Need a new smith

Ive got an extraction problem on a bolt rifle and need a new smith, so shore would be nice
why not try to figure it out amongst NES . Bolt guns are not overly complicated.
what rifle and what type of problem.
As for the south shore? I cant help. Only smith I trust in this area is greg derr. If you catch him in a slow session building pistols he might help.

Greg told me that he doesn't do long guns.

Dave Santuri in N. Attleboro or Tim Gostling/G&N Gunsmithing in Wrentham are the two I'd consider for this.
Not generally but he’s helped me out and has done a few long gun projects for me.
If anything Greg can offer recommendations
Op let us know who you use and what was wrong.

Ive been reloading for a few years now. I have an Axis with 2k fired.
Ive been using Lake City brass both fl sizing or neck sizing without issue and periodically anneal. I switched to Norma brass, fl size and full prep work. The round chambers fine with no problems. After firing, i can lift the bolt just fine but cant move the bolt rearward to extract without extream hand force to open it. Switch back to LC and have no problem. This also is the case trying to rechamber unprocessed fire formed Norma brass while the LC is fine

Ive been using Lake City brass both fl sizing or neck sizing without issue and periodically anneal. I switched to Norma brass, fl size and full prep work. The round chambers fine with no problems. After firing, i can lift the bolt just fine but cant move the bolt rearward to extract without extream hand force to open it. Switch back to LC and have no problem. This also is the case trying to rechamber unprocessed fire formed Norma brass while the LC is fine
thats a bit strange ? I would get out the mic and start measuring brass and comparing it. It could be possible that the neck is thicker on the norma brass ?
Is this 223 or 308. 06 ?
Maybe the load is to hot for the Norma brass ?
I would clean the chamber and throat really well and then try some loads with less powder. Unless the chamber is some how deformed or theres some sort of demensional problems with the brass hard extraction is often because of over pressure.

the LC might have a far thicker web and less effect on the brass from pressure in that area vs other brass
Redirect Notice

Last edited:
I could use one too for my npap - but Im more in the blackstone area. I used a guy a while back in oxford but he is dead now.

I've used both Greg Derr and Dave Santurri. Both did great work. The last time I went to Greg, he worked on 2 of my rifles. The only question is whether you prefer to drive to Marshfield or N.Attleboro.

Since @ddskehan brought this thread back from the dead, did you ever get this sorted out?

Back
Top Bottom