need a workbench...

paul73

NES Member
so, i have accomplished an impossible feat.
i have managed to make a space in my house for a workbench, where the reloading station will be positioned, as well.
the space can fit a 70" by 36" workbench. i started looking around and see nothing of a kind.
i would like something like this, perhaps:
1634485235152.png
View: https://www.amazon.com/Olympia-Tools-410-327-0111-Workbench-Capacity/dp/B09FXPPQDT

but bigger. i will use it for some minor woodwork, tinkering, whatever can be done - any ideas of where to find something inexpensive?

Find a fire rated door on Craigslist, and build your own, cleat it to the wall, and add 2 4x4s and walah!
Heh. If I find one 6” thick, with dogholes and vise, why not.
I do not even see any for sale, it is rather odd.

That Amazon thing is a fake, btw, reviews say dimensions wrong and quality - crap.

Last edited:
What are you doing with it? If all you need is what most Americans call a "workbench," almost anything will work. But if you want an actual cabinetmaking bench? Well... that's a whole different kettle of fish. I'd avoid that bench in your OP; the pieced-together nature of it makes me wonder about the craftsmanship.

I needed a proper woodworking bench, and I made my own using thick rock-maple benchtops and old Wilton vises I salvaged from a local high school. It was a fun and rewarding project, and it's over 6 feet long. It replaced a little 4-foot one I'd made a few years before, out of a couple layers of poplar. I can do my scrub-planing on my maple one and it barely moves. But if you're looking to buy?

Avoid the HF one, obviously. Sjoberg has always made the best benches, but I think Rockler has a down-market version that might work. You're probably looking at about $1k minumum, up to about $3k. Or? Fine Woodworking magazine does an annual tools-and-shops issue that will give you ideas. Your public library should have those, as well as the compilation books Taunton puts out about benches.

If you can find it?

1634488217870.png

Maybe an old solid core door and one or two pcs of 3/4 plywood on top? And and nice pieces of hardwood for the front and side edges. Jack.
Good, cheap, easy way to go. I second the flooring scraps from a top. Laminate works well.
For a loading bench, the bigger & heavier, the better.
I lucked out when the previous owner of our first home left an old heavy duty wood bench in the cellar. It has followed me to 2 homes since. It now holds a vice, and three Dillon presses.
I think the legs are actually 2" x 4"

Maybe an old solid core door and one or two pcs of 3/4 plywood on top? And and nice pieces of hardwood for the front and side edges. Jack.
yeah, i may end up doing just something like that. but it is truly a last resort.
a usual door will be 80" tall, i do not have it - i`ve got 75" of space, just remeasured.

all i see online is crap, eigher a cheap one or slightly less cheap, but all looks equally crappy.
so far the best frame i see is this $300 thing. but the top is crap.
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QG4FJSY

yeah, i may end up doing just something like that. but it is truly a last resort.
a usual door will be 80" tall, i do not have it - i`ve got 75" of space, just remeasured.

all i see online is crap, eigher a cheap one or slightly less cheap, but all looks equally crappy.

80" would be perfect. You may have to square off the ends anyway. If you don't have a saw to do that, then you have a reason to buy a new tool :)

The top, you can laminate together yourself. It's easy, and you can get maple almost anywhere.

Depends on what you want to spend. Rockler has woodworking benches from $429 to $3775. More importantly they have all the vises and accoutrements you need to build your own. There are many free DIY plans available on the net.

FIL has two of these...very decent for the money...

View attachment 533257
These are on the small and short size IMHO
They are not terrible for the money. They where just on sale for $139 or so. I had 2 over the years. One is now in my friends trailer and one at my moms . I also have a friend whos a fan that uses them as portable benches for job sites.

You will need to secure this bench to a wall if you expect it to stay still for anything but light work.

There are all sorts of bench styles. You will find what works for you and your space.

Last edited:
These are on the small and short size IMHO
They are not terrible for the money. They where just on sale for $139 or so. I had 2 over the years. One is now in my friends trailer and one at my moms . I also have a friend whos a fan that uses them as portable benches for job sites.

You will need to secure this bench to a wall if you expect it to stay still for anything but light work.

There are all sorts of bench styles. You will find what works for you and your space.
I saw them, but reviews were not great.
I will check it at the store, at $160 - it may do. I want a wood vise and ability to mount tools, and drawers are nice to have, will see.

I had great luck building a reloading bench and workbench with these:

(though mine are not the fancy power coated version).

I build with a lower shelf, and store ammo/bullets/etc on the reloading bench and a collection of full toolboxes on the other. Both add enough weight (combined with the 4x4 pressure treated wood for framing the bench) to not need wall anchoring. But it is a utility workbench, not a woodworking one with the fancy stops, built in vice, drawers. etc.

Back
Top Bottom