• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need a smith near Harvard Sportsmen's Club for a CZ Shadow with a round stuck in the chamber

Added a picture of the issue in question.
I asked for a good picture. We can't see sh*t in that pic.

Turn it around, take a pic of the other side, one in an angle from the back, one from the top ...

From your picture, looks you need to put some muscle into it and rack that slide.

ALSO!!!
it is very important!
be very careful while smacking shadow 2 - the firing pin there has no internal safety, so, it may fire during a good smack, especially if you have an extended pin in there. it did not happen to me, yet - but it is possible, so , just be careful.
Smack that behind like you smack your woman.

(JK)

Broccoli, I've added two closer-up images! 🤓 They probably don't tell enough, but I definitely have tried with all MY strength to rack the slide, with grippy gloves even.

Last edited:
With some guns (Many 1911s included) it is possible to pry the extractor off the round by using a small screwdriver with an 1/8" or so wide blade. That may let you get the clide off, maybe. If it's an empty case, you can drive it our with a brass rod and a hammer. If it's a live round doing so can be dangerous because the primer can hit something when the case comes out.

Once the case is out, you need to inspect the barrel and extractor for damage.

Honestly, I've tried all I'm comfortable trying on my own at this point. Thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions. Still open to any recommendations of a smith in the Metrowest area that any of you have used and have had decent luck with.
No shame in calling it quits when live ammo and smacking guns is involved. Give Greg Derr of Derr Precision a call, he is known for 1911s, but this may be in his comfort level to help you out.

ALSO!!!
it is very important!
be very careful while smacking shadow 2 - the firing pin there has no internal safety, so, it may fire during a good smack, especially if you have an extended pin in there. it did not happen to me, yet - but it is possible, so , just be careful.
I was thinking the same thing.
I'm assuming when op said "round" stuck, he means a live round, not an empty cartridge.
Needless to say, if we're talking live round, make sure you take every possible precaution while smacking the slide around.

I was thinking the same thing.
I'm assuming when op said "round" stuck, he means a live round, not an empty cartridge.
Needless to say, if we're talking live round, make sure you take every possible precaution while smacking the slide around.
Yes this should be done at the range and pointed downrange.

Sell it "as is" and buy two or three Caniks with the proceeds ;-)

Good for you for knowing when to tap out and seek help...some of us are much to stubborn to admit defeat....and usually pay a price for it.

No shame in calling it quits when live ammo and smacking guns is involved. Give Greg Derr of Derr Precision a call, he is known for 1911s, but this may be in his comfort level to help you out.
Greg is great, he will work on a bunch of stuff. He did work on revolvers for me and another dude was picking up a revolver when I went there.

It is worth the drive from Harvard.

Update:
Called over to Shawsheen in Billerica and they told me to come on in. One of the guys took it to the back and less than few minutes later he got it unstuck. The round appeared normal looking and the primer had been struck, but obviously it didn't fire. Attached are images of the round in question. Regardless, big thanks to Shawsheen over Billerica and to all who contributed to this thread thus far.

Attachments

• 51C79D10-0FE5-41C0-95DA-E40443DF706C.jpeg
    51C79D10-0FE5-41C0-95DA-E40443DF706C.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 79
  • A62A3FBB-4D78-440A-9ED5-A405FE8A7737.jpeg
    A62A3FBB-4D78-440A-9ED5-A405FE8A7737.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 79
Update:
Called over to Shawsheen in Billerica and they told me to come on in. One of the guys took it to the back and less than few minutes later he got it unstuck. The round appeared normal looking and the primer had been struck, but obviously it didn't fire. Attached are images of the round in question. Regardless, big thanks to Shawsheen over Billerica and to all who contributed to this thread thus far.
Nice! Forgot about Vinny at Shawsheen. Glad it worked out.

Hard to say from the photos but obviously something is off with that round. I'm going to guess it won't pass the "plunk" test. Remove the shadow 2 barrel from the slide and drop the round in and see if it goes into the chamber completely and if you're able to twist/rotate the round with your fingers while it's in the chamber. I would bet you won't be able to.

Update:
These days, you could sell that round on the classifieds here for like $.70.

“LNIB.”

CZ‘s are famous for having unnecessarily short chambers. If that round looked normal I’d take a close look at the chamber, perhaps drop some 9mm gauges in there to ensure it closes on a go.

its also creepy that the firing mechanism allowed a primer hit. My beloved 92 or glock would be unlikely to actuate the sear while that far out-of-battery. Not good to have that round fire if the action is already open.

it is a solid metal frame. with glocks you need to use a wooden plank at the base of the grip - here you just turn gun vertical, barrel looking up and not into your face :) , grab slide very firmly in your hand, and then smack the handgrip at the wooden bench where you are firing.
if you use any turkish ammo it will become a routine as they have shitload of non-concentric rounds that stuck like that. venom stucks like that all the time.

smacking it with your hand like video shows - good luck with that. if you are home - well, a rubber mallet is more gentle than a wooden bench at the range, but, i would not be doing it at home in the basement.
Unless your wife has a large ins policy she doesn't know about ;)

Back
Top Bottom