Need a machinist to make me a part...

Hey all, been looking around for someone with good machining skills and access to the right equipment to make me a specific part I have in mind...

I want to make a shotgun barrel/magazine clamp that's a bit longer than the usual. Think something like this:

http://www.shop.countrysidewalk.com/Shotgun-Clamp-with-Light-Mount-SMC-1100.htm

But that wraps around the barrel completely, and is about 4" long. Here's a shot of a similar item:

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3364/rtx374.jpg

Basically, a double shroud that fits around the barrel and mag (could be two pieces, top and bottom), that connects and tightens with cross screws (like most of these clamps).

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm located in the Boston area.

Thanks!

that depends on how much you are willing to spend, how fast you need it and how many you need it.

How much? Not sure yet, wanted to get some quotes.

How fast? Within the next few weeks.

How many? Just one.

I don't expect some big machine shop to take this on- it'd probably be easier if a hobbyist or small shop or equipment owner would be willing to do a one off for me. I'm flexible on materials and exact shape, as long as it does what I need.

Thanks!

I have a full cnc shop and cad design abilities.

www.cannibaldesigns.com

I can even get parts powdercoated, anodized etc....

200581_204808712871840_124064610946251_734130_7255065_n.jpg

and the cad

76982_170590812960297_124064610946251_498861_8158983_n.jpg

or

35348_140311719321540_124064610946251_321637_1723806_n.jpg

and the cad

34628_140313742654671_124064610946251_321641_4881454_n.jpg

To make one from sheet metal, that looks like it's 1 of 1,000 you'd need custom tooling to form the D/keyhole shaped part. Closed forms like that require an L punch or a draw die. The U with the hems is easy. Custom tooling for coining closed forms like the keyhole typically run $2,000-$5,000.

To make one that looks like it's a prototype, press braked and hand hammered to finish your looking at a few hours and a few attempts by a skilled sheet metal fabricator. Be prepared to supply the barrel you want it to fit.

There are cheaper ways to make a similar part on a press brake with standard tooling, if you don't require the closed keyhole shape.

It might be cheaper to machine one with a similar design than have one fabbed from sheet.

Last edited:
To make one, that looks like it's 1 of 1,000 you'd need custom tooling to form the D/keyhole shaped part. Closed forms like that require an L punch or a draw die. The U is easy. Custom tooling for coining closed forms like that typically runs $2,000-$5,000.

To make one that looks like it's a prototype, press braked and hand hammered to finish your looking at a few hours and a few attempts by a skilled sheet metal fabricator. Be prepared to supply the barrel you want it to fit.

There are cheaper ways to make a similar part on a press brake with standard tooling, if you don't require the closed keyhole shape.

I would probably cut a piece of steel to the correct length, face both ends, and cut the profile on an edm and done...

I would probably cut a piece of steel to the correct length, face both ends, and cut the profile on an edm and done...

This is the best way to get a very high quality part, I just wasn't sure the OP is willing to pay that kind of money. My shop has 2 EDMs. Not cheap machines to run.

Ok, now we're in business! This is the sort of talk I wanted to see :)

To clarify, I really just need the part to clamp the barrel and magazine tightly together. I'm no expert on machining, specific metals, or the advantages and disadvantages of different techniques. In other words, if sheet metal is pricey, I won't do it just for sheet metal's sake. Whatever gets the job done easiest and looks half decent wins. And Xtry51, I was absolutely intending on bringing in the barrel and mag for fitting. One of the reasons I wanted to find a machinist with a gun background was specifically so I could do so without raising any alarm...

Groundscrapers, is there a number I can reach you at?

And to all others- keep the ideas coming!

Last edited:
I'd cast this clamp in aluminum, as this would provide very snug fit and take any odd shape easily, without figuring out how to machine curvatures right. It doesn't look like a money maker, so it's just a one off curiosity piece. I'd be happy to do it for some karma points, but there is no way I can't get to it in the next couple of weeks. If you still want to do this later in the month, pm me. I like oddball projects.

Definitely. Down side is it will dent easily. Have it hard coated, not anodized. This will help prevent wear marks and small dings.

Cool. Naive question, but in a clamping capacity, is aluminum still strong enough?

Aluminum alloys have a really wide range of properties. You don't want pure Al. Some cast alloys are pretty close to mild steel in compression strength, I used it to do short runs pressing sheet metal, it's also brittle. It really depends on the clamp design, but done right its stronger than it looks.

Xtry, can't tell if you're interested in this (or just advising), but if you do think you can knock one out affordably, please also PM me.

Thanks!

Definitely. Down side is it will dent easily. Have it hard coated, not anodized. This will help prevent wear marks and small dings.

By anodizing, I was implying hard coat black anodizing to Mil-A-8625. Thats the coating I did on that emblem I posted.

I tried to send you a PM but it bounced back. If you're still looking for someone then let me know, I may be able to help.

Sorry, didn't realize my inbox was full- cleared it out. Yes, I'm still very interested- send away!

Last edited:
Bump. Have gotten some responses and am following up. But would love more, as I'm looking to have this built ASAP. Thanks any and all!

Back
Top Bottom