts and shelves with bins for your brass actually really nice. But looking at them 10 years after the fact it looks like the old ones are much nicer than the new ones. The stuff was dirt cheap too I don’t know about the price now

Back
Top Bottom