need a new, sharp, pointy thing

its time I buy a new edc blade and I'm hoping for some suggestions. I currently carry a kershaw/Emerson wave knife, but it's not quite cutting it anymore. No matter how much I use it, tweak the joint etc. it just doesn't open that smoothly for me. Also, not very sharp. If there's something you guys do to improve these problems, I'd like to know.

As it stands, i think I'll buy another despite any tips. Under the following criteria, what might you suggest?:
-under $75 (unless there's something else out there which provides significantly better function for more $$$)
-general AP blade (cutting open packages/boxes, gardening stuff, defense)
-fast opening (I like the wave feature, I like assisted blades a la kershaw)

also, if there's anything I missed or yall would like to add, have at it!

ps: what do you prefer, plain edge/serrated/half n half?

Serrated blades are mostly good for cutting rope or throats. For EDC I would go with a plain edge. I like the Benchmade folders in D2 steel, but those run around $150.

The problem you may be having is that the spring assist on your Emerson is either getting gummed up with shmeg or just wearing out.

If you get a regular quality folder with a thumb stud on the blade, you can open it just as fast and it will last much longer than a spring assist

I'd suggest a real Emerson production. The semi-serrated version of the CQC-7 would give you a working blade with wave. It's about $160-170. If that is too rich, switch to slightly better Kershaw stuff like the Blur, Leak, or Shallot (recommended in that order). I can not believe how cheap (in every sense) the Kershaw "Emerson" knives seem. $30-40?!? Yeesh.

I have been carrying one of these for years now. CRKT -M21- They hold an edge and are rugged and affordable. All I need.

xCRKM2102G1.jpg

Not sure if it's available anymore but I have a Kershaw Ken onion design 1580 ? It's been a great overall pocket knife. I love kicking it out at weddings to cut my steak! It runs just short of abuse edge is still functional sharp. It flips open with ease. Thumb stud is reversible as is the clip. Although I'm pretty good at flicking it open with my left index finger for LH use.
It has a ,little flick open nub on the back edge but I never use it.

Not sure if it's available anymore but I have a Kershaw Ken onion design 1580 ? It's been a great overall pocket knife. I love kicking it out at weddings to cut my steak! It runs just short of abuse edge is still functional sharp. It flips open with ease. Thumb stud is reversible as is the clip. Although I'm pretty good at flicking it open with my left index finger for LH use.

I don't think the Boa is available any more. A nice a Ken Onion design. Kershaw does a bunch of other the Onion designs as... well, varieties of onion names. [wink] I think the Blur is very similar to the Boa, tho.

its time I buy a new edc blade and I'm hoping for some suggestions. I currently carry a kershaw/Emerson wave knife, but it's not quite cutting it anymore. No matter how much I use it, tweak the joint etc. it just doesn't open that smoothly for me. Also, not very sharp. If there's something you guys do to improve these problems, I'd like to know.

As it stands, i think I'll buy another despite any tips. Under the following criteria, what might you suggest?:
-under $75 (unless there's something else out there which provides significantly better function for more $$$)
-general AP blade (cutting open packages/boxes, gardening stuff, defense)
-fast opening (I like the wave feature, I like assisted blades a la kershaw)

also, if there's anything I missed or yall would like to add, have at it!

ps: what do you prefer, plain edge/serrated/half n half?

Clean it, oil it, sharpen it...

For the same money, more or less, buy a Kershaw Blur, or Leek.
Buck and Boker make decent knives in the same ballpark.

Save some money and buy a Benchmade, it'll run you maybe 150 or so, but will last a lifetime with a little care.
Buy a real Emerson, same as a Benchmade, (I prefer the Benchmade, but that's just me).

I'm partial to serrated blades, but I tend to cut a lot of rope with mine.

I carry the cold steel ak47 blade and a boker subcom . Ak47 has a nice emerson wave ripoff thumb stud that will allow to do the same thing

My EDC is a Benchmade MiniGriptillian. They can be had for around $100, or less if you hunt around. Blade is 154CM steel and holds and edge really well. It isn't assisted opening, but its faster than my Kershaw assisted opener is. I really can't say enough good about this knife.

Also I've had multiple Kersaw knives. I make Kershaw steel rust. Not so with Benchmade.

Good choice. My EDC has been the same Endura for 10+ years, and it hasn't had an easy life. The Delica is a half-inch shorter, if the Endura is too large.
They are the most reasonably-priced of the standard-sized Spydercos. Not sure the hook is worth it. In spite of arthritis, using the standard hole I can thumb mine open and then shut it, all very quickly, always one-handed.

Kershaw Skyline. Lightweight, simple, durable as hell, made in the USA, quite a variety of handle/blade colors and types available if you look around (damascus blade, black stonewash blade, orange/blue/tan handles)

This probably won't get a lot of love here, but I've carried a Gerber Paraframe Tanto for several years. It's an inexpensive knife, but has always held an edge respectably, and suffered abuse admirably. I use my edc blade for everything, and have broken 2 doing dumb things with them, so I can't see carrying a $100 knife. With Amazon prime, you can have one on your doorstep Monday for <$25.

Kershaw Leek

Can't you send Kershaw knives back for sharpening? If so, do that and buy a Leek to hold you over.

Discreet, sharp and holds an edge well. Smooth design doesn't snag or goof up dress pants like some G10 ones will.

Grip is probably smoother than optimal for defense use, but better than nothing.

I also have killer sweat that makes Kershaws (and my S&Ws) rust - still just bought my third Leek (lose about one a year).

Back
Top Bottom