• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

need a scale rec

While setting up my new reloading area after moving house I totally destroyed the RCBS scale that came with my first kit.

What scale should I get to replace it?

I probably will stick with a balance beam style one, I like to have pretty fine measurements for reloading precision rifle rounds.

I've been using Lee for years with no problems. It's a balance scale, perhaps the simplest measuring implement still made; I doubt you gain anything by spending more money.

I've used a Lyman balance scale for years. It's very accurate but it's easy to knock it out of whack if you accidentally bump it while reaching for something on the bench. So I just switched to an Hornady digital scale. It's about $39 on Scamazon and it works perfectly.

I got a RCBS digital scale (maybe the "rangemaster"), and I'll never go back to a balance beam. I can still trickle in powder for new load development, but more importantly (to me), I can weigh things *fast* and could check every single powder charge if I wanted to. Or sort brass or projos by weight. I wouldn't dream of that with my balance beam scale.

How well do the digital ones work? I usually work with varget, where you can see the difference on the scale from putting in 1-2 of the pieces of powder. I don't know what that is in grains, but I am worried about tricking in powder onto the scale and the readout not changing.

Call RCBS and see if they'll repair or replace the scale before buying another. Nothing to loose other than a free phone call.

100% this. I wore out some parts on my hand priming tool and they sent me the new upgraded replacement parts (they had since unitized a couple of the lever/ball mechanisms that wore out/was causing binding on mine.

How well do the digital ones work? I usually work with varget, where you can see the difference on the scale from putting in 1-2 of the pieces of powder. I don't know what that is in grains, but I am worried about tricking in powder onto the scale and the readout not changing.

depends on your budget, but if you're serious about reloading and constantly working up loads, get the 'real deal' RCBS chargemaster digital scale/dispenser. if you like to try out variations of different loads and 'work up' incrementally, it has no substitutes. I will never have a reloading room without a chargemaster in it.

I've had several balance beam scales and the RCBS 10-10 is, hands down, the finest one !! Extremely accurate with very fast dampening !!!

I think the balance beam scale that I had for reloading was a Lyman "Accuscale". It was orange plastic with a pot-metal beam and a plastic charge cup. The damper broke off when I moved so I called Lyman about replacing the beam. Was told it was WAY out of production. I guess I have been reloading for a lot of years!

I got a Frankford electronic scale and absolutely love it. Simple, accurate, and easy to use.

Good luck.

I use the Lee Balance scale and the Frankford Arsenal DS 750 digital scale. The digital scale is only $20. It is dead on accurate. I check it against my Lee often. I would argue the digital is more accurate then my Lee because you are relying on your eyeballs to line up the arrow.

I've been using Lee for years with no problems. It's a balance scale, perhaps the simplest measuring implement still made; I doubt you gain anything by spending more money.
I will say the lee scales I have had over the past several years have all been accurate they all suffer from random breakage.... I also have a small collection of 505 style scales.
As long as the pivot does not get rusty the old 505 styles are tough to beat.

This does happen and with the less expensive battery only scales seems to be worse.
I bought the Lyman Gen 6 compact digital powder dispenser. So far its been very good. I can trick my hornady scale trickling powder into it. Also my hornady has a blue back lit display and I cant see the numbers well.
Oddly enough my digiweigh scale is the best of the inexpensive scales I own but can be tricked also. They are all temp sensitive. When all possible you should try to keep from moving your scales and as temp stable as possible.

I have a Hornady beam. I have been using it for 4 years and love it.

@5 DOLLAR FOOT LONG I use a Lee Beam and Frankfurt Arsenal Digital. Mostly the Franfurt though and I use the beam to verify the digital every once in a while. That digital scale is dead nuts accurate. And I think they cost $25. I like the digital because it is much quicker. Comes in handy when I am doing rifle because I do not use my press for rifle charges. I drop a charge below my goal then trickle the rest. The digital comes in real handy when doing it. Pete

you can check the claimed accuracy easy enough.
Most scales are +/- .1
my small $30 hornady absolutely sucks smaller charge weights. i can easily trick it by trickling powder into it at most charges under 20 grains.

Back
Top Bottom