Need a plumber - hot water heater replacement.

Hello NES

My hot water heater sprung a leak today. I would like to get an R&R (remove and replace) ASAP. It's a 75 gallon natural gas unit. I would like it replaced with the same size unit (12 year warranty unit). We have a jacuzzi tub so we need the size/volume. Existing unit is dated 2005. Would entertain tankless replacement too but there's no electrical to the installation location at the moment. I also understand that's more work to run the intake/exhause PVC that the tank does not have. The existing unit vents out the chimney.

Any NES plumbers out there interested. Or can you recommend a plumber? I'm in Fairhaven.

Hello NES

My hot water heater sprung a leak today. I would like to get an R&R (remove and replace) ASAP. It's a 75 gallon natural gas unit. I would like it replaced with the same size unit (12 year warranty unit). We have a jacuzzi tub so we need the size/volume. Existing unit is dated 2005. Would entertain tankless replacement too but there's no electrical to the installation location at the moment. I also understand that's more work to run the intake/exhause PVC that the tank does not have. The existing unit vents out the chimney.

Any NES plumbers out there interested. Or can you recommend a plumber? I'm in Fairhaven.
You might need a bigger gas line for on demand also.

I’ll hack both!!!!!!!! Never met a poor plumber. Well, except one who got over extended and screwed up a job for me trying to lead pack a PVC pipe into a PVC pipe. I wanted to kill him.

Delete post! You'll start another sh!tstorm, and not having a license to plumb, you can't get it flowing downhill. [laugh]

Don't plumb on your own one mistake and you'll kill a city block!!!!!!!!!!!%!$%! zomgzs

That said, I have a medium sized electric cold water heater that is in series with a small electric on demand hot water heater. When the tank is down to cold water the hot water heater kicks in and gives at least some hot water (not enough for multiple showers) until the tank heats up again.

Hello NES

If the water is hot, why are you heating it?

I'm scared of gas. That's one I'd hire out.

DSC_0071.JPG

Providing you're OK with no hot water when the power's out.

I intend to stick with conventional natural gas water heaters for that reason alone. No electrical connection and hot showers even when the power's out. Magic.
Great point. We've not had that issue (we seem to be on a grid that does not go out, while the house behind is does..). Our tankless is natural gas.

Let’s see If we could turn this one into “pro’s and Licensed Government plumbers suck, do it all on your own thread”...lol!!!
No that's only for electricians, because wiring is easy! And why do these always end up in general? Is everyone in such a rush to get made fun of on here they never check the sub-section? Roast me next!

When I got married my wife told me her #1 demand was to always have hot water.

I have a tankless Rinnai, but also have a generator.

Tankless gas heaters go for about $2K for the unit (retail), but the plumbers I've talk to charge $4K for one installed.

When I got married my wife told me her #1 demand was to always have hot water.

I have a tankless Rinnai, but also have a generator.

Tankless gas heaters go for about $2K for the unit (retail), but the plumbers I've talk to charge $4K for one installed.

Yea that's a bit steep. I also like the idea of still having hot water if/when the power is out. So I'm leaning towards just another tank. Seems 75 gallon units are in the 1200 to 1400 range. So I'm thinking total for the job would be around 2K maybe. The tankless take up less space, but the warranties aren't any longer. Compairing the cost of operation over the expected warranty life, the savings from the increased efficency does not offset the higher unit and cost of replacement.

OP, I feel for you. I don't know how much of a mess it made, but I learned my lesson a while back and installed a "disaster pan" under mine, draining to the sump. If you can do this, do it. You'll thank yourself 14 years from now.

I'm dowin the basement prerry much every day for tools or whatever. I cought it early. Just a sizable puddle which thie shop vac cleaned up. No damage to anything. Right now I'm turning the valve on and off when we need to shower. When done using hot water I turn the valve off and crach a faucet to relieve pressure. That stops the leak. It doesn't take long for the puddle to reform when it's on though. I'm hoping to have a plumber here Mon. They apparently don't work weekends - for any price.

As others have said - I'm all set with messing with gas lines. That right there is for a pro IMHO. I know my limits. I don't have any of the tools for that kind of pipefitting anyway. The existing unit is hard piped in with black pipe all the way and they'll very likely have to cut and thread new pipe.

Back
Top Bottom