Need a smith near Harvard Sportsmen's Club for a CZ Shadow with a round stuck in the chamber

Slide is stuck slightly rearward with a round in the chamber.... as far as I know. I know "the mills" must have someone who could help, but can any of you recommend someone specifically there or near there? Thank you guys.93EC14AB-4539-4496-9FCA-BC3CD0235CAA.jpeg

Attachments

• 98052870-2590-4C50-913F-E8B88EA81FDF.jpeg
    98052870-2590-4C50-913F-E8B88EA81FDF.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 49
  • FC9E88DF-F07E-4C2F-A949-C22B3221E967.jpeg
    FC9E88DF-F07E-4C2F-A949-C22B3221E967.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Added a picture of the issue in question. Was also able to aim the phone camera safely to inspect and indeed there is a round in there. At the time I tried rack the slide and I did also try to get it back into battery by hitting the rear of the slide with the palm of my hand. I couldn't get it to budge. Thanks for the replies this far and any further advice and suggestions.

Is this a shadow 1 or shadow 2? Just curious.
Also what ammo or reloads?

You’re probably gonna have to somehow bang the front of the slide against the edge of a table while you firmly hold the frame. It’s not super easy since there’s not a whole lot of surface area. Basically that small amount of material around the muzzle.

Last edited:
Shadow 2. Picture finally added. I wasn't gentle with it initially trying to get it back into battery, but it wasn't budging. Ammo was factory Winchester 115 gram.

Slide is stuck slightly rearward with a round in the chamber.... as far as I know. I know "the mills" must have someone who could help, but can any of you recommend someone specifically there or near there? Thank you guys.View attachment 545897
it is a solid metal frame. with glocks you need to use a wooden plank at the base of the grip - here you just turn gun vertical, barrel looking up and not into your face :) , grab slide very firmly in your hand, and then smack the handgrip at the wooden bench where you are firing.
if you use any turkish ammo it will become a routine as they have shitload of non-concentric rounds that stuck like that. venom stucks like that all the time.

smacking it with your hand like video shows - good luck with that. if you are home - well, a rubber mallet is more gentle than a wooden bench at the range, but, i would not be doing it at home in the basement.

I understand that it's a CZ, but this is what I've done with my Glock when what appears to be the same situation occurs.

Point gun in safe direction, (preferably at berm).
Hold slide very firmly in left hand by placing hand over top of gun and pinching between fingers and thumb.
Bring right hand back about a foot away from the grip, and slam your hand into the grip, hitting the grip with your palm and the web of your hand between your thumb and first finger.

This should drive the frame forward. Either the round will eject, or you'll end up with the slide back and you can use a rod to push out the stuck case.
I'd then examine the extractor.

The couple guys I know at the mill are dealers (good ones!), but unfortunately not smiths. Mike La Rocca in Worcester can help you out. If elbow grease isn't doing the job, probably a good idea to be looking for a smith. When resolved, please post what malfunctioned and how it was fixed.

The couple guys I know at the mill are dealers (good ones!), but unfortunately not smiths. Mike La Rocca in Worcester can help you out. If elbow grease isn't doing the job, probably a good idea to be looking for a smith. When resolved, please post what malfunctioned and how it was fixed.
i bet 90% it was just an oval round. i had it happened to me may be 4-5 times lately, again, mostly due to buying various crappy brass ammo online.
never had it happen with a steel tula, btw. :)

and when it gets stuck, damn, it is usually stuck well. had it in both shadow2 and g34 - g34 seems to be more prone to it.

Problem with the shadow 2 is there is barely any surface area to grab the slide and get a firm grip
plenty of grip there, just need to hold it well, and better wear a glove not to take skin off by the cuts on the slide when you will smack it.
it has enough mass to dislodge it, dunno, unless in his gun something broke inside but looking at it now i cannot think what is could possibly be.

Added a picture of the issue in question. Was also able to aim the phone camera safely to inspect and indeed there is a round in there. At the time I tried rack the slide and I did also try to get it back into battery by hitting the rear of the slide with the palm of my hand. I couldn't get it to budge. Thanks for the replies this far and any further advice and suggestions.
ALSO!!!
it is very important!
be very careful while smacking shadow 2 - the firing pin there has no internal safety, so, it may fire during a good smack, especially if you have an extended pin in there. it did not happen to me, yet - but it is possible, so , just be careful.

plenty of grip there, just need to hold it well, and better wear a glove not to take skin off by the cuts on the slide when you will smack it.
it has enough mass to dislodge it, dunno, unless in his gun something broke inside but looking at it now i cannot think what is could possibly be.
I guess I meant to say compared to something like a Glock or Sig with a blocky slide. The shadow 2 slide is narrower and tapered as you know.

I guess I meant to say compared to something like a Glock or Sig with a blocky slide. The shadow 2 slide is narrower and tapered as you know.
you should get yourself one, it is a great gun. i absolutely love it. it looks like it is not much in there, but in reality it is easier to rack than a glock. different level of quality and machinery.

My guess is that there’s a bulged case (especially if this is Winchester white box ammo were talking about) or the round is too long and is jammed into the rifling. CZ throats are short

you should get yourself one, it is a great gun. i absolutely love it. it looks like it is not much in there, but in reality it is easier to rack than a glock. different level of quality and machinery.
Lol. I was one of the few in MA with one in early 2017. Nice gun for sure. Mine is fully cajunized. 2.5# SA and 5.5# DA trigger

Lol. I was one of the few in MA with one in early 2017. Nice gun for sure. Mine is fully cajunized. 2.5# SA and 5.5# DA trigger
i made finish mine over winter, it needs to get hammer pin depressed - right now it is only springs swapped and firing pin, so SA is at #3-#3.5.
Or i may keep it as is, dunno. i have no issues with #3.5-#3 trigger.

Honestly, I've tried all I'm comfortable trying on my own at this point. Thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions. Still open to any recommendations of a smith in the Metrowest area that any of you have used and have had decent luck with.

i bet 90% it was just an oval round. i had it happened to me may be 4-5 times lately, again, mostly due to buying various crappy brass ammo online.
never had it happen with a steel tula, btw. :)

and when it gets stuck, damn, it is usually stuck well. had it in both shadow2 and g34 - g34 seems to be more prone to it.
Have not had the joy of that experience yet. Never had a problem with WWB ammo, and that's my plinking go-to. I think if I had run across any oval rounds I'd get a jam. I'm using a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel in a G35- so it's basically a bull barrel G34 with slightly tighter dimensions. Easy shootin' tack driver.

This ammo was all from pre-pandemic. Haven't had any trouble with it till this incident, but that doesn't mean there isn't an issue with this particular round.

ALSO!!!
it is very important!
be very careful while smacking shadow 2 - the firing pin there has no internal safety, so, it may fire during a good smack, especially if you have an extended pin in there. it did not happen to me, yet - but it is possible, so , just be careful.
Good advice. I’m not a big fan of trying to smack it back in to battery because now you may be jamming a problem round fully into the chamber and also risking the pin going forward. Gently try and get it back into battery to see if that’s the issue, but don’t force it.

Otherwise, point in safe direction, grip the slide right and smack the grip to try and get the round out as shown in previous posts.

And if you have reached your level of comfort, then stop and bring it to a professional.

Have not had the joy of that experience yet. Never had a problem with WWB ammo, and that's my plinking go-to. I think if I had run across any oval rounds I'd get a jam. I'm using a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel in a G35- so it's basically a bull barrel G34 with slightly tighter dimensions. Easy shootin' tack driver.
I had this problem w some of the Covid TSUSA ammo in my P365 (maybe it was the Belom). I only shoot that ammo out of the full sized guns now, it doesn’t jam as much in the bigger guns and is infinitely easier to clear when it does.

Back
Top Bottom