• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need a fishing buddy

Recently moved to Cambridge from the middle of PA. I went from endless hunting/fishing resources out of my back door to next to nothing here in the city. I am an avid trout fisherman (both spinning and fly fishing) and I typically went out 1-2 times per week during the spring/summer/fall. Unfortunately I don't know where to go around in MA. I am told that most fish lakes/ponds but I much prefer streams/rivers. Anyone here in MA want to a new fishing buddy to show around? I prefer trout, but I have no problems going after bass and stripers (especially the later). Feel free to respond here or pm me. The more friends the better. Thanks

Last edited:
I prefer trout, but I have no problems going after bass and strippers (especially the later). Feel free to respond here or pm me. The more friends the better. Thanks

[laugh] Yeah, I'm always after them too! [rofl]

No, seriously If you're ever on the Cape I'll point you towards some decent fishing spots. Nothing secret of course, just beaches that people tend to do well on in the Spring.

[laugh] Yeah, I'm always after them too! [rofl]

Oh the jokes that could be told. I guess I should proof-read before hitting enter (correction made). A point in the right direction is always nice but I am more looking for someone to fish with. Especially with stripers since I have never targeted them, although I have done my share of steelhead fishing.

If by fishing, you mean getting out of the house, sitting in a boat and drinking all day...I'm your man. I'm on the other side of the state though. :(

I mean any type of fishing, from hiking a mile or more in the woods to hit a stream to sitting in a boat and enjoy some cold beverages of choice. Travelling is not a problem for me as I feel some things are worth the gas money.

You have one of the best fishing rivers right in your area. Yes, the Charles. Don't eat anything out of it but that river has pretty much every kind of fish that swims in fresh/brackish. It's a bit of urban/combat fishing at times though.

Start in the early spring for largemouth and smallies. Go upstream above the Watertown dam for trout and large pike. Crappies and sunfish are all over the place and you will have to fight them off with a club at times. Huge, I mean HUGE carp and goldfish/koi are all around looking for a free handout and are easily fooled with breadballs on a small hook. You can also try the Sudbury river for carp. Monsters live there.

Late spring when the herring run up the river, start throwing LARGE lures. Especially at dusk/dawn hours. I caught one the largest stripers ever out of the Charles. 41"

If you're looking for stockies, look at the stocked trout pond list distributed by the Mass DWFG. I've had great luck at Walden and White's ponds which is a nice drive directly west out of Cambridge on rt2. Fly guys do well generally a few days after the initial stocking, otherwise stick with cheating using powerbait.

You have one of the best fishing rivers right in your area. Yes, the Charles. Don't eat anything out of it but that river has pretty much every kind of fish that swims in fresh/brackish. It's a bit of urban/combat fishing at times though.

I was excited to fish the Charles when I first moved here (before I knew of the pollution). They laughed at me at Roach's Sporting Goods when I brought up the idea. Perhaps I should give it a try afterall.

Check out the fishing group here on NES.

If you wanted to drive out west, the Quabbin is a great place. I would suggest that you make a whole day of it. You can bring your own boat ( I think there is a size requirement) or you can rent one of their boats. If you want to rent a boat just get there early enough because the boats go quick.

Check out the fishing group here on NES.

If you wanted to drive out west, the Quabbin is a great place. I would suggest that you make a whole day of it. You can bring your own boat ( I think there is a size requirement) or you can rent one of their boats. If you want to rent a boat just get there early enough because the boats go quick.

I believe they rent them at gate 8 in Pelham. Good lake trout area

I suppose that I need to be a NES member to do that? I have only been on the site for a week and I was thinking of joining anyways. This will just be one more reason.

Guess so....sorry! There is a Hunting & Fishing section too though.

Go green and you wont regret it[wink]

You don't have to go far for stripers, even better if you have a kayak. You can hit Faun bar just of Deer island.

Also, check out these articles on fishing in and around the harbor.

http://www.fishfinatic.com/NewsArticles.html

If you want to venture 40 minutes north to the mouth of the Merrimack River on Plum Island, you can escape the urbanites.

I fish out of the Merrimack on my boat. On weekends, I venture offshore for cod and haddock. Occasionally I go Tuna wishing as well. Could make a spot for you when the season comes about.

I believe they rent them at gate 8 in Pelham. Good lake trout area

Yes, I believe Gate 8 is where Mikey goes. I have only gone shore fishing up there ( not to many good spots though). I hope I get to go out on the water this spring/summer.

Thanks for all of the advice. I have visited the mass wildlife site (I am not used to a state that has the fish and game under one management). But my real question is....who wants to go to these places with me. I know that most don't like giving their fav spots out and I am not asking you to do that, I am looking for someone to fish with. Plain and simple.

when the weather is better, you are more than welcome to check out buttermilk here-- we have a boat

we fish a lot of the local lakes/ponds too

Oh, by the way, I decided to take the plunge and go green. This site certainly seems to be helpful, especially given MA user-friendly gun laws. I hope that this site gets as big as pafoa.org, it already seems as friendly.

Oh, by the way, I decided to take the plunge and go green. This site certainly seems to be helpful, especially given MA user-friendly gun laws. I hope that this site gets as big as pafoa.org, it already seems as friendly.

Hey congrats on going green!!

In the spring Mikey usually tries to put a Quabbin trip together....just keep your eyes open.

Look into fishing Jamaica pond in Boston. They have breeder stock trout in there over 12 lbs.

If you're a C&R kinda guy I'd be happy to show you some streams in eastern/central Mass where you'll almost always find willing trout and, with just a short walk, usually have the whole place to yourself. Better we do it in May, though.

Back
Top Bottom